Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Su'a Cravens Should Be The Lions 1st Round Selection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lions4Eva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Why Su'a Cravens Should Be The Lions 1st Round Selection Reply with quote

**This has no affiliation to FFMD, this is in the actual draft**

Su'a Cravens has been rapidly gaining hype. Despite this he still appears to be a second-round talent. However, within the second round, his stock is rising. He has no specific position, as he is a hybrid SS/OLB, similar to another player that came out of USC, Troy Polamalu.

Cravens has great athletic abilities, a trait TA loves in his defense. Although I'm not suggesting the Lions take him at #16. I am suggesting they find a way to draft him. Whether that means trading into the high twenties or the beginning of the second round, it must be done. SS is not necessarily an area of need for the Lions, as the offseason additions of Tavon Wilson and Rafael Bush somewhat solidify the position. However, OLB can be addressed; Cravens could start at either position and rotate in the other position.

He is a rare blend of size, althletisism and versatility; something the Lions could use.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why Su'a Cravens Should Be The Lions 1st Round Selection Reply with quote

Lions4Eva wrote:
he is a hybrid SS/OLB, similar to another player that came out of USC, Troy Polamalu.
....Or Taylor Mays....

Why the all bold? Not certain, but there are probably rules against that.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not similar to Taylor Mays or Troy Polamalu at all

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also haven't solidified the SS spot with Wilson and Bush. They are fringe roster players, not guys you consider to have filled a starting spot with.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am a fan of Cravens at SS. He could play in the box and allow Quin to do his things over the top. My problem is we have some glaring issues otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the process of working on a mock with us taking him in the first for a few days now, so I would approve. Though ideally we could trade down into the 20's to take him. Not sure if it will be possible IRL though.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd puke
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
He's not similar to Taylor Mays or Troy Polamalu at all
Just dislike when people find a draft prospect and decide they are just like a surefire stud from the past. I wasn't saying he was "like" anyone whatsoever. Only pointing out that Taylor Mays fit the exact profile he was portraying as such a surefire stud.
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thank you. I don't see the first round talent there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
I'd puke

I agree, project WILL. Might succeed there.
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
I'd puke

Just not the type of guy that this team needs.

The Patriots (or a consistently good team) can afford to take a guy like this and the boom/bust that he offers. We shouldn't.

At best he fills a position (OLB) that we already have some quality players at. I don't see anyone really projecting him to play S in the NFL.

In the second round? Maybe, but I still wouldn't be happy. But he's far too risky to take at 16.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
I'd puke

The Patriots (or a consistently good team) can afford to take a guy like this and the boom/bust that he offers. We shouldn't.

At best he fills a position (OLB) that we already have some quality players at. I don't see anyone really projecting him to play S in the NFL.

In the second round? Maybe, but I still wouldn't be happy. But he's far too risky to take at 16.

I've seen Cravens talked about at both spots (some at LB specifically, some at S specifically, and the obvious tweener/hybrid label). Pretty sure I read that the Lions are looking at him at S.

Think you guys are underselling Cravens, but then again, I've been a fan of his game for a long time so I'm not exactly completely unbiased. The Lions could absolutely use a player like Cravens. Whether or not he should be the pick over other guys or where to pick him is obviously the bigger question.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he pairs fairly well with Quinn, who I think is one of the better coverage FS in the NFL. He, along with Levy, could potentially be a pretty solid option for defending those tough match up tight ends that you see more and more of in the NFL. I wouldn't mind drafting him, but I'd greatly prefer trading back before doing so.
All hail Nnivolcm.

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
I'd puke

I've seen Cravens talked about at both spots (some at LB specifically, some at S specifically, and the obvious tweener/hybrid label). Pretty sure I read that the Lions are looking at him at S.

Think you guys are underselling Cravens, but then again, I've been a fan of his game for a long time so I'm not exactly completely unbiased. The Lions could absolutely use a player like Cravens. Whether or not he should be the pick over other guys or where to pick him is obviously the bigger question.

He won't consistently be able to cover legit NFL TE's let alone WR's or RB's in space. Just my thoughts on why he'll fail as a safety.

If he moves to LB, I think people can expect a player like Deone Bucannon who is pretty solid as a ILB for Cardinals 3-4 defense. A player who can cover above average for a LB'er, tackles well, and doesn't leave much space for the offense to work with. In a 4-3 defense I think he would do fine on the outside.

Just my thoughts though. He could prove to be great in coverage making up his physical speed with mental processing. I'm just not believing it till I see it at the next level.
Smack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense (not to me, but thinking about what the Lions are likely to do).

The Lions have stuck with playing the nickel as a base defense, and rarely going with 3 true linebackers, under Caldwell and Austin so far, even after drafting Van Noy. A tweener who can play as an in-the-box safety or a coverage linebacker might be a really intriguing piece to them.

I personally still am stuck on using that first pick on any defensive lineman simply because of the incredible quality and variety available, from nose tackles to speed rush OLB tweeners and everything in between.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: