You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Rugby Union - General Discussion/News Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rugby World Cup: Scotland call up hooker Kevin Bryce
"Glasgow Warriors hooker Kevin Bryce has been called up to Scotland's World Cup squad to replace Edinburgh's Stuart McInally, who has a neck injury."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34245996
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc MacGyver wrote:
Quote:
I watched most of the warm-up friendlies, and Italy looked pretty unsettled to me. They lost one of their best backs in Morisi and they don't really have anyone to replace him. Garcia and Bacchin are not international centres. Parisse's likely replacement (Vunisa) is capable, but he doesn't provide the same spark as the captain. France have been slumping for a while now, but they seem to be on an upward trend. If Michalak and Tillous-Borde can direct the pack around the field and provide some stability, they can do some real damage.

Cheers… Interesting, I didn’t get to see any Northern Hemisphere RWC warm up matches (Only shown on specialty channel, like most European Rugby *) other than the first ENG v FRA match via stream… The match reports, articles etc, have filled me in… It looked via the match report that Italy ran Wales close, but reports can be deceiving without context (Lots of experimentation going on in those warm ups, probably worth as much as NFL preseason results*)… I know the Italians had a poor showing in this year’s 6 nations, but hopefully they’ve improved….

(I’ll trust your eyes & knowledge on this one, as Rugby from the North is limited here… So you don’t think that 22 year old Bacchin is ready or he just doesn’t have what it takes/never will at test level? )

I've seen Bacchin play maybe once, so I don't know about him, but I suspect the Italians will play Gonzalo Garcia next to Campagnaro, as the started him in both their warm-up friendlies (and they only drafted Bacchin as injury cover). Garcia is ok in defence, he can kick a long field goal, but that's about it. I still get headaches when I think back of those back-lines with Marcato-Garcia-Canale who just about butchered every chance they could. Morisi provides much more a spark.

Such is the state of italian rugby, they don't have any squad depth in the backs.

That match against Wales was a bit misleading. One brilliant moment by Parisse created a try out of nowhere. That's 7 points right there. Combine that with Wales losing 2 key guys to injury, and rotating players, and you have a somewhat close game. The problem is that Wales have the talent to turn it up two or three notches come the world cup. I'm not sure Italy can do that at this point. Maybe I'm a bit pessimistic, I always root for Italy when they play, but they desperately lack creativity in the back-line. The stars have to align for Italy to have a chance against France or Ireland, and with these injuries I just don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc MacGyver wrote:

Rugby World Cup 2015: England unchanged for Fiji opener
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34250496

England: Mike Brown (Harlequins); Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby); George Ford (Bath Rugby); Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers); Joe Marler (Harlequins), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Geoff Parling (Exeter Chiefs), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (capt, Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby).
Replacements: Rob Webber (Bath Rugby), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Sam Burgess (Bath Rugby). Wink

Not gonna lie, it'll be fun to see Burgess come on for the last half hour.

Can you imagine, Burgess v. Nadolo in the inside centre slot?

That's 6ft5/255 vs 6ft5/265 collision Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour is that Burgess might go back to league after 1 more year.
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Not gonna lie, it'll be fun to see Burgess come on for the last half hour.

Can you imagine, Burgess v. Nadolo in the inside centre slot?

That's 6ft5/255 vs 6ft5/265 collision Shocked

The wink emote on the England team announcement, was actually in reference to a couple of you guys hoping for George Ford to start over Owen Farrell. (I put both names in bold... You got your wish*)

With regard to Burgess I'm not 100% sure he is ready & from reports he might be a better loose forward than centre... However I loved him as a League player & certainly believe he has the potential to succeed... I'll be watching him closely at the Cup...

gillam wrote:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/72091266/rugby-world-cup-2015-sam-burgess-dismisses-nrl-return-rumours
If he ultimately wants to go back to RL, that's his prerogative... I think he has the ability to be special in Rugby if he puts in the time. (Maybe not so much of a factor at this WC*) If his heart's not in it then he should go...

Last edited by Marc MacGyver on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
gillam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc MacGyver wrote:
gillam wrote:

The wink emote on the England team announcement, was actually in reference to a couple of you guys hoping for George Ford over Owen Farrell. (I put both names in bold... You got your wish*)

With regard to Burgess I'm not 100% sure he is ready & from reports he might be a better loose forward than centre... However I loved him as a League player & certainly believe he has the potential to succeed... I'll be watching him closely at the Cup...

If he ultimately wants to go back to RL, that's his prerogative... I think he has the ability to be special in Rugby if he puts in the time. (Maybe not so much of a factor at this WC*) If his heart's not in it then he should go...

I used to like Owen, but he's turned hot garbage since he went on the lions tour and is only picked due to his dad. There are better fly halfs out there.
gillam

Marc MacGyver wrote:
gillam wrote:

The wink emote on the England team announcement, was actually in reference to a couple of you guys hoping for George Ford over Owen Farrell. (I put both names in bold... You got your wish*)

I used to like Owen, but he's turned hot garbage since he went on the lions tour and is only picked due to his dad. There are better fly halfs out there.
gillam

Marc MacGyver wrote:
gillam wrote:

Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillam wrote:

I completely understand what you are saying… Although In Rugby these days it seems like it’s getting harder & harder to produce a really World-Class Fly Half, (First Five-Eighth) it may even be harder than producing Franchise Quarterbacks… In the NFL we have about four HOF QBs playing (Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers, has a little more to do*) in Rugby Union at Fly Half maybe one (Daniel Carter*) then who?

There are some up & coming young guns no doubt, but not many truly elite guys.

Last edited by Marc MacGyver on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random RWC 2015 fodder:

Telegraph’s list of Top 100 Rugby Union Players (In Pictures*) Wink Very Happy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/picturegalleries/11384207/Top-100-rugby-union-players-in-pictures.html?frame=3440446

Guardian’s 50 Greatest Rugby World Cup Players {All-Time} (Interactive*) Cool
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/sep/14/rugby-world-cup-50-greatest-players-interactive

Guardian’s RWC 2015 10 Players To Watch
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/16/rugby-world-cup-2015-10-players-to-watch

RWC 2015 Promises Record Payday
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/09/16/rugby-world-cup-promises-record-payday

RWC 2015: Why the cards are stacked against Samoa (Plight of smaller Nations*)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34254653

RWC 2015: Abuse of young Pacific Island talent
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/71910425/Despicable-abuse-of-young-Pacific-Island-rugby-talent-a-blight-on-the-game

RWC A Brief History (Video Animation, mostly for Kids*) Wink Very Happy
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34251004

England with the greatest RWC commercial ever (I Love cartoons… I would watch this movie*) Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXppMqUVMYE

Last edited by Marc MacGyver on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rugby World Cup 2015: Three Britain-based players start for Fiji
"Fiji coach John McKee has named three Britain-based players in his team for Friday's World Cup opener with England."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34267327

Fiji: Metuisela Talebula; Waisea Nayacalevu, Vereniki Goneva, Gabiriele Lovobalavu, Nemani Nadolo; Ben Volavola, Nikola Matawalu; Campese Ma'afu, Sunia Koto, Manasa Saulo; Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, Leone Nakarawa; Dominiko Waqaniburotu, Akapusi Qera, Sakiusa Masi Matadigo.
Replacements: Tuapati Talemaitoga, Peni Ravai, Isei Colati, Tevita Cavubati, Peceli Yato, Nemia Kenatale, Joshua Matavesi, Asaeli Tikoirotuma.
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rugby: Springboks leave out big names for World Cup opener
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11514137

Side: Zane Kirchner, Lwazi Mvovo, Jesse Kriel, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Pat Lambie, Ruan Pienaar, Schalk Burger, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw, Victor Matfield, Lood de Jager, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira

Reserves: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Fourie du Preez, Handre Pollard, JP Pietersen
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc MacGyver wrote:

Rugby: Springboks leave out big names for World Cup opener
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11514137

Side: Zane Kirchner, Lwazi Mvovo, Jesse Kriel, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Pat Lambie, Ruan Pienaar, Schalk Burger, Willem Alberts, Francois Louw, Victor Matfield, Lood de Jager, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira

Reserves: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Fourie du Preez, Handre Pollard, JP Pietersen

Absolutely hate this line-up, but I suspect they'll change it for Samoa and Scotland.

Subs for Samoa/Scotland:
Kirchner -> le Roux
Pienaar -> du Preez
Burger -> Vermeulen
Matfield -> Etzebeth

I really hope Meyer puts in de Allende for de Villiers as well, but he's the captain, so maybe they play him on the wing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:

Absolutely hate this line-up, but I suspect they'll change it for Samoa and Scotland.

Subs for Samoa/Scotland:
Kirchner -> le Roux
Pienaar -> du Preez
Burger -> Vermeulen
Matfield -> Etzebeth

I really hope Meyer puts in de Allende for de Villiers as well, but he's the captain, so maybe they play him on the wing.

Teams always like to go into a RWC with a mixture of both youth & experience, so I’m not surprised by these selections… Pool B looks to be the weakest of the RWC, (The competition in this group with be for the 2nd spot) so that makes it perfect for experimenting & more importantly giving players like de Villiers much needed game time…

Damian de Allende has had a stellar Super Rugby campaign, followed up by a strong showing with the SA XV side… While Jean has played very little Rugby since, what was one of the worst looking knee injuries I’ve ever seen on a Rugby pitch...

They need to find out if he is the same guy as the one before the injury? (You’re a Vikings fan by the looks, so this situation is similar to Peterson’s… Adrian looked very rusty week 1; behind the pace… Some people are questioning if he is the same guy after his extensive layoff? Jean is in the same boat.)

If Jean is the same guy then his big match experience may be invaluable… However I agree with you alluding to Damian de Allende as the future, I’d say the torch will definitely be passed sooner rather than later.

(On a side note… One thing SA may be concerned about is pairing two young guys together & having an inexperienced mid-field, if they are planning on starting Jesse Kriel at Outside centre… The de Allende/Kriel combination though will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.)
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc MacGyver wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Subs for Samoa/Scotland:
Kirchner -> le Roux
Pienaar -> du Preez
Burger -> Vermeulen
Matfield -> Etzebeth

Teams always like to go into a RWC with a mixture of both youth & experience, so I’m not surprised by these selections… Pool B looks to be the weakest of the RWC, (The competition in this group with be for the 2nd spot) so that makes it perfect for experimenting & more importantly giving players like de Villiers much needed game time…

Damian de Allende has had a stellar Super Rugby campaign, followed up by a strong showing with the SA XV side… While Jean has played very little Rugby since, what was one of the worst looking knee injuries I’ve ever seen on a Rugby pitch...

They need to find out if he is the same guy as the one before the injury? (You’re a Vikings fan by the looks, so this situation is similar to Peterson’s… Adrian looked very rusty week 1; behind the pace… Some people are questioning if he is the same guy after his extensive layoff? Jean is in the same boat.)

If Jean is the same guy then his big match experience may be invaluable… However I agree with you alluding to Damian de Allende as the future, I’d say the torch will definitely be passed sooner rather than later.

(On a side note… One thing SA may be concerned about is pairing two young guys together & having an inexperienced mid-field, if they are planning on starting Jesse Kriel at Outside centre… The de Allende/Kriel combination though will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.)

Yeah, I get why HM is doing what he's doing, he loves experience. What scares me is that guys like Matfield, de Villiers and Burger/Kirchner might have great games against Japan, and suddenly are contention to start against bigger nations. I feel he might start one or two of Matfield/Burger/de Villiers, when realistically none of them should start against top tier nations.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 3 of 42

Jump to: