Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Newman! (Re-signs with MIN, p. 6)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night's King

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
he might rather retire than learn a new position, particularly for presumably one more year of play.

we said over and over that maybe Winfield would become a safety too, but it never happened.

Well last year he did play safety. He said after the game he is willing to play at any position, he just wants to play the game

"All options are in play in the future," he said. "I think I can still play corner. I can play safety. Iíll do whatever the team asks me to do. I like playing football. My biggest thing is trying to stay in the door. Thatís the first and foremost."
Newman mused he wanted to play until he was 43

With Winfield it was constant of different coach's and schemes. Now with Zimmer, Newman said the transition went smooth knowing Zimmer's scheme so well.

His familiarity with coach Mike Zimmer's defense made the switch to safety easier than it would have been for some...

Overall, Newman said, the position was less physically demanding than cornerback would have been, because "you donít have to run backwards, shift your body backwards if some dude is running full speed forwards." But "it's a lot different in checks," he said.

"Safety, youíve got all types of stuff, communications and checks and you have to move here and move there," Newman said. "Itís fun for sure and it can be mentally tougher than the corner."

I don't think he would quite go for the move to retire, I think it's more about how Zimmer views him in the defense, if he fits to what Zimmer wants his safeties to do and be able to do.

This is where I see us going with Newman as well. I have us keeping 6 safeties on the roster (including Newman) and while that may seem to be excessive, Zim could just slot Newman back to CB if he doesn't win a staring safety spot over Griff or Sendejo. Plus, if he can't win a starting safety job, I'd much rather see Newman on the field at CB instead of Sherels. Sherels to me is strictly a great ST player.

I don't know about you guys but I'm still bothered by the Sendejo signing. It's the only offseason transaction that I'm upset about. Maybe I'm wrong but that contract doesn't look like its an easy out if he were to get beat by Newman or one of the younger safeties.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sendejo's only guaranteed money is this year. If he gets beat out, eating $4M for 1 year isn't horrific. None of his salary is guaranteed beyond this year, so it's essentially a 1-year contract disguised as a 4-yr deal.

Thx to Lil Uno!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As disaacs said, it's extremely easy to get out of. If he's cut before/during/after camp this year they take a $3.95M cap hit, but it would actually free up $50,000 on this year's cap (inconsequential really).

Not sure what gave you the impression it was hard to get out of Night's King.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Night's King

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
As disaacs said, it's extremely easy to get out of. If he's cut before/during/after camp this year they take a $3.95M cap hit, but it would actually free up $50,000 on this year's cap (inconsequential really).

Not sure what gave you the impression it was hard to get out of Night's King.

Didn't know the guaranteed money and my main concern was being able to cut him this year which still looks like a decent cap hit for a safety as bad as Sendejo.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teammates got Old Man Newman a walker for his 38th birthday!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

Oh...that's not a "walker"...that's a "Rollator." It's got a storage area that doubles as a seat...and hand breaking system...you know, just in case it get's out of control! Cool Cool Cool
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

they could have thrown in a box of Depends too. sheesh... cheapskates!

Everson Griffen: ďWe can be special. But itís up to us.Ē
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
they could have thrown in a box of Depends too. sheesh... cheapskates!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see that they're all in good spirits after the crazy week.
Season can't start soon enough!

You sit back and watch, this year.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman!: ďI think the best test of a man is if you can pass on knowledge to someone who youíre competing with. If they can take your job, then thatís more respect to them. We all have the same goal Ė we want to start, we want to play, we want to win games, we want to win the Super Bowl. If that guyís better than me, then so be it. Thatís his right. Heís earned it.Ē

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Terence-Newman-Grooming-Trae-Waynes-Young-CBs-for-Success/80915fcb-d0ad-4101-aab0-da1929df9dba?sf36144764=1

Last edited by vike daddy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through Week 7, Newman has allowed just 15 receptions on 38 targets (39.5 percent) for 130 yards (8.7 yards per catch). He has five passes defensed and one interception -- off the 2015 league MVP Cam Newton in Week 3 -- while not giving up a touchdown in six games. Opposing quarterbacks have a 38.3 passer rating when targeting Newman this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728278/article/patrick-peterson-sits-atop-cb-rankings-two-vikings-enter-top-10

Dan Smith BYU wrote:
If Newman is back and starts next year it means something went direly wrong.

Father time is undefeated.

uh huh...

paradise lost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newman hasn't given up a TD yet but he did indirectly give one up in the packers game by having two PI penalties in the endzone on the same drive...

personally i was irritated with how whenever local media interviews the questions are always about his leadership and teaching and there are comments about how he was brought to minnesota to teach the young guys. just once i wanted newman to say that he actually does play football, he's not just passing on some final information before he retires.

anyways, i'm really glad that newman is playing at the level he is. i hope his body holds up the entire season, but rotating waynes in to take a few snaps off newman's load seems to be helping since newman still looks fresh out there.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman!: ďIím planning on playing [in 2017]. So, hopefully, we get something wrapped up in the next couple days. There should be a deal imminent. I canít break that part of it to you, but there is a deal thatís imminent, thatís in the works and in the next day or two, it should come out. The only reason Iím playing the game right now is because I want a ring.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/terence-newman-says-hes-playing-in-2017-close-to-signing-with-contender/

so where's he going to? New England? PITT? Seattle? Packers...?

SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Newman!: ďIím planning on playing [in 2017]. So, hopefully, we get something wrapped up in the next couple days. There should be a deal imminent. I canít break that part of it to you, but there is a deal thatís imminent, thatís in the works and in the next day or two, it should come out. The only reason Iím playing the game right now is because I want a ring.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/terence-newman-says-hes-playing-in-2017-close-to-signing-with-contender/

so where's he going to? New England? PITT? Packers...?

I think it's New England. He mentions "in the next couple of days", which is exactly the same time period as when it's expected to see New Orleans sign Malcolm Butler.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New England makes perfect sense if they trade Butler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: