You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General New - Bucs Edition V4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 3566
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
nathan004 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
It's sounding like Marpet is moving to center. Which means Evan Smith should be gone. So we'll likely be looking at a starting oline of

Smith-Pamphile-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson

Sweezy seems like an improvement over Hawley. Hopefully this works out.


I don't think that Marpet moving to center is all but done. I think they are going to give him some reps during OTAs and see how he does but that's it.

Let's all remember that Marpet has not played Center EVER in his career. God I hate this love if it happens.

All our interior guys have experience at center. At least from practice. It's something our oline coach does. If we want our five best olinemen on the field at the same time, it's gonna happen.

Marpet is athletic enough to be able to pull from the center spot. It won't hinder his development at all. And we drafted him with this in mind. Extending him for center money is a little cheaper than paying him top guard money. It makes too much sense not to do it at this point.

Marpet is getting reps at C but so is Pamphile. I think they will move Marpet to LG and Pamphile will get to play C and Sweezy goes back to his original position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nathan004


Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
nathan004 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
It's sounding like Marpet is moving to center. Which means Evan Smith should be gone. So we'll likely be looking at a starting oline of

Smith-Pamphile-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson

Sweezy seems like an improvement over Hawley. Hopefully this works out.


I don't think that Marpet moving to center is all but done. I think they are going to give him some reps during OTAs and see how he does but that's it.

Let's all remember that Marpet has not played Center EVER in his career. God I hate this love if it happens.

All our interior guys have experience at center. At least from practice. It's something our oline coach does. If we want our five best olinemen on the field at the same time, it's gonna happen.

Marpet is athletic enough to be able to pull from the center spot. It won't hinder his development at all. And we drafted him with this in mind. Extending him for center money is a little cheaper than paying him top guard money. It makes too much sense not to do it at this point.


I'm not doubting the legitimacy of the move for Marpet to center. It's been confirmed by a Koetter that, at the very least, Marpet will be practicing some reps at Center during OTAs. I do not think this is lock to see it as a permanent move just yet. They just re-signed Hawley for one thing and I think this is more of a back up or insurance play for Center.

Here's is where I disagree with your statement. We have know idea how this move will affect his development. We have no idea if Sweezy will even pan out. And making a decision to move a player who is already a Pro Bowler IMO at his current position because it will save the team money when contract time comes around is a very poor and fundamentally dangerous reason to move him to Center.

What happens if the experiment goes wrong and this destroys his confidence? Wouldn't that be considered hindering his development? I think we all agree that an upgrade at Center is probably a good idea but I don't think it's wise to force a change with Marpet. Hawley will be a viable Center until next year. Stay the course with the OL as is and look at the draft or Fre Agency next year for Center help. Hawley wasn't the weak link on our line so I don't see the urgency to make a move like this with Marpet.

Last question, outside of recent team memory with Zuttah, how many times have we seen this type of move in the NFL. We see the reverse happen more often with OC move to OG but not OT/OG to OC.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 38534
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
Marpet is getting reps at C but so is Pamphile. I think they will move Marpet to LG and Pamphile will get to play C and Sweezy goes back to his original position.

So you wanna move two guys just to avoid moving Marpet to center?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 38534
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan004 wrote:
I'm not doubting the legitimacy of the move for Marpet to center. It's been confirmed by a Koetter that, at the very least, Marpet will be practicing some reps at Center during OTAs. I do not think this is lock to see it as a permanent move just yet. They just re-signed Hawley for one thing and I think this is more of a back up or insurance play for Center.

Here's is where I disagree with your statement. We have know idea how this move will affect his development. We have no idea if Sweezy will even pan out. And making a decision to move a player who is already a Pro Bowler IMO at his current position because it will save the team money when contract time comes around is a very poor and fundamentally dangerous reason to move him to Center.

What happens if the experiment goes wrong and this destroys his confidence? Wouldn't that be considered hindering his development? I think we all agree that an upgrade at Center is probably a good idea but I don't think it's wise to force a change with Marpet. Hawley will be a viable Center until next year. Stay the course with the OL as is and look at the draft or Fre Agency next year for Center help. Hawley wasn't the weak link on our line so I don't see the urgency to make a move like this with Marpet.

Last question, outside of recent team memory with Zuttah, how many times have we seen this type of move in the NFL. We see the reverse happen more often with OC move to OG but not OT/OG to OC.

We've pretty much gotta play Sweezy. At least for a little bit, to see what he's got. He's back to 100%. We can't pay him all that money to never see the field. It makes sense to keep him at the right guard spot.

The difference in salary is minimal; maybe $1M or so. It was just a tidbit I read and felt like sharing.

Marpet and Winston are reportedly pretty close. So the relationship is there. Marpet isn't gonna lose confidence by moving over a spot on the line. It's not like we're asking him to play tackle and line up against Beasley or something. If it does, we've got more issues on the line than we thought. And again, he's played snaps at center. It's not like we're surprising him with something he's never seen or done before.

And, as you said, Zuttah was able to do it. Marpet is better all around and more athletic. I have no doubt that he could do it easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 11223
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sweezy is healthy and ready to go, this move is permanent. Pamphile proved to be a good LG and Marpet to center was talked about the day he was drafted and listening the the Joe Bucs fan pod cast, they've said they tried Marpet at center last year in practices closed off from the media so it's nothing new.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nathan004


Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just 100% disagree with playing Madden with our roster like this. Is a Hawley/Marpet situation that much worse than a theoretical situation of Pamphile/Marpet with throwing in Sweezy somehwere? There's no possible way to say for sure right now so saying this is going to be inevitable result isn't exactly accurate.

Give him reps during OTAs and Preseason. See if it works out and go from there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 3566
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
indifference wrote:
Marpet is getting reps at C but so is Pamphile. I think they will move Marpet to LG and Pamphile will get to play C and Sweezy goes back to his original position.

So you wanna move two guys just to avoid moving Marpet to center?

Sweezy natural position is RG. Marpet is a better pass blocker so it makes sense to move him to LG. Pamphile at C would be an experiment but it would allow us to play our best 5 at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 38534
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
indifference wrote:
Marpet is getting reps at C but so is Pamphile. I think they will move Marpet to LG and Pamphile will get to play C and Sweezy goes back to his original position.

So you wanna move two guys just to avoid moving Marpet to center?

Sweezy natural position is RG. Marpet is a better pass blocker so it makes sense to move him to LG. Pamphile at C would be an experiment but it would allow us to play our best 5 at the same time.

I was saying we could just move Marpet to center. Then Pamphile can stay at left guard and Sweezy can carry on at right guard. Then we'd only have to worry about one guy changing position. I think it would make the transition easier.

Your scenario requires two guys to move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 3566
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
indifference wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
indifference wrote:
Marpet is getting reps at C but so is Pamphile. I think they will move Marpet to LG and Pamphile will get to play C and Sweezy goes back to his original position.

So you wanna move two guys just to avoid moving Marpet to center?

Sweezy natural position is RG. Marpet is a better pass blocker so it makes sense to move him to LG. Pamphile at C would be an experiment but it would allow us to play our best 5 at the same time.

I was saying we could just move Marpet to center. Then Pamphile can stay at left guard and Sweezy can carry on at right guard. Then we'd only have to worry about one guy changing position. I think it would make the transition easier.

Your scenario requires two guys to move.
I got you. I just listened to DK and it sounded to me as if Marpet was just getting reps there for OTA purposes but will stay at guard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nathan004


Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow news week. The news around him worries me, but for a 4th round pick? I think I'd still be happy adding him to the rotation. Would help to relieve the need to prioritize the position in the draft.

Quote:
NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater predicts the Jets will still trade DE Sheldon Richardson.
The Jets really have no use for Richardson, and he's entering the final year of his contract that is set to pay him just over $8 million. For those reasons, GM Mike Maccagnan would probably like to get him off the payroll instead of waiting for a 2019 compensatory draft pick. Richardson may not fetch much more than a fourth- or fifth-rounder considering his contract, effort concerns, and lengthy off-field history. But he's certainly available for trade through draft weekend.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 38534
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we hadn't already addressed the DT spot, I think we would be players in this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nathan004


Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
If we hadn't already addressed the DT spot, I think we would be players in this.


With his current contract I see him as a one year rental to see how he produces amidst all the hoopla around his work ethic and such. McCoy, Baker, McDonald and Richardson with Richardson being added to the DE rotation isn't a bad idea for a team that still has cap room to burn.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 38534
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan004 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
If we hadn't already addressed the DT spot, I think we would be players in this.


With his current contract I see him as a one year rental to see how he produces amidst all the hoopla around his work ethic and such. McCoy, Baker, McDonald and Richardson with Richardson being added to the DE rotation isn't a bad idea for a team that still has cap room to burn.

We don't have a ton of cap room beyond the next season or two. Evans and Jameis are gonna get paid. Kwon will get a decent contract. And with how much guards now make, Marpet is gonna get paid. Luckily Donovan Smith sucks, so he won't cost a fortune if we decide to resign him. Laughing

But Evans could realistically get something like seven years $100M. And I don't even wanna know what Jameis is gonna get. Luck got six years $140M. Jameis is probably gonna get more than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nathan004


Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 1530
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
nathan004 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
If we hadn't already addressed the DT spot, I think we would be players in this.


With his current contract I see him as a one year rental to see how he produces amidst all the hoopla around his work ethic and such. McCoy, Baker, McDonald and Richardson with Richardson being added to the DE rotation isn't a bad idea for a team that still has cap room to burn.

We don't have a ton of cap room beyond the next season or two. Evans and Jameis are gonna get paid. Kwon will get a decent contract. And with how much guards now make, Marpet is gonna get paid. Luckily Donovan Smith sucks, so he won't cost a fortune if we decide to resign him. Laughing

But Evans could realistically get something like seven years $100M. And I don't even wanna know what Jameis is gonna get. Luck got six years $140M. Jameis is probably gonna get more than that.


This is why I mentioned him being more of a one year rental and we could proceed from there. Also, the sad reality of the NFL is that teams don't always get to keep their stars. I won't say that we won't make the attempt to keep these guys but I wouldn't be shocked if we had to deal with the loss of a Kwon, Marpet or Smith when their contracts are up or the outright release/trade of Lavonte/GMC in the next 3-4 years.

One thing I have never worried about this team though is how they manage the cap. Probably the best cap management team in the NFL. I fully expect to see an extension on Evans before the season starts this year. The longer we wait, the higher the price tag is going to be.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 3566
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can afford Richardson but its too late we signed Baker. Winston, Evans, Marpet, Alexander and possibly Smith will get fat contracts. But we will have Ayers, Grimes, DeSean Jackson, and McCoy contracts will be either gone or reconstructed. Bucs are in a good cap position right now and it needs to stay that way so we don't see our home grown talent go off to a new team and give them their last 2-3 last years like Lynch and Sapp did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 57 of 66

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group