You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2016-17 Wizards Thread; Brooks hired
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Official 2016-17 Wizards Thread; Brooks hired Reply with quote

The 2016-17 Wizards are looking to improve on their disappointing 41 and 41 season where they missed the playoffs for the first time in three seasons. Last years' Wizards team was expected to again win at least one playoff series and possibly get all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals for a show down with Lebron James and the Cavs before the season even began.

One again though, injury and bad rotations killed the Wizards chemistry and flow throughout the season. They also changed philosophies trying to go to a more pace and space scheme that had worked for them in the 2015-15 playoffs when they played Paul Pierce a lot at power forward.

This new philosophy to their offense not only hurt their offense but it greatly affected two of their strong points the previous two seasons; defense and rebounding. Without two bigs on the floor at once, often times Gortat and Nene were left to get rebounds on both ends of the floor by themselves. The pair rarely played together in 2015-16, a decision that head coach Wittman said he made on his own, but it backfired as the team was not as good as it was in the previous two seasons when each guy played more than 25 minutes a game.

This led the wizards to the firing of Randy Wittman and the hiring of Scott Brooks shortly after the season ended.

Oh well, that's in the past so now it's on to the 2016-17 season for your Washington Wizards!

When free agency hit in July the Wizards looked to add Kevin Durant to their young roster in hopes that it would give them a championship contender. Sadly, Durant let be known throughout the season that he wasn't too interested at this time at returing home to the DC area and playing for the Wizards. There are several reasons for this including the Wizards not making the playoffs in 2015-16, him seeming to not want the added pressure of returning to DC and everyone treating him like a savior and the known fact that the Wizards fanbase is a bit bandwagonish, often times rooting for opposing teams and opposing super stars when they come to Verizon Center as they had done with KD for two years straight. This attitude left a poor impression on Durant of the loyalty of the Wizards fanbase.

Let's put it this way, you will never confuse the Wizards fanbase with the Thunder's or Warriors' fanbases.

Just like last year with Paul Pierce choosing not to re-sign in DC, this could again be a blessing in disguise if Otto Porter continues to build on his solid 2015 season. As a first time starter, Porter averaged 30 minutes a game which translated into a 47% field goal %, 37.7% from 3, 11.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.4 steals a game.

I envision Porter improving on these numbers in 2016-17, especially if Beal is more healthy because teams won't be able to focus on Porter as much. I could see Porter scoring as much as 15 points a game this season with 6 rebounds, 2 assists and improving his three point shooting and defense as well.

Also since the Wizards didn't upgrade their small forward position in free agency this gives their second year player Kelly Oubre the chance to prove he can be the next Otto Porter, or better. IMO Oubre has more potential than Porter to be a star but at this moment Oubre isn't as polished or as technically sound on either offense or defense as Porter. When Porter missed a few weeks last season, and Oubre started 9 games from 12/14/15 through 1/20/16 Oubre shoed potential in Porter's absence and averaged 6.1 points and 3 rebounds a game.

I see Oubre averaging 7 or 8 points a game and 3 or four rebounds a game this year as he backs up Porter.

The Wizards chose to move on from the Nene experience and not re-sign Drew Gooden. Neither move surprised me much, as it was obvious the Wizards were trying to get younger and more athletic at PF and C.

1. They signed an athletic and big center to back up Gortat when they inked Ian Mahinmi.

2. They signed a young stretch four, Andrew Nicholson away from the Magic. Despite his ability to be a stretch four and hit 36% of his 3's, Nicholson still brings size to the table at 6'9, 250 pounds which will help the wizards with their interior defense and rebounding.

3. They signed Jason Smith also formerly of the Magic. The 7', 245 pound reserve center and power forward adds some much needed depth and the ability to hit the occasional outside jumper from 10 to 16 feet.

4. The wizards got younger at the back up guard positions. They were able to trade a 2012 second round pick to the Utah Jazz in order to acquire Trey Burke as their back up point guard to John Wall and they were finally able to sign Tomas Satoransky away from his Spanish team, Barcelona Lassa. This is something the Wizards have wanted to do each of the past two seasons but weren't able to get it done.

So, with much ado, here are your 2016-17 Washington Wizards and my projected stats for them and wins:

PG: John Wall - 20 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds
Trey Burke - 11 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds

SG: Bradley Beal - 20 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds
Marcus Thornton - 9 points, 3 rebounds
Tomas Satoransky - 5 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds

SF: Otto Porter - 14 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds
Kelly Oubre - 7 points, 4 rebounds

PF: Marcus Morris - 15 points, 7 rebounds
Andrew Nicholson - 8 points, 4 rebounds

C: Marcin Gortat - 13 points, 9 rebounds
Ian Mahinmi - 8 points, 6 rebounds
Jason Smith - 7 points, 3 rebounds

As for the record, I think the wizards play a lot like the 2013 & 2014 teams and finish 46-36, win one playoff series and get close to getting to the Eastern Conference Finals, and with better health to their star back court and a little more luck in the playoffs, maybe they get all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals. Heck, if the Raports can do it and steal 2 games away from the Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals, why can't the Wizards... Right? Cool

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the wiz trade Beal/Porter/Gortat for DeMarcus Cousins & Ben McLemore?

https://t.co/y77ZZkt209 via SInow

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

That would be really interesting. I really like Bradley Beal, but the chance to pair DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall again is extremely tempting. Ben McLemore is not very good, but he is still only 22 so maybe he can still developing into something. If I were the Wizards I would ultimately do that trade, but I think the Kings maybe could get a better package than that, not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

That would be really interesting. I really like Bradley Beal, but the chance to pair DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall again is extremely tempting. Ben McLemore is not very good, but he is still only 22 so maybe he can still developing into something. If I were the Wizards I would ultimately do that trade, but I think the Kings maybe could get a better package than that, not sure.
They had the wiz throwing in a first round pick also, I'm not sure how it could get much better. The Kings would be getting an all-star, a starting quality center to replace Cousins and a starting small forward who's developing into a nice all around player who's become a better scorer faster than most people thought in Porter.

That mid to late first could be a future 6/7 player or a starter also.

My hope with McLemore is that Wall could get him open looks and easy shots like he does for Beal and everyone on his team so that would make McLemore more effective. He's not going to be Beal, but I could see a guy who averages in the mid teens.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/kings-ben-mclemore-scores-season-high-17-in-loss/

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/11/17/9751122/ben-mclemore-continues-to-improve

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/11/19/9757828/washington-wizards-disable-player-exception-martell-webster-candidates#comment_tease

Players the Wizards could sign or trade for if they get w disabled player exception (DPE) because of Webster's injury.

For me, I'd be interested in signing Perry Jones or Earl Clark or trading for James Michael MacAdoo.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god for Nene & Porter last night. The two Wizards most fans loved to hate the past two years.

Their 18 & 17 points helped th Wizards beat Drummond and the upstart Pistons in The D.

dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I love Beal. Seems like a good dude that fits well, and is on the come up. Same exact thing goes for Otto.

If Cousins weren't a head case I'd feel better about making that deal. But I just don't feel good getting rid of two guys who I really like for a guy that still doesn't seem to quite get it. I realize the upside of a deal like that though.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizards are in a tale spin because of injuries to Anderson, Gooden, Humphries & Nene added to that Gortat going home for his mother.

Otto Porter was playing some center tonight!

The Wizards have to something if things don't turn around when those 3/4 guys return.

I'm still in favor of a DeMarcus Cousins trade if things don't improve and it's possible.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the Wizards not sign Jordan Hill again? Oh yeah that's right because Ernie Grunfield still sucks! Hill had 20 points for the pacers tonight and the wiz need front court help @ PF/C. They could have used the non-taxpayer mid level exception on him for $5.64 M... Confused

Woz it seems you wee right, I was blinded about the wiz this offseason. Wall doesn't always live up to his max contract, Nene & Beal are walking injuries and their outside shooting is still immensely inconsistent despite adding better shooters.

Tonight's game vs the Grizzlies was awful of course it was a back to back and the team is beat up, maybe that has something to do with it.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly Oubre has got a smooth stroke man. He's gonna be a stone cold assassin from 3 with some more development. #WizKings #WizardsTalk

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--wizards-to-sign-d-league-shooter-jarell-eddie-190912981.html

The Wizards will waive center Ryan Hollins to create roster space for Jarell Eddie.

Quote:
The Wizards will waive center Ryan Hollins to create roster space for Eddie, but could re-sign Hollins later in the season, sources said. Hollins appeared in five games for Washington, averaging 9.6 minutes, 1.6 points and 2.2 rebounds.

Eddie is expected to sign a one-year, non-guaranteed deal. He’ll provide shooting and wing depth on a roster that has been ravaged by injuries, as Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, Gary Neal and Alan Anderson remain sidelined.

Eddie has become one of the best shooters not in the NBA, connecting on 46.5 percent of his 3-pointers in two D-League seasons and winning the 2015 3-point shootout title at the D-League’s All-Star weekend. A 6-foot-7 wing, Eddie has transformed his game after going undrafted in 2014 as a senior out of Virginia Tech.

In 11 games for Austin this season, Eddie is averaging 14.1 points and four rebounds. He is shooting 52.5 percent from 3-point range in 5.6 attempts per game.

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yardbarker: Bulls reportedly willing to trade Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson for wing help. I'd be willing to send one of the Wizards wing players to Chicago for Taj Gibson - a true stretch 4!

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/bulls_reportedly_willing_to_trade_joakim_noah_taj_gibson_for_wing_help/s1_127_20091493 via @yardbarker

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nbastats Garrett Temple is 11/20 (55%) on shots after receiving a pass from John Wall over @WashWizards last 3 GP (3-0).

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WashWizards Otto on tonight's win & his 3rd straight game with at least 20 points

📹: monumentalnetwork.com/videos/otto-po…

#WizMagic

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible game at home the Heat tonight! I can't believe they only scored 75 points! Wtf

When Wall only has 14 points as your leading scorer you know you have a problem.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: