Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Around the NFL Thread 3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The question with trading Garoppolo really is: how much is having him as a backup in 2017 worth? More than a mid-late 2nd round pick? Probably. More than a late 1st rounder (which I doubt they could get)? Probably not.

Fans tend to overvalue draft picks and undervalue having actual NFL ready backups on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if Garoppolo was kept for 2017. i don't think teams are going to line up to trade 1st round picks for him, barring a ridiculously good rest of 2016 and 2nd round picks aren't necessarily something I'd part with him for at this point.

i might just be really high on Brissett but i think he will be good enough to make Jimmy expendable for a 2nd rounder.

Starless wrote:
Given Belichick's propensity for getting rid of players a year early rather than a year late, I don't see why so many are dismissing the idea of them dealing Brady and keeping Garoppolo if the latter shows himself capable of operating the offense at a comparably high level over these four games.

In fact, if Brady shows any noticeable decline after he returns, I would bet on Garoppolo being the Patriots QB for 2017 and onward.

I doubt Jimmy is better than Brady the rest of Brady's contract and it isn't like Brady's deal makes him easy to get rid of until 2019. i'd rather keep Brady and bet on Brissett or another draft pick than going w/ Jimmy.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Brisset a lot but for a team with perennial Super Bowl aspirations, a very young roster at most positions and an old QB who could decline rapidly and is more susceptible to injuries (or prolonged recovery times) than younger guys, I do wonder how much value a 2nd round pick has.

50% of 2nd round picks are pretty useless players and only about 30% sign a 2nd contract with their drafting team. You're trading one year of a very good Brady insurance policy for what, statistically, is likely to be a guy who contributes a little or not at all to the 2017 team and is unlikely, based on historical precedent to be on the team past 2020.

Put another way - how many of the Pats 2nd round picks since Belichick has been with the team would you say have proven to be more valuable than one year of a proven backup QB who could, if needed, fill in for Brady like Bledsoe did in the 2001 AFCCG?

One thing that worries me in trading Garoppolo is that, barring something crazy, the Pats are not going to have a running game worth much in 2017. It might be passable and good enough to win with, as long as the passing game is at a high level. But it's not going to carry the team if Brisset comes in for an injured Brady and sucks.

I think it's closer than people first tend to think because most people look at 2nd round picks as high value commodities which will net the team another Vollmer, Gronkowski or Light, or even Garoppolo himself (etc). Yes, 2nd round picks are very valuable assets but very often give you short term "successes" (Vereen, Spikes) and often total duds (Jackson, Klemm, Hill, Brace, Dobson, Wheatley, Wilson etc).
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets take the Aaron Rodgers approach with Jimmy G, but not the Brett Favre approach with TB12

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ Watt to IR.
Hunter2_1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
JJ Watt to IR.

That will happen to you when you carry a team for 4 years - your back will go.
biggbrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ Anderson to IR with a knee injury. Let's hope Devontae Booker isn't as good as his current 5.2 YPC.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Ryan fired.
Idzik4president

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will trade you Sheldon Richardson for a couple of trash barrels outside CBS scene..

Signed thankfully,
The Jets
lancerman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Lets take the Aaron Rodgers approach with Jimmy G, but not the Brett Favre approach with TB12

I don't think you can sit a guy that long. He's already sat as long as Rodgers.
biggbrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Kubiak stepping down from Broncos HC job due to health concerns. Hopefully means the Broncos will play hard for their HC's last game and beat the Raiders...
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Pagano and Grigson are keeping their jobs for at least one more year. I don't get it. There is, perhaps, and argument for Pagano. But Grigson is terrible.

Fine by me though, don't really care how long the Colts want to spend wallowing in mid-table misery.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Looks like Pagano and Grigson are keeping their jobs for at least one more year. I don't get it.
Irsay's drugs of choice don't improve decision making.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP All-Pro team announced:

Slater gets his fifth 1st team as STer.

2nd team "honors" for Brady, Cannon, McCourty, Ebner and Butler.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pats have 3 of the top 20 special teams players in the league with Slater, Ebner and Bolden. J.Jones and King have both shown high end ability as well though I wouldn't say they're true impact players yet. They're at the level Ebner was for his first years - good core ST guys but not impact guys. Ebner has really upped his game the past 2 seasons and has become the elite player a lot of people pegged him for when the Pats drafted him. Mingo and Grissom have also been really solid on coverage teams as well and could be back next year solely due to their ST ability.

As far as coverage units go, this is probably the strongest group the Pats have had under Belichick. If they had returners worth a damn (other than Edelman and Amendola), this might be the best overall ST unit in Pats history.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks trading Garoppolo for anything less than a premium pick, I present you - playoff football with a garbage QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: