Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

H.O.T. 7: DRAFT Thread! Post here check pg. 36
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position are you most concerned about for the upcoming season?
Left Guard
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Left Tackle
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Right Tackle
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
NT (1tech)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

SoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the safeties we've taken look like future starters to me. Seems like we're looking for situational role players who fit a niche and core special teamers.
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
None of the safeties we've taken look like future starters to me. Seems like we're looking for situational role players who fit a niche and core special teamers.

I've seen that we may try and turn Tyson into a corner.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
imani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way we approached this draft personally, in terms of position. Don't know enough about the prospects to judge them.

Traded down for assets twice and still got our guy
4 picks in the secondary, emphasis on ballhawks
Took a chance on Dline upside twice
Got a tony McDaniel replacement (potentially)
Drafted someone who is poised to push Kearse
Two olinemen chosen

These are a lot of the things that I personally felt we needed to address going to the offseason. I also hated our lack of a power back and zero depth at safety. On paper that's all been shored up.

I applaud the approach the FO took to this offseason, now let's see what these prospects can do.

--------------------

PS: any project freaks/spark beasts left in this draft?

brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the Seahawks had a heck of an offseason thus far.
brseahawks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should look the Darboh/Moore and Griffin/Tyson signings in perspective.

Darboh seems to correspond to fit the prototypical Seahawks outside receiver, and Moore is almost identical to him, phyisically? Why double down on this? Because I think they believe they wouldn't be able to attract many UDFAs in this position to compete not only with Darboh, but with Richardson, McEvoy, Lawler, K. Williams for a roster spot. The same applies to the Tyson pick to compete in the outside CB depth chart, behind Lane and Shead, which is gonna be stacked (Griffin, Elliott, Thorpe, McCray). They also picked OL (Senior) and RB (Carson), positions that don't have any clear top guy sans Britt at C and Prosise as 3rd down back, but are deep in players competing for a spot.

So they picked in the final two rounds players of position that they might be unable to attract as UDFA. This is a nice thing to learn.

But why the Seahawks needs to add two guys to compete in WR and 2 guys to compete at outside CB? Simple. Need to get the next man up ready to save 5 million by cutting Kearse and 6 million by cutting Lane next season.

Not by cutting Graham.
wa3rh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they attracted darreus rogers (usc) a udfa signing .
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

I agree with possible exception of Tedric. If ET goes down again or retires (lol) then I actually think Tedric might find a spot in there. I'm not so sure he has the range of Earl Thomas but he has great instincts and is a ball hawk.

The other safeties are all niche/role players IMO. Hill/Tyson are great tacklers but not so great in coverage. I could see them getting nickel looks though. Seattle appears to want to move to a 4-2-5 base almost exclusively with how they drafted. No linebackers (only used 3 about 15% of the time last year) and a ton of safeties that have great tackling/run defending skills, but are a bit weaker in pass protection, which you really don't need an AMAZING pass defender in nickel, especially if they are getting physical and jamming.

No surprise Tyson would be converted into a corner.. Hill will probably do the same thing. They'll play nickel CB and be asked to constantly jam slot receivers which both can easily do because they are very physical safeties. I would be shocked if Carroll ever planned to start either of them at the actual SS position unless injury forces the move or they EXCLUSIVELY play zone which surprise surprise Seattle does. Asking either of them to cover massive areas deep or match up with a TE/WR is going to result in a lot of gained yards, but I don't think they'll use them that way unless a play breaks down.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were talking about Tyson as an outside CB, not a slot, primarily. It is all in the presser notes in the Day 3 Thread

#1 ET Supporter
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL_Announcer wrote:
SoS wrote:

I agree with possible exception of Tedric. If ET goes down again or retires (lol) then I actually think Tedric might find a spot in there. I'm not so sure he has the range of Earl Thomas but he has great instincts and is a ball hawk.

The other safeties are all niche/role players IMO. Hill/Tyson are great tacklers but not so great in coverage. I could see them getting nickel looks though. Seattle appears to want to move to a 4-2-5 base almost exclusively with how they drafted. No linebackers (only used 3 about 15% of the time last year) and a ton of safeties that have great tackling/run defending skills, but are a bit weaker in pass protection, which you really don't need an AMAZING pass defender in nickel, especially if they are getting physical and jamming.

No surprise Tyson would be converted into a corner.. Hill will probably do the same thing. They'll play nickel CB and be asked to constantly jam slot receivers which both can easily do because they are very physical safeties. I would be shocked if Carroll ever planned to start either of them at the actual SS position unless injury forces the move or they EXCLUSIVELY play zone which surprise surprise Seattle does. Asking either of them to cover massive areas deep or match up with a TE/WR is going to result in a lot of gained yards, but I don't think they'll use them that way unless a play breaks down.

Yea my feelings on Tedric's potential as a future starter has more to do with the fact we have Earl here. He should make for a great 2nd safety on passing downs though.
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Jordan Roos, our top paid UDFA OL out of Purdue. 41 bench reps and would have been the second most athletic OL at the combine (based on his pro day numbers). He'll be in the mix this summer

Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Keep an eye on Jordan Roos, our top paid UDFA OL out of Purdue. 41 bench reps and would have been the second most athletic OL at the combine (based on his pro day numbers). He'll be in the mix this summer
Related to the Titans Roos?

#1 ET Supporter
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
Related to the Titans Roos?

Nah, tho it is listed that his father played football in college.

imani

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeckel-Glowinski-Britt-Pocic-Ifedi

Is my favorite paper oline combo right now

brseahawks

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Joeckel-Glowinski-Britt-Pocic-Ifedi

Is my favorite paper oline combo right now

While I wouldn't move Glow (his combo with Britt was the only thing consistently starting quality last season), I see the merit of moving him back to his more natural position (RG), given Ifedi is not RG anymore, but our RT of the future (per Carroll). Pocic's frame is not that suited to guard at the next level imo.

I see the competition next season being;

LT: Fant vs Senior vs Joeckel/Odhiambo
LG: Joeckel vs Odhiambo
C: Britt vs Hunt vs Pocic
RG: Glowinki vs Aboushi
RT: Ifedi vs Pocic

PFF is very high on Aboushi and Pocic. I could even see the starting OL on week 1 being something like:

Joeckel - Glowinski - Britt - Aboushi - Pocic

This would look more of a veteran line up. The rawer, higher upside guys (Ifedi, Odhiambo and Fant) would have a season to sit and study the ZBS, and would imo benefit a lot from not getting totally roasted for having to learn on the fly.
SoS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal OLine lineup would be Fant-Odhiambo-Britt-Ifedi-Pocic.

Honestly my IDEAL lineup would be giving Odhiambo a chance at LT and keeping Glo at LG. Pundits are speculating that Rees is going to give Glo a serious run for his money this season at LG, and the team just doesn't seem to view him as a LT at all, so I'll keep it realistic.

Ifedi is going to get murdered if moved to RT, and the fact that we have Pocic and Aboushi capable of a higher level of play at that position lends me hope that we will keep Germain inside. Aboushi and Joekel, at the very least, are terrific swingmen that provide stable depth in case of injury.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 42 of 45

Jump to: