You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Teddy's Wants and Needs (No 5th year option? Pg.72)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 39281
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
If Bridgewater goes on the PUP to start the year and doesn't come off this year, his contract rolls over into 2018, just something to consider.

Quote:
On Teddy Bridgewater: This is his last contract year. If he started on PUP & never came off for ’17, his contract tolls. It adds a 2018 year

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/857260881826250752


What does add a 2018 year mean in relation to

Implications if not picking up 5th year option ?
Implications if picking up 5th year option ?


So his 2017 season I believe then becomes his salary for his 2018 season as insurance basically pays him the whole year on PUP (or long term disability would). So the Vikings wouldn't actually pay him in 2017 if he spends the whole year on PUP.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 8631
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
If Bridgewater goes on the PUP to start the year and doesn't come off this year, his contract rolls over into 2018, just something to consider.

Quote:
On Teddy Bridgewater: This is his last contract year. If he started on PUP & never came off for ’17, his contract tolls. It adds a 2018 year

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/857260881826250752


What does add a 2018 year mean in relation to

Implications if not picking up 5th year option ?
Implications if picking up 5th year option ?


So his 2017 season I believe then becomes his salary for his 2018 season as insurance basically pays him the whole year on PUP (or long term disability would). So the Vikings wouldn't actually pay him in 2017 if he spends the whole year on PUP.


But that wouldn't exactly extend his contract with MIN would it?

Originally
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / + Option 2018

If now misses 2017
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / Add / 2018 / + Option 2019 [I cant see this being right]

Or Just
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 [insurance paid] / + Option 2018 (2017 Salary) [I can't see this being right]
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 39281
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 wouldn't be an option year, it would be:
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 [Insurance/Disability] / 2018

The 2017 year just gets moved to 2018, it wouldn't be an option year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 8631
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
2018 wouldn't be an option year, it would be:
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 [Insurance/Disability] / 2018

The 2017 year just gets moved to 2018, it wouldn't be an option year.


Would he get the "5th year option" pay in 2018 even if its not an option.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paradise lost


Joined: 06 Feb 2015
Posts: 1371
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Would he get the "5th year option" pay in 2018 even if its not an option.


no, once they decline his option his contract is officially a four-year contract. the fourth year would then toll to the next year at the same amount that was agreed to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 39281
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
2018 wouldn't be an option year, it would be:
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 [Insurance/Disability] / 2018

The 2017 year just gets moved to 2018, it wouldn't be an option year.


Would he get the "5th year option" pay in 2018 even if its not an option.


No, he'd get his 2017 salary.

Think of it if you were to sign on to work for a company for three years and you take a year off in the middle after the second year. According to your contract you still need to work for them another year, even though it's been three years because that's what your contract said.

So last year Bridgewater was working for the Vikings and got hurt, however, if he's on the PUP the whole year, he won't have worked at all in 2017, so he still has another year of work left on his four year contract.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 8631
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
2018 wouldn't be an option year, it would be:
2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 [Insurance/Disability] / 2018

The 2017 year just gets moved to 2018, it wouldn't be an option year.


Would he get the "5th year option" pay in 2018 even if its not an option.


No, he'd get his 2017 salary.

Think of it if you were to sign on to work for a company for three years and you take a year off in the middle after the second year. According to your contract you still need to work for them another year, even though it's been three years because that's what your contract said.

So last year Bridgewater was working for the Vikings and got hurt, however, if he's on the PUP the whole year, he won't have worked at all in 2017, so he still has another year of work left on his four year contract.


Thanks, I'm a bit surprised this is in the CBA.
It's a disservice to Bridgewater.
Bridgewater didn't "take a year off", he was injured in on field activities, so an injury spanning 2 years, means that he now has to forfeit his earlier FA and play under a rookie scale wage for an additional year.

That does not seem 'fair' at all to TB, surprised the Players Association allowed this provision.
Quite different, than voluntarily taking a year off of work just cause.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Casserly was just on NFLN saying Teddy is a better QB than any of these rookies. I know it's unlikely, but wonder if any of those teams would give Rick a call?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 10825
Location: Portland, OR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Charlie Casserly was just on NFLN saying Teddy is a better QB than any of these rookies. I know it's unlikely, but wonder if any of those teams would give Rick a call?


What would it take for you to say yes? I have no idea.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
perrynoid


Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 4255
Location: Bismarck, Norse Dakota
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Charlie Casserly was just on NFLN saying Teddy is a better QB than any of these rookies. I know it's unlikely, but wonder if any of those teams would give Rick a call?


What would it take for you to say yes? I have no idea.


Probably a mid-round pick in this draft, and conditional picks in the next draft(s)? I'd certainly consider it.
_________________
However, you're right that it did improve a bit. I'm just not sure I trust our coaching staff to develop offensive lineman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SemperFeist


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 7944
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting quarterbacks are worth a 1st round pick. That's where I'd start.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Starting quarterbacks are worth a 1st round pick. That's where I'd start.


I'm assuming you're saying this because of Sam, but it's a little different doing it during the draft vs. 8 days before the season. Assuming teams like Cleveland or San Francisco would be interested, I'd think a 2nd would be reasonable. Doubt either team would give up a Top 5 pick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35765
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take 33 from Cleveland + a conditional pick or 34 + a conditional pick from San Francisco.

In no way do I let him go for less than first round value given his age, and he's shown he can be an effective starter.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 52626
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'd take 33 from Cleveland + a conditional pick or 34 + a conditional pick from San Francisco.

In no way do I let him go for less than first round value given his age, and he's shown he can be an effective starter.


He's damaged goods. Any team who takes him will have to wait a year for any return, by then, Teddy will have missed two full years with a difficult contract situation. If a team offered a second round pick, I'd have a hard time turning it down. He's probably worth a lot less at this point.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10525
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Teddy didn't get hurt or only had a typical injury he would be worth more than a top-15 pick. Young QBs with potential are extremely valuable.

I woud expect late-1st or early-2nd value for Teddy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 73 of 83

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group