Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

From "The Guy of the Guy"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KingTitan


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 14780
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
ironlion wrote:
What does an Eric berry contract look like??

5/50$ million



The cap continues to increase... he'll be one of the top FAs in the entire league, not just at S... Thomas and McCourty signed for the essentially the same yearly avg 2 seasons ago. Harrison Smith broke that last season... as did Mathieu, by a good chunk

Look for him to get close to or surpass Mathieu's contract.... 5 years, $62M... $40M guaranteed for injury will be the big question mark (he's 5 years older than Mathieu at the time of signing)


The issue with the Mathieu contract comparison for Berry(or at least I'd think) is Mathieu plays a lot of corner too. Berry doesn't.


I don't think that matters. I think Berry will become the highest paid defensive back. Just the way it goes. Kinda like how Conley is the highest paid NBA player. It's not a matter of who is the best, but timing and demand for the player.
_________________
Proud member of the DARK SIDE. I've embraced Mike Murlarkey as my Head Coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Hope-


Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 27524
Location: bawstun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, one thing i will never get tired of about mularkey is the guy flat-out does what he says. getting rid of a receivers coach isn't a huge deal, but think of how many times during the whisenhunt era (and even munchak as well) that we just had no idea what the rhyme or reason was for anything we were doing during the offseason. there's been such a clear direction and plan with everything mularkey (and robinson) has done so far and there's really no reason not to expect that to continue. kuharsky hinted that the players feel the same way, which i'm sure was not insignificant in getting everyone to buy in the way they did:
Quote:
As Titans players have praised Mike Mularkey, it's become really clear 25 games removed from Ken Whisenhunt: Many hated his scheme, which rated as too complex, and they didn't feel he and his staff followed through on promises and plans.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 7634
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
man, one thing i will never get tired of about mularkey is the guy flat-out does what he says. getting rid of a receivers coach isn't a huge deal, but think of how many times during the whisenhunt era (and even munchak as well) that we just had no idea what the rhyme or reason was for anything we were doing during the offseason. there's been such a clear direction and plan with everything mularkey (and robinson) has done so far and there's really no reason not to expect that to continue. kuharsky hinted that the players feel the same way, which i'm sure was not insignificant in getting everyone to buy in the way they did:
Quote:
As Titans players have praised Mike Mularkey, it's become really clear 25 games removed from Ken Whisenhunt: Many hated his scheme, which rated as too complex, and they didn't feel he and his staff followed through on promises and plans.


Ken Whisenhunt is the worst head coach I've personally ever watched, and that's coming from someone who also had to closely watch Derek Dooley.

I've never been a guy to say "fire him" after one season but I was done with Whisenhunt after the Browns game in 2014. I was probably the last guy to be on either the fire Fisher or fire Munchak "bandwagon", but I might have been the first on the fire Whisenhunt bandwagon.

We asked Charlie Whitehurst to throw 3 straight passes instead of running clock vs them, and they ended up winning the game.

Kurt Warner deserves a spot in the hall of fame solely based off of carrying him to a superbowl.

What an absolute joke of a coach.
_________________

#MTGA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 6854
Location: TX
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
ironlion wrote:
What does an Eric berry contract look like??

5/50$ million



The cap continues to increase... he'll be one of the top FAs in the entire league, not just at S... Thomas and McCourty signed for the essentially the same yearly avg 2 seasons ago. Harrison Smith broke that last season... as did Mathieu, by a good chunk

Look for him to get close to or surpass Mathieu's contract.... 5 years, $62M... $40M guaranteed for injury will be the big question mark (he's 5 years older than Mathieu at the time of signing)


The issue with the Mathieu contract comparison for Berry(or at least I'd think) is Mathieu plays a lot of corner too. Berry doesn't.


I don't think that matters. I think Berry will become the highest paid defensive back. Just the way it goes. Kinda like how Conley is the highest paid NBA player. It's not a matter of who is the best, but timing and demand for the player.


I don't think Berry will quite get Norman money (5 years, $75) although I could be wrong... but I believe he'll be one of the top 5ish secondary players paid (Mathieu's currently 6th). As for Mathieu, even when he plays CB, its in the slot... he's not getting paid that money to play outside corner... which is where the top money is at. Berry's contract will be right there with him (and possibly surpass it).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 14780
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
ironlion wrote:
What does an Eric berry contract look like??

5/50$ million



The cap continues to increase... he'll be one of the top FAs in the entire league, not just at S... Thomas and McCourty signed for the essentially the same yearly avg 2 seasons ago. Harrison Smith broke that last season... as did Mathieu, by a good chunk

Look for him to get close to or surpass Mathieu's contract.... 5 years, $62M... $40M guaranteed for injury will be the big question mark (he's 5 years older than Mathieu at the time of signing)


The issue with the Mathieu contract comparison for Berry(or at least I'd think) is Mathieu plays a lot of corner too. Berry doesn't.


I don't think that matters. I think Berry will become the highest paid defensive back. Just the way it goes. Kinda like how Conley is the highest paid NBA player. It's not a matter of who is the best, but timing and demand for the player.


I don't think Berry will quite get Norman money (5 years, $75) although I could be wrong... but I believe he'll be one of the top 5ish secondary players paid (Mathieu's currently 6th). As for Mathieu, even when he plays CB, its in the slot... he's not getting paid that money to play outside corner... which is where the top money is at. Berry's contract will be right there with him (and possibly surpass it).


I'm sorry let me clarify. I mean top paid safety. Not defensive back.
_________________
Proud member of the DARK SIDE. I've embraced Mike Murlarkey as my Head Coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 32949
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan Ryan seemed like a target all along(no surprise there) and I really would prefer elsewhere. McCourty news sucks. Hopefully he refuses a pay cut and is cut because he needs to be. Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.
_________________

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VY-FTW


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 7514
Location: I'm WAYYYY Up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell this guy I love him KT. Thanks Laughing
_________________

Adopt a Titan:
Jurrell Casey
Tajae Sharpe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VY


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 3621
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.


They have to probably pick between Berry & Poe, as I imagine Poe will be able to garner a huge deal as well. My guess is they'll let Berry walk, thinking that he's peaked (which is not totally out of the question).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttitansfan4life


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 32949
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.


They have to probably pick between Berry & Poe, as I imagine Poe will be able to garner a huge deal as well. My guess is they'll let Berry walk, thinking that he's peaked (which is not totally out of the question).


You actually believe that? Berry comes before Poe and I don't even think it's close.
_________________

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 6854
Location: TX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
VY wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.


They have to probably pick between Berry & Poe, as I imagine Poe will be able to garner a huge deal as well. My guess is they'll let Berry walk, thinking that he's peaked (which is not totally out of the question).


You actually believe that? Berry comes before Poe and I don't even think it's close.


I actually believe it's very close... and with the firm believe that it all starts in the trenches, I'd probably go Poe as well right now. He's been a beast of NT for the chiefs, getting a push up the middle, allowing the pass rushers to feast on the QB. The Chiefs are also very thin on the DL, and should prioritize keeping him.

As for safety, whether it's for us or the Chiefs, there seems to be some depth in FA after Berry. Whoever doesn't break the bank for Berry, still has Jefferson, Cyprien, and a few other guys who were graded pretty high by PFF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanSS


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 6194
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
VY wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.


They have to probably pick between Berry & Poe, as I imagine Poe will be able to garner a huge deal as well. My guess is they'll let Berry walk, thinking that he's peaked (which is not totally out of the question).


You actually believe that? Berry comes before Poe and I don't even think it's close.


I actually believe it's very close... and with the firm believe that it all starts in the trenches, I'd probably go Poe as well right now. He's been a beast of NT for the chiefs, getting a push up the middle, allowing the pass rushers to feast on the QB. The Chiefs are also very thin on the DL, and should prioritize keeping him.

As for safety, whether it's for us or the Chiefs, there seems to be some depth in FA after Berry. Whoever doesn't break the bank for Berry, still has Jefferson, Cyprien, and a few other guys who were graded pretty high by PFF.


Poe is a 350 lb NT who can rush the passer. I think he ran like 4.8 at the Combine at 350 lbs. He is special. So is Berry, but it's very close in my mind as well.
_________________
Jason McCourty
Wesley Woodyard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 35096
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Poe is a 350 lb NT who can rush the passer. I think he ran like 4.8 at the Combine at 350 lbs. He is special. So is Berry, but it's very close in my mind as well.

And the fact that Poe is two years younger and will likely cost less than Berry will definitely play a role. I'd personally rather have Berry, but there's a definite argument to be made.
_________________

Props to mike23md on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VY


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 3621
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
VY wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Of course Berry is a dream target, that and all the rest of the teams in the league..... Hard to believe he even comes close to FA though. I could easily see the Chiefs cutting Foles and then even Charles to make room.


They have to probably pick between Berry & Poe, as I imagine Poe will be able to garner a huge deal as well. My guess is they'll let Berry walk, thinking that he's peaked (which is not totally out of the question).


You actually believe that? Berry comes before Poe and I don't even think it's close.


I actually believe it's very close... and with the firm believe that it all starts in the trenches, I'd probably go Poe as well right now. He's been a beast of NT for the chiefs, getting a push up the middle, allowing the pass rushers to feast on the QB. The Chiefs are also very thin on the DL, and should prioritize keeping him.

As for safety, whether it's for us or the Chiefs, there seems to be some depth in FA after Berry. Whoever doesn't break the bank for Berry, still has Jefferson, Cyprien, and a few other guys who were graded pretty high by PFF.


It's a lot harder to find a guy who can do what Poe does, especially at that size. I personally like Berry better, but that's due to homer tendencies. If Poe hits the market that would have to be a very intriguing option for J-Rob. Can't fathom how much that would help Casey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocolateman78


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 6202
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I firmly believe they would take Poe over Berry. And Poe would most certainly be the higher paid of the two.

Berry is already the 2nd highest paid safety with his tag behind Honey Badger. I expect him to top out at 13-14 mil on the open market.

Poe on the other hand would likely top Oliver Vernon's record setting 52.5 mil as well as his 17/year salary if he hit the open market.

The other reality is that this is a deep draft for safeties. Not too many options to replace a guy of Poe's calibur.

but who knows. i think its 50/50 odds Berry hits FA
_________________

**RIP Steve McNair**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RuskieTitan


Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 43803
Location: Front lines of Titania
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel either Berry gets a long term deal with the Chiefs, or they tag him again to get more time to negotiate. Either way, I'm not holding my breath he hits free agency.
_________________

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group