Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts: Third Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know Joe loves his #1 targets, e.g. Mason, Boldin, Smith. With Smith now gone, someone is going to be getting a high volume of targets because we know while Joe can spread the ball around, more often than not he prefers to go to the guy he trusts the most. If Perriman can build that chemistry with Joe in the offseason, he has a good a shot as Wallace at becoming Joe's go to guy, imo. Which consequently means an abundance of fantasy value.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
We know Joe loves his #1 targets, e.g. Mason, Boldin, Smith. With Smith now gone, someone is going to be getting a high volume of targets because we know while Joe can spread the ball around, more often than not he prefers to go to the guy he trusts the most. If Perriman can build that chemistry with Joe in the offseason, he has a good a shot as Wallace at becoming Joe's go to guy, imo. Which consequently means an abundance of fantasy value.

Again, I know it's a common take, but I haven't seen anything to backup the idea that Flacco heavily targets a single receiver. There haven't been that many cases when we had multiple receivers who belong on the field. Laughing But, Smith Sr and Wallace last year was a pretty even split in targets/game played. Torrey was a terrible football player the year he played with Steve Smith and he didn't even deserve the respectable # of targets he got. But the two years he played with Boldin (before the mysterious dropoff), Torrey got almost a dead even target split. Mason and Boldin together was also almost a dead even split. And before Boldin, it was Mason and garbage. Every instance with multiple competent receivers, has given as close to an even number of targets as you could imagine. Does there really have to be a conspiracy explanation for Mark Clayton not getting a lot of targets? Laughing

My point being, Mike Wallace should still top 100 targets this year, regardless of how well Perriman work out. He clearly proved his value last year both in the deep and quick passing game and we should in fact try to use him more. This is also going Wallace's first full offseason with a healthy Flacco, so don't discount that either.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:

Again, I know it's a common take, but I haven't seen anything to backup the idea that Flacco heavily targets a single receiver. There haven't been that many cases when we had multiple receivers who belong on the field. Laughing But, Smith Sr and Wallace last year was a pretty even split in targets/game played. Torrey was a terrible football player the year he played with Steve Smith and he didn't even deserve the respectable # of targets he got. But the two years he played with Boldin (before the mysterious dropoff), Torrey got almost a dead even target split. Mason and Boldin together was also almost a dead even split. And before Boldin, it was Mason and garbage. Every instance with multiple competent receivers, has given as close to an even number of targets as you could imagine. Does there really have to be a conspiracy explanation for Mark Clayton not getting a lot of targets? Laughing

My point being, Mike Wallace should still top 100 targets this year, regardless of how well Perriman work out. He clearly proved his value last year both in the deep and quick passing game and we should in fact try to use him more. This is also going Wallace's first full offseason with a healthy Flacco, so don't discount that either.

That's probably true, I haven't taken the time to actually look at the numbers to verify it, but in terms of overall distribution and play design there probably has been a relatively even split between his top targets from season-to-season. However, just having watched the games, you can agree that in crunch time and when he really needs to make a play or if he gets in a rhythm with a guy, he will try to consistently feed his top receiver.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Flacco?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Young with a knee injury Mad

Don't know the extent of injury yet, but at least the offseason investments look smarter now.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Michael-Campanaro-Is-Injured-Again-This-Time-With-Sprained-Toe/dba7b7e1-6d69-4c9f-83ac-dfa1f2fd5c85

Quote:
Michael Campanaro is unfortunately injured again.

The Ravens’ oft-injured wide receiver sprained his toe during Wednesday’s Organized Team Activities (OTAs) practice, Head Coach John Harbaugh announced.

“He’ll be out for a little while,” Harbaugh said. “It’s not a serious injury, but it’s a nuisance for sure. He was practicing very well.”

The good news is Campanaro avoided anything major, and would seemingly be able to return for training camp at the latest.

The bad news is it’s another frustrating setback for the local River Hill High School product, and one that will reignite concern around Baltimore about whether Campanaro will be able to stay on the field.

Surprise, surprise. Laughing

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Flacco?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

Don't know the extent of injury yet, but at least the offseason investments look smarter now.

Too bad Smith, Carr, and Humphrey are all boundary corners. If Young is down then Webb is in as the starting slot CB... Crying or Very sad
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tavon Young‏Verified account @Tyoung_NL 4m4 minutes ago

Coming back stronger than ever, GOD got me, thanks for the prayers

That doesn't sound good.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Too bad Smith, Carr, and Humphrey are all boundary corners. If Young is down then Webb is in as the starting slot CB... Crying or Very sad

Not that I'm afraid to put Webb on the field, but how do you differentiate slot and boundary corners? You can be tall and play in the slot. You do need to be physical since you will be more involved in the run game and blitzing.

I don't see why Humphrey can't line up in the slot. He's very physical and has really good change of direction speed from his 3 cone time, which will help against the shiftier guys, and that length won't hurt against tight ends.

Definitely sounds from Tavon's and the other players tweets that it's the worst case. Sucks that we won't see what he can do.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. ACL. Our 7 deep secondary is down to 6. Hopefully Maurice Canady can step up with the extra reps.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that began quick...
DreamKid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devastating news for Tavon, feel for him. We lose our young slot demon and a key cog to our defense overall. Oh well, let's see how it all plays out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks for Tavon, I feel for him. Luckily its early, he should be back fully by next offseason. WIth that said, I feel confident Humphrey can step in and be our starting Nickel. Im just glad we drafted a cb early and got Carr in FA, or else this would have hurt a lot more. All teams have injuries, lets hope this the last major one for the ravens
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Not that I'm afraid to put Webb on the field, but how do you differentiate slot and boundary corners? You can be tall and play in the slot. You do need to be physical since you will be more involved in the run game and blitzing.

I don't see why Humphrey can't line up in the slot. He's very physical and has really good change of direction speed from his 3 cone time, which will help against the shiftier guys, and that length won't hurt against tight ends.

Definitely sounds from Tavon's and the other players tweets that it's the worst case. Sucks that we won't see what he can do.

Being able to play with your head/eyes on a swivel and having the feet to change direction quickly. Humphrey has the latter, but the former is a big weakness of his even on the outside. It's not a physical thing with him like it would be for Smith and Carr. It's an even bigger issue.

Awful, awful news about Young. I hate pre-camp activities.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 3h3 hours ago

With Young out, Ravens can use no3 safety Lardarius Webb in slot. They also could use Maurice Canady who team is very high on in slot.

I read that Canady stepped into the nickel role during practice after Young went down today. Of course Webb didn't practice but it seems like Maurice might be in-line for some snaps this season. I'm good with that relative to this awful situation.
Danand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really really sucks. Mostly for Tavon who had the chance to build on an impressive rookie season, where he was somewhat not given the recognition outside the Ravens fanbase as he deserved.

Humphrey should not come close to the slot as he does not possess the awareness needed. Get him in some zone play with the play in front of him, and I believe we can get decent production from him without him being a liability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 49 of 51

Jump to: