You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Paragon PC/PS4
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 17 and video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sportskid_021


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 10352
Location: Delphi83 on the sig!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Paragon PC/PS4 Reply with quote



https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/

Paragon is the latest MOBA from Epic Games (Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and the Unreal Engine itself) that will be F2P on both PC & PS4.

It's in the alpha stages right now & I've had the opportunity to play the pc version the last couple weekends. Early beta is this spring with the open beta this summer. If MOBA are your thing I suggest checking this out. I've had a ton of fun, tho I'm hoping to get in on the PS4 tests.

I can't discuss a ton from the tests because of the NDA but it's definitely something I'm looking forward to. Anyone else playing currently?
_________________


"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reason anyone should play this game with all the MOBA's that are already out? I looked up some game play and it's appears this game is in 3rd person, which is already a format done by Smite.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Moderator
Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 17463
Location: Flipadelphia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
What's the reason anyone should play this game with all the MOBA's that are already out? I looked up some game play and it's appears this game is in 3rd person, which is already a format done by Smite.

It's a really interesting time

I can't remember a market that became this over-saturated before most of them came out and went gold. The long alpha and beta tests have only made it more murky.

Like with most of these I think you buy into the developer, character design/art style, and camera. Bonus points for unique features.

I like the aesthetic of Paragon. But I don't have a non work PC or PS4 so until it comes to Xbox (if it even does) it's off my radar. Right now Overwatch is probably the one I'll latch on to.
_________________

Eagles Forum Hall of Famer | 2013 Gold Standard Baldy | 2015 Steegles Baldy | The Reigning ENBD Champion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
What's the reason anyone should play this game with all the MOBA's that are already out? I looked up some game play and it's appears this game is in 3rd person, which is already a format done by Smite.

It's a really interesting time

I can't remember a market that became this over-saturated before most of them came out and went gold. The long alpha and beta tests have only made it more murky.

Like with most of these I think you buy into the developer, character design/art style, and camera. Bonus points for unique features.

I like the aesthetic of Paragon. But I don't have a non work PC or PS4 so until it comes to Xbox (if it even does) it's off my radar. Right now Overwatch is probably the one I'll latch on to.
Yea, people are seeing the massive piles of money that League of Legends and Dota 2 are pulling in and want to jump on board. The one thing about this game that I like from what I read is that it seems like it's going to follow Dota 2's model of all heroes being free from the start and there is nothing you can buy other than cosmetics. I think this is the best business model for the consumer, but most other MOBA's (League, Heroes of the Storm, Smite) all have heroes that you can unlock via in-game currency or by spending real money.

I think one interesting thing Epic could do is use characters from their current and past titles and put them into this game. Heroes of the Storm does this. Their hero base is made up of characters from World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and Starcraft and it helps pull in new players because they're already familiar with the lore and characters. Epic obviously has several amount of characters from the Gears of War series they could use (both good guys and the locust) and I'm sure there are other popular titles Epic has produced as well as introducing brand new characters (like the ones they have trailers of right now).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Moderator
Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 17463
Location: Flipadelphia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Kiltman wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
What's the reason anyone should play this game with all the MOBA's that are already out? I looked up some game play and it's appears this game is in 3rd person, which is already a format done by Smite.

It's a really interesting time

I can't remember a market that became this over-saturated before most of them came out and went gold. The long alpha and beta tests have only made it more murky.

Like with most of these I think you buy into the developer, character design/art style, and camera. Bonus points for unique features.

I like the aesthetic of Paragon. But I don't have a non work PC or PS4 so until it comes to Xbox (if it even does) it's off my radar. Right now Overwatch is probably the one I'll latch on to.
Yea, people are seeing the massive piles of money that League of Legends and Dota 2 are pulling in and want to jump on board. The one thing about this game that I like from what I read is that it seems like it's going to follow Dota 2's model of all heroes being free from the start and there is nothing you can buy other than cosmetics. I think this is the best business model for the consumer, but most other MOBA's (League, Heroes of the Storm, Smite) all have heroes that you can unlock via in-game currency or by spending real money.

I think one interesting thing Epic could do is use characters from their current and past titles and put them into this game. Heroes of the Storm does this. Their hero base is made up of characters from World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and Starcraft and it helps pull in new players because they're already familiar with the lore and characters. Epic obviously has several amount of characters from the Gears of War series they could use (both good guys and the locust) and I'm sure there are other popular titles Epic has produced as well as introducing brand new characters (like the ones they have trailers of right now).

Yea the popularity of league and dota just shocked everyone...still does to some.
This second/third wave seems to be mostly about taking the moba formula and making it more palatable to mainstream audiences using flavors they are familiar with like FPS, third person camera, characters you know, etc..

Yea they could bring their back and current character catalog in for sure. Though since they sold Gears to Microsoft that would be a licensing thing they probably wouldn't bother with.
Gave me an idea though of the logical next step of instead of Super Smash Bros style multi franchise crossovers....I could totally see Microsoft, Sony, or EA take their characters and create a MOBA with them. Have installed fanbases, character design is out of the way, stages/levels can be set in each of the different worlds the characters come from or other properties they own. Would just be mainly balancing and locking in what you define their abilities as.
_________________

Eagles Forum Hall of Famer | 2013 Gold Standard Baldy | 2015 Steegles Baldy | The Reigning ENBD Champion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these games are too late. Dota 2 is the toughest moba to play and League is right there. Games like Heroes of the Storm took that same type of formula and made the game way easier for people to play. Smite came in with it's really casual approach adding different type of game modes (such as Arena free for all) to the genre and the 3rd person view.

That's why I look at this game and it just seems like a mix of other mobas that are already out and established. I'm a big fan of the moba genre, but I don't see any real reason to play this Paragon game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sportskid_021


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 10352
Location: Delphi83 on the sig!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
That's why I look at this game and it just seems like a mix of other mobas that are already out and established. I'm a big fan of the moba genre, but I don't see any real reason to play this Paragon game.


There's nothing wrong with that viewpoint & maybe I'm just having more fun some I've played some since early alpha & someone I personally have met (and sorta know) is working with the game.

But if you signed up for the beta you'll b able to play weekends now or else it's buying one of the "founders packs" to start playing friday or waiting til the summer when it's open beta.
_________________


"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportskid_021 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
That's why I look at this game and it just seems like a mix of other mobas that are already out and established. I'm a big fan of the moba genre, but I don't see any real reason to play this Paragon game.


There's nothing wrong with that viewpoint & maybe I'm just having more fun some I've played some since early alpha & someone I personally have met (and sorta know) is working with the game.

But if you signed up for the beta you'll b able to play weekends now or else it's buying one of the "founders packs" to start playing friday or waiting til the summer when it's open beta.
I'm more asking, what is it about this game in particular that's different from other games already in the genre? From what I've seen, it's a 3rd person view and will be on both console and PC.... the game looks really casual, which is great. But it also looks exactly like Smite pretty much. What does this game offer me that Smite doesn't offer?

Smite is really unique because it was the first major moba to ditch the top down camera view angle and also the first one to effectively implement other game modes other than the normal default 3 lane tower pushing moba game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 53676
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a MOBA with a different setting, more futuristic mech action, less spells and demons. There's still a ton of people who don't know about MOBAs and are turned off by wizards and goblins. That could be enough to attract a different audience that thinks all these Harry Potter games are "gay", and shooting and blowing crap up with robots is big boy stuff. That's pretty much how games separate once a genre becomes saturated.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

D#######
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
It's a MOBA with a different setting, more futuristic mech action, less spells and demons. There's still a ton of people who don't know about MOBAs and are turned off by wizards and goblins. That could be enough to attract a different audience that thinks all these Harry Potter games are "gay", and shooting and blowing crap up with robots is big boy stuff. That's pretty much how games separate once a genre becomes saturated.
In Smite, they actually use real Gods from Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc lore. A lot of these Gods I wasn't familiar or never heard of, but they have these videos on YouTube where they reveal new Gods when they're added to the game where they give basic info like what their abilities do and examples of using them in real fights, but they also give lore for the God. Also, when I type a God in from the game I can see their Wikipedia page and other info about them outside of the game.

I think that's a really cool angle, as opposed to a bunch of games that just make up characters from scratch. Seeing Gods like Ares, Zeus, Athena, Thor, and tons of others I instantly can recognize was really nice.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knowledge


Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1323
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
sportskid_021 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
That's why I look at this game and it just seems like a mix of other mobas that are already out and established. I'm a big fan of the moba genre, but I don't see any real reason to play this Paragon game.


There's nothing wrong with that viewpoint & maybe I'm just having more fun some I've played some since early alpha & someone I personally have met (and sorta know) is working with the game.

But if you signed up for the beta you'll b able to play weekends now or else it's buying one of the "founders packs" to start playing friday or waiting til the summer when it's open beta.
I'm more asking, what is it about this game in particular that's different from other games already in the genre? From what I've seen, it's a 3rd person view and will be on both console and PC.... the game looks really casual, which is great. But it also looks exactly like Smite pretty much. What does this game offer me that Smite doesn't offer?

Smite is really unique because it was the first major moba to ditch the top down camera view angle and also the first one to effectively implement other game modes other than the normal default 3 lane tower pushing moba game.


The graphics and terrain is what got me to purchase early access. The game visually is beautiful. Also with the different levels of terrain it adds different game play and strategies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I signed up for the beta/alpha (whatever it is) on PC. I'd be willing to give this game a spin, but still don't see why I would play this over Dota or Smite.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sportskid_021


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 10352
Location: Delphi83 on the sig!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already signed up for the beta you will have this weekend for free access. If you sign up before Saturday you can get the following weekend for free.
_________________


"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TXsteeler


Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 2514
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard about this game, looks pretty cool.

It definitely has the best graphics out of any moba by far, it looks really good.

This is the video I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyWMS_349MM&spfreload=10

I like that it has z axis gameplay, no other major MOBA that I can think of (are there more than 4 major MOBAs right now? LoL Dota, HoTS, Smite and?) have cliffs you can jump off of or really any place where you can take advantage of high ground and such which is cool.

The cards system adds depth but its disappointing to me that you have to play to unlock them and that you can apparently pay with real money to speed up how fast you earn them as this stuff creates an unfair advantage for new players.

The developers say it isn't p2w and that you can only buy cosmetic items so apparently all heroes are free, we will just have to see how the cards work to determine if they are really that advantageous or not.

As far as what this game can do to get players to play it over other MOBA's, well, it already did the biggest thing it could do, which is be futuristic sci fi instead of the swords and magic fantasy that every other moba is so far.

It can also of course just have fun gameplay, The only other third person MOBA is Smite and many people may not be into smite for various reasons, but not only just the camera style, but just fun gameplay where shooter and MOBA combine. Overwatch isn't a MOBA and Smite isn't really a shooter, so if Paragon does a better job of blending the two, which it kind of looks like it might be doing, it will create its own niche.

Like I said, it's got Z axis, it's got a unique style, the best graphics, if it pulls off the shooter moba blend that will all sum up to be as unique of a MOBA as any of the others, and infact more unique than the others which will get people to try it out.

If it does the rest of the gameplay well, and can do a good job with the shop and stats (create actual dynamic builds and not just meta go to items, let people actually counter eachother, or atleast be just as good as the other games) then this game could break out to be on par with some of the other mobas.

I could see it stealing players from Smite that want a third person MOBA but don't want that style or would prefer the sci fi over the gods stuff.

I could see it stealing players from overwatch that want a shooter thats also a MOBA but realized that overwatch isn't a MOBA.

I could see it stealing players from League of Legends because that game is old as hell and most of their players already probably have several hundred hours played if not thousands.

Dota players are hardcore and probably won't come over regardless but who knows.

Game looks interesting, I hope it can deliver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l3lind golfer


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 53842
Location: California
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't tried this game out yet, but I will at some point. I was a Dota 2 player only at one point. I never really got into League because the two games were so similar that I didn't see a point. Then I started playing Smite because the game was so different than Dota 2. The thing with this Paragon game is, it's not all that much different than Smite other than the way the graphics look really realistic and the fact that it has all these different levels to the terrain.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 17 and video games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group