Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Niner News Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
In other words:

Baalke = stupid
Me = zen

This is an absolutely perfect overview of the matter. Laughing

I really should start all my posts with that.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

In other words:

Baalke = stupid
Me = zen

I'm all for this. Can you take over for Baalke, please.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

In other words:

Baalke = stupid
Me = zen

I'm all for this. Can you take over for Baalke, please.

Sure. You can expect a low of threads with polls from now on.

Let's cut down the roster. Michael Wilhoite, yes or no?

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 6m6 minutes ago
Carlos Hyde rushed vs. 5+ DBs only 14% of the time last year. Eagles RBs rushed vs. 5+ DBs 82% of the time.

Kind of important.

El ramster on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 6m6 minutes ago
Carlos Hyde rushed vs. 5+ DBs only 14% of the time last year. Eagles RBs rushed vs. 5+ DBs 82% of the time.

Kind of important.

That's good info to have, but only if teams feel concerned of our passing attack. If not, it's not going to change all that much.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, but Kelly's scheme will always have opposing defenses use 5 DBs on 80 percent or more of the plays.

Quote:
Matt BarrowsVerified account ‏@mattbarrows 43m43 minutes ago
New 49ers DC Jim O'Neil says Jimmie Ward has been playing well at CB, will continue to play there this week of OTAs.

He also said they don't know yet what position Ward will play, but just that he needs to be on the field at all times.

El ramster on the sig
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Absolutely, but Kelly's scheme will always have opposing defenses use 5 DBs on 80 percent or more of the plays.

Quote:
New 49ers DC Jim O'Neil says Jimmie Ward has been playing well at CB, will continue to play there this week of OTAs.

He also said they don't know yet what position Ward will play, but just that he needs to be on the field at all times.

I'm fine with that. If he covers better than another CB, let him cover. If he plays the slot better, let him play the slot. If he can play center field better, let him play center field. Move him around, mix it up. I really want Jimmie to be on the field all the time.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, everyone said that about Mike Martz's offense when it came here, too, but then everyone around the league said "So...we're supposed to be scared of the team without a quarterback or wide receiver? Nah..." And I feel the same respect could be granted to this year's crop of players at those positions. Granted, Kelly got great production out of below average players in Philly, so it could be different...but if it's not, there's no way opposing defenses are going to trout out that many DBs if all they have to fear is the RB (and maybe not even that).

And I'm beyond happy with Jimmy Ward as the second starting CB. That could be fantastic for the defense.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I mean is Kelly doesn't use a FB and uses a lot of three WR sets forcing defenses to use 5 DBs. Unless teams use the base defense for three WR sets like we did a few times with Fangio, but that would give us some openings in the zone.

El ramster on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Well, what I mean is Kelly doesn't use a FB and uses a lot of three WR sets forcing defenses to use 5 DBs. Unless teams use the base defense for three WR sets like we did a few times with Fangio, but that would give us some openings in the zone.

I know what you meant, but I'm saying it doesn't matter how many wide receivers a team trots out if the defense knows they don't have to worry much about them. If you know the quarterback isn't going to push the ball downfield further than 10 yards, then you know you don't need more than 4 defensive backs on the field, because merely matching a linebacker up on a wide receiver won't matter much if you know that A) you can get to the opponent's QB fast, B) the linebacker will only have to cover within a 10 yard window, and C) the opponent is just as likely to run as they are pass.

We know C is correct just by Kelly's history of running the ball, and that would also be the lone strength we are likely to have for sure.

We know A has been correct for some time, in general, and know that if Pears is on the field (as he is currently lining up with Brown struggling with conditioning early), that it is possible this still might be the case (especially if Kilgore gets injured and Martin has to play). We also know that will likely be the case if Kaepernick is the QB sensing phantom pressure.

So that leaves B - and if A is correct, B might become only a secondary concern, because there's only so much time the QB will have.

I'm not saying it WILL be that way - I'm only saying that an offensive mad scientist who WANTS to throw the ball and push it downfield is not the only piece of the equation. With adequate (not even good, just adequate) pass blocking and competent (not even good, just competent) quarterback play, then yes - that should be a big difference.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers have resigned Kendall Gaskins:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-sign-rb-gaskins-two-year-deal

My guess on the thought process: "Well...we have this open roster spot and like four running backs already competing for spots on this team and needing reps...but...someone else might lower next year's $90 million in cap space to $89 million. Can't have that. Let's go with someone we know we can cut."

---

Seriously, what's the point of this? Is Gaskins suddenly going to offer something he hasn't in the past? He was cut to make room for 12 undrafted rookies last month, meaning last month the team already thought 12 people who have never seen an NFL practice field and weren't even valuable enough to get drafted were still more valuable than him. He's not likely to beat out any of Draughn, Harris, Davis, or Taylor, and all of those 4 are going to need reps to showcase that they belong on the team as backups to Hyde. Gaskins is literally just a body. Not even someone new who might inadvertently help the team (such as Draughn and Harris last year). Just a body.

I mean, I wasn't expecting some wild late offseason maneuver, but at least try, how ever minutely, to improve the team in some way by fostering SOME sort of competition.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:

My guess on the thought process: "Well...we have this open roster spot and like four running backs already competing for spots on this team and needing reps...but...someone else might lower next year's $90 million in cap space to $89 million. Can't have that. Let's go with someone we know we can cut."

---

Seriously, what's the point of this? Is Gaskins suddenly going to offer something he hasn't in the past? He was cut to make room for 12 undrafted rookies last month, meaning last month the team already thought 12 people who have never seen an NFL practice field and weren't even valuable enough to get drafted were still more valuable than him. He's not likely to beat out any of Draughn, Harris, Davis, or Taylor, and all of those 4 are going to need reps to showcase that they belong on the team as backups to Hyde. Gaskins is literally just a body. Not even someone new who might inadvertently help the team (such as Draughn and Harris last year). Just a body.

I mean, I wasn't expecting some wild late offseason maneuver, but at least try, how ever minutely, to improve the team in some way by fostering SOME sort of competition.

Maybe he doesn't get any meaningful rep, but still learns the system well enough to be our mid-season signing, when Hyde, Davis, Draughn and Harris are all injured, and we have a rookie starting. We all know he's getting cut in camp. And we all know no other team will sign him (maybe the seahawks). So we know he will be available if we *shudders* need him.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Maybe he doesn't get any meaningful rep, but still learns the system well enough to be our mid-season signing, when Hyde, Davis, Draughn and Harris are all injured, and we have a rookie starting. We all know he's getting cut in camp. And we all know no other team will sign him (maybe the seahawks). So we know he will be available if we *shudders* need him.

Well true - but the same can be said for whomever else we could have brought in that was not already named Kendall Gaskins. At least look at another UDFA maybe. There are still some out there without any love.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:

---

But ... but ... but, he's a big back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Well true - but the same can be said for whomever else we could have brought in that was not already named Kendall Gaskins. At least look at another UDFA maybe. There are still some out there without any love.

Yeah, but Gaskins is already fitted for his uniform, name plate is stitched, and the team doctor already has a bottle of his favored foot fungus cream. Why go through all the trouble of adjusting to a new/better player? Gaskins is convenient!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: