Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Newman! (Re-signs with MIN, p. 6)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Newman! (Re-signs with MIN, p. 6) Reply with quote

Terence Newman

College: Kansas State
NFL draft: 2003 / Round: 1 Pick: 5
Dallas Cowboys (2003–2011)
Cincinnati Bengals (2012–2014)
Minnesota Vikings (2015–present)

Terence Newman considered retiring after last season with Cincinnati before signing with the Vikings as a free agent, and he seemingly has been rejuvenated. Newman is 37, two years younger than Oakland safety Charles Woodson, who this week announced his decision to retire at the end of the season. But if sticks around next season, he will be the NFL's oldest defensive player. Whether Newman will take over Woodson's role as senior statesman, he said it's too early to say.

Newman: "We'll talk about that once the season is over. It's kind of premature to talk about retirement right now. I don't really think anybody cares about being the youngest in the league or the oldest.''

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_29309235/vikings-terence-newman-noncommittal-about-playing-next-season?source=rss

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Newman has another year in him, I'd certainly bring him back but only as a dime CB. Trae Waynes should be starting at LCB next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If Newman has another year in him, I'd certainly bring him back but only as a dime CB. Trae Waynes should be starting at LCB next year.

Waynes has to earn it. At this point, his first round draft stock means very little. If we get through camp, with Newman re-signed, and he still gives us a better chance to win he needs to be the starter.

I could see the Vikings taking a similar approach to Waynes as the Bengals took to Dre Kirkpatrick. Both corners are lankier, posses speed in a straight line, and come from basically the same defensive system as Dantonio studied under Saban. Kirkpatrick only became a regular starter this year; his fourth year in the league.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many good CBs.

Newman's held up well this year, doesn't seem to be slowing down much. The Vikings should definitely offer him another 1-year deal if he's willing to come back.

Without Newman, next year's CBs would likely be Rhodes, Waynes, Munnerlyn, and at least one of Price and Sherels. I expect Josh Robinson will move on.

They'd be lacking a 3rd boundary CB who can push Waynes for the starting job opposite Rhodes, and otherwise act as a dime back and backup. They could draft another CB but that probably means using a top 50-100 pick, if they're allowing for the possibility that he might have to contribute something in 2016. Most decent free agents would want term and price that would have cap implications when it's time for the Vikings to extend their recent first round picks.

What they need is a guy who's capable of starting but who's not going to complain if Waynes beats him out. Someone who knows the system. Someone willing to sign a short term deal that won't break the bank. Newman's the easy choice.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman miked up during the Bears game:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Vikings-Wired-Terence-Newman-vs-Chicago/589baf8e-a26e-4a5b-b74a-1838855caf98

pretty loose guy on the sideline...

vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer: "Terence Newman was sick during the game, I should have got him out sooner. I didn’t know about it. No one told me until he came off one time and was throwing up on the sideline. I asked him, he gave up that quick out early in the ballgame and I asked him if he was okay and he said, ‘Yeah.’ But he didn’t tell me he was sick. And then he gave up the touchdown pass, so I should have got him out before that."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Postgame-Quotes-After-Win-Over-Giants/64c60973-d365-4ed8-be85-d9f29fb29a60?campaign=sf17752188+sf17752188

i noticed Newman! had a sub-par game, this explains it.

Dan Smith BYU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Newman is back and starts next year it means something went direly wrong.

Father time is undefeated.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Smith BYU wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to see what he can do at safety after an off-season of working at it.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Smith BYU wrote:

He's 37, not 77.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Dan Smith BYU wrote:

He's 37, not 77.

I'm sure Dan would have said that when Darrell Green was still picking off passes for Washington at the age of 41.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Dan Smith BYU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Dan Smith BYU wrote:

He's 37, not 77.

I'm sure Dan would have said that when Darrell Green was still picking off passes for Washington at the age of 41.

I don't even know how to respond to this. I guess we drafted a guy at 1.7 so he never plays?

Lets roster a bunch of 37 year olds? Screw the young guys.

What's the chances Newman makes the probowl? At 41?

I don't know.

Troll on.
Dan Smith BYU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Dan Smith BYU wrote:

He's 37, not 77.

I don't even know how to respond to this. I guess we drafted a guy at 1.7 so he never plays?

Lets roster a bunch of 37 year olds? Screw the young guys?

What's the chances Newman makes the probowl? At 41?

I don't know.

Troll on.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I offended you. I just don't personally believe that something went wrong if Newman were to be starting next year. Do I expect it? No. But, is it tragic if Waynes isn't starting? No.

After watching him this year, I don't think Marcus Peters would be starting in Zimmer's defense, as Zimmer would blow his gasket at how many times Peters has been out of position.

Newman has something that Waynes does not, 10+ years of experience in Zimmer's defense. That goes a long way in determining how much play he gets.

Thx to Lil Uno!
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman has been a great pickup. He should allow for a much smoother transition to Waynes because Waynes has had time to sit and learn. Calling Waynes a bust this early is extremely short sided IMO. I hope Newman comes back another year for competition for CB or S. At worst he would be a solid vet that could play in a pinch due to injury and help mentor the young guys with Zimmer's defense. He has been a valuable asset.

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Newman's play drops off next year because of age, Waynes (drafted #11, not #7) should have no trouble beating him out for the starting job. In that scenario, Newman would be a backup dime CB and would also offer depth at safety. His contract isn't going to price him out of a depth role.

If Newman retires or they opt not to try to bring him back, their CB depth would be limited to Price and Sherels. They'd need to draft another CB high enough that they might find a starter if Waynes busts, or else bring in a FA (and decent CBs are very expensive).

Asking Waynes to earn the starting job by beating out a good but not great 37 year old CB is nothing like saying "screw the young guys". Most of the rookies under Zimmer have been worked in gradually behind veterans who they are eventually supposed to replace. Waynes has had something like 150-200 snaps this year, that's a long way from nothing. If he improves his game this off season, he'll get a chance to start next year, even if Newman returns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: