Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fred Smoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Fred Smoot Reply with quote

We need him now!
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. If not then I want us to trade up and draft Antrel Rolle, Adam Jones or maybe Carlos Rogers, if he shows that he can play the run.
rav5220

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in ourple and black tomorrow. Look at that secondary. Reed, McCalister, demps, and smoot. Now it truly is total domination. Lose the offense and just send out the defense.
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do have a few things going for us. apparently weve already talked about brining in Smoot before free agency began, Smoot would play for a winning oranizing, which i heard thats something he wants and weve also go the wildcard Deon Sanders. If Sanders returns, i really think we have a good shot a Smoot, Sanders is Smoot's god. Thats why he wears #21, i remember an interview with on MNF the year after Deon retired and Smoot said he wants to be the next Deon Sanders. What kid wouldnt want to play with his childhood hero?
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. But the question with Smoot is, will we be willing to pay more than others? His signing bonus is going to be more than $14 million. I don't know whether the Ravens will shell out that much money. They might rather target a first round CB.

Still, they probably rate Smoot above Baxter, and by the sound of things, they might see Baxter as a top free safety and Smoot as a top cornerback, and hence would be willing to pay a lot more for Smoot.
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id give Smoot more money then id give Baxter. Luckily, i think our only competion for Smoot if it comes down to a bidding war will be Minnesota(who hopefully sings Ty Law) since Dallas and Carolina already picked up CBs. Im pretty sure weve got more cap space then the rest of the teams looking for a CB. I really think all we need to do now is resign Douglas, pick up a top guard(DeMulling is who i want) and maybe another WR, so we could put a good amount of money into Smoot if neccesary
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bidding for Smoot does get to a certain price, there would be a point where Newsome would think "would I rather pay X amount for Smoot or would I rather go with a cheaper option financially and trade up to draft one of the top cornerbacks."

The bidding for Smoot might never get that high, but if it does then Newsome might decide there is a better course of action. He won't pay a ridiculous amount for anyone. He and Billick are always talk about bringing guys in at the "right price", they won't pay more than they are willing.
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we dont land Smoot, we should consider Ty Law even though he isnt the yougest guy on the market. As for the draft, its likely going to be tough to trade up for Rolle because we would likely have to move into the 6(ahead of the vikings) and thats tough to do, moving up only a few spots for PacMan or Rogers seems much easier for us.
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd get either Rolle or Jones at 7, if we traded with the Vikings.
raven5255

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently he has a 10 mil. signing bonus waitign for him in washington. I hope Newsome can give Smoot a better offer. Our only FA priorities now are Marques Douglas, a starting guard, and CB and weve around 14 mil under the cap. Youd think it wouldnt be to hard to pick up a guard like rick demulling, marques douglas, a 2nd WR like Hilliard or Terrell, and Fred Smoot.

Last edited by raven5255 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marques Douglas is a DE, not a guard. And from what I've heard, if Burgess isn't re signed, then Douglas may go to Philly. as for Smoot, a deciding factor in getting him will be Deion Sanders. smoot worships sanders, and if Smoot knows he could be on Deion's team, that would definitely give us an edge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know who marques douglas is, when did i say he was a guard?
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my bad,
i misread and i though when you said "Marques Douglas, a starting guard" I guess i thought that you were referring to Douglas, my bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: