Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Does the system really matter all that much anymore? Jared Goff went #1 overall last year. He has struggled, but clearly teams will take a guy that they like regardless of what system he played in or school that he played at.

Absolutely. We've seen players in the past come out of offensive systems that take the decision making out of the quarterbacks' hands. And when they go into the NFL, that decision making development hasn't occurred so they're essentially learning on the job. Does it need to be an every down situation? No, but you need to see those improvements.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
G08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid got a 2nd round grade from the Advisory Committee... you can't deny the physical talent and athleticism, IMO it is elite.

The question is, can he learn "your" system and how dedicated will he be to cleaning up his mechanics.

This dude isn't ready to start his rookie year so if/when he's drafted I hope it's done with that in mind.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Kid got a 2nd round grade from the Advisory Committee... you can't deny the physical talent and athleticism, IMO it is elite.

The question is, can he learn "your" system and how dedicated will he be to cleaning up his mechanics.

This dude isn't ready to start his rookie year so if/when he's drafted I hope it's done with that in mind.

Despite his natural ability (and not just athleticism, but passing ability), I think he goes in the 5th/6th range. That's where guys like Tyrod Taylor and Brent Hundley went. He's in that same phylum.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
You can't deny the physical talent and athleticism, IMO it is elite.

I've seen this posted 18 times already.

Waiting for it to be posted 788 more times before the draft.

Laughing
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I've seen this posted 18 times already.

Waiting for it to be posted 788 more times before the draft.

Laughing

Doesn't make it any less true.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
G08 wrote:

Despite his natural ability (and not just athleticism, but passing ability), I think he goes in the 5th/6th range. That's where guys like Tyrod Taylor and Brent Hundley went. He's in that same phylum.

I have a fourth on him, but for the most part I agree. Developmental potential starting quarterbacks to me have always been middle round guys, that's why I don't quite understand the first round love for him.

And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I am still biased against guys who come from this offense. I have a lot of draft biases (I know that they are often stupid), but I'll own up to them.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Does the system really matter all that much anymore? Jared Goff went #1 overall last year. He has struggled, but clearly teams will take a guy that they like regardless of what system he played in or school that he played at.

Definitely does for me. I mean, I'm not going to make them undraftable or anything just because of the system, but I'll ding them some because it hasn't been kind in the past and I feel that it leaves even more unknown than with a quarterback coming from a pro-style system.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jerod Evans declaring didn't go Mahomes any favors (athlough Mahomes didn't make a mistake declaring, Evans did). From the little I've seen of Evans, he seems like a more polished, stronger armed, faster, bigger, Deshaun Watson. Come to think of it, he's like like Deshaun Watson at all Laughing
indigo_rex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mahomes has a good shot of going in the 1st, but I wouldn't put him there. He has 1,350 career pass attempts, and in turns, he looks like Stafford, Cutler, and a drunk Cam Newton in the pocket. He has some of the worst footwork you'll ever see. Again, given how much he passes, this is very concerning, because it looks like he's not even trying to correct it. Despite his arm talent (which is great), he consistently floats balls, because he rarely even uses his lower body when throwing.

Can it be fixed? In theory, yes. Would I bet on it? No - again 1,350 pass attempts should produce a QB with better footwork, even if he's just trying a little. If he's asked to play as a rookie, expect performances similar to, or worse than, P. Lynch this year. His talent is worth a gamble in the mid rounds, but I can't say he has a good chance of developing into a starting NFL QB.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going in the early-mid 1st. He'll put on a t-shirt and shorts throwing performance for the ages.

mike23md
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he is still available at the top of the 3rd, he would be a good candidate to stash behind Rivers the next 2-4 years and "groom".

Hypothetically it could end up being another Osweiler situation for us, where his contract is up before Rivers is done (which IMO I doubt happens) but we haven't really had a developmental QB in years.

We took a flier on Brad Sorensen a few years back in like the 6th or 7th round, but no one took that guy seriously and iirc he is already out of the league. Otherwise Rivers has always had Vet's backing him up like Volek or Kellen Clemmons most recently.

Obviously we are not a top team and we could use our first few picks on other positions ( OL, DL/Edge, DB ) this year to hopefully make a "push" to be competitive while we still have Rivers (and whatever "window" of opportunity we have) but I like Mahomes tools and think he would be a good fit for the Bolts.

Also a fan of Luke Falk, maybe I will be posting the same thing this time next year.
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest CBS mock draft has Mahomes going 6th overall to the Jets Surprised

At this point Mahomes is a 1st round lock. He's getting so much hype right now and that hype will grow even stronger after he dominates the combine.

Last edited by DalCowboyzRule on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:

At this point Mahomes is a 1st round lock.He's getting so much hype right now.

Didn't we say the same thing about Brett Hundley a few years ago?

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:

At this point Mahomes is a 1st round lock. He's getting so much hype right now.

Didn't we say the same thing about Brett Hundley a few years ago?

Did we?

Serious question because I don't remember that at all. Especially 2 months before the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how he doesn't go in the first round, he's only going to ace this part of the process. All the issues are scheme related, but he does too many things other quarterbacks in the class can't do for him not to get a few teams excited. I think the ideal situation is that he lands with a team that has an ageing quarterback. Arizona, New Orleans, Pittsburgh or New York could be surprise options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: