Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings looking to pillage a new suburb?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mattyice0401


Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 265
Location: Skol Vikes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool that the Vikings are moving to NW airlines old office building. I grew up about 10 minutes away from the location in Eagan off Cliff and Highway 3,Went to the local HS. My father worked for NW before they got bought out, I have many fond memories as a child going to those office buildings for take your child to work day getting to ride ride/fly some flight simulators, going into all the office supply rooms and screwing around with all the office supplies or just going to hang out with my dad for a day. It's a great location, as said before its pretty darn close to the airport it's in a secluded, quiet location almost "off the grid" a bit. Eagan is a phenomenal suburb with a great high school. Makes me love the Vikes even more now having that connection. I'm usually a lurker on these forums, I read what you guys post every day and love the knowledge and class you guys bring to the forums. Great examples of what true Minnesotans are all about. Just a side note that's pretty cool that we used to have a member on these forums and now he works for the Vikings after submitting his work on the 2013 draft class.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82975
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
I would also guess that the seating capacity in many [high school fields] exceeds that of the one the Vikings are building.

i think the Vikings one is slated to seat 10,000, isn't it?
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35764
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
You'd also have to wonder who will be willing to pay for the restriping to change the use to soccer or some other sport. Might be useful for regional tournaments or for end of year playoffs if a neutral field is desired.

It's going to be a sport turf field which likely means no re-striping.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Colorado Vike wrote:
I would also guess that the seating capacity in many [high school fields] exceeds that of the one the Vikings are building.

i think the Vikings one is slated to seat 10,000, isn't it?

Plans call for an indoor facility with a roof line high enough to allow punting drills, multiple grass practice fields, and a 5,000-6,000 seat stadium that could be expanded to 10,000 seats.
The Vikings would like the stadium to be an asset for the team and community, a venue for public and civic events and athletics. It could be used to host “Friday Night Lights” high school games of the week, soccer, lacrosse. A hockey rink, perhaps, could be placed on the sports turf surface.


http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Eagan-Open-Official-Process-for-HQ-Proposal/122f91e5-cd50-45ba-be1f-3422a5df1045
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82975
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the team facilities, plans for the site call for mixed-use development that could take until 2030 to fill out. That includes two hotels, a conference center, shops, residential buildings, a medical clinic and office buildings. The Vikings would be the “anchor tenant” for the development, Bagley said, with the rest rising around the team. He said the team hadn’t yet broken down the costs for each phase of the plan, but that a full buildout could mean as much as $500 million in development.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/17/vikings-detail-their-plans-for-work-play-live-eagan-headquarters/

hotels...

Think

i wonder how long after they're built before a smart Egan travel agent works up a package deal for travel to Minny, lodging at the hotels, a tour of the facility or being able to watch a practice, transportation to the new stadium, and game tickets.
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28565
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyice0401 wrote:
Eagan is a phenomenal suburb with a great high school.


I'm just old enough to know when Eagan didn't have a high school. In fact, looking it up, I think I was just entering my freshman year of high school when Eagan High School opened.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mattyice0401


Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 265
Location: Skol Vikes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
mattyice0401 wrote:
Eagan is a phenomenal suburb with a great high school.


I'm just old enough to know when Eagan didn't have a high school. In fact, looking it up, I think I was just entering my freshman year of high school when Eagan High School opened.


Go Wildcats!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Smith BYU


Joined: 04 Feb 2015
Posts: 2083
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Beyond the team facilities, plans for the site call for mixed-use development that could take until 2030 to fill out. That includes two hotels, a conference center, shops, residential buildings, a medical clinic and office buildings. The Vikings would be the “anchor tenant” for the development, Bagley said, with the rest rising around the team. He said the team hadn’t yet broken down the costs for each phase of the plan, but that a full buildout could mean as much as $500 million in development.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/17/vikings-detail-their-plans-for-work-play-live-eagan-headquarters/

hotels...

Think

i wonder how long after they're built before a smart Egan travel agent works up a package deal for travel to Minny, lodging at the hotels, a tour of the facility or being able to watch a practice, transportation to the new stadium, and game tickets.


They would own the only convention facility in the southern suburbs. It's pure genius. MLPS convention center is a miserable place. The only real competition would be Excel Energy center. It's quite funny the city that ponied up money for the stadium will compete with the owner of that facility. With his own convention center. Billionaires?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colorado Vike


Joined: 12 Jun 2015
Posts: 273
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Smith BYU wrote:
They would own the only convention facility in the southern suburbs. It's pure genius. MLPS convention center is a miserable place. The only real competition would be Excel Energy center. It's quite funny the city that ponied up money for the stadium will compete with the owner of that facility. With his own convention center. Billionaires?


The Wilfs have played the real estate game far longer than they have the football game. And they're arguably a whole lot better at it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the reason for the change in the on-site stadium.

The major change in the latest plan is the orientation of the headquarters site. Because of concerns raised by Mendota Heights, the Vikings have moved a proposed stadium with up to 10,000 seats south to a sunken bowl on the property.

The team’s three-story headquarters and abutting inside practice facility would rise above the stadium and provide a sound and light barrier for homes on the other side of the highway.


http://www.startribune.com/eagan-mayor-welcomes-vikings-formal-plans-for-new-headquarters/372364041/

Remember, this was the original site concept:



You can see the stadium at the top of the picture, right next to O'Neill Drive and Interstate 494.

Compared to this week's site concept:



Stadium shifted slightly south. The larger blacked-in structure would be the team headquarters and indoor practice facility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82975
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings want to bring the NFL draft and all its hype to the Twin Cities.

Lester Bagley, Vikings executive vice president of stadium development and public affairs, said the team has started conversations with the NFL events staff about hosting the three-day spring event, possibly as early as 2018.

The site Bagley highlighted to host the draft doesn’t exist yet. He said the team’s future headquarters and practice facility in Eagan would be the ideal location for a community-driven event. Pending city approval, construction on the project is expected to begin in June and be completed by April 2018. If all goes as planned, the facility could be finished just in time to host the 2018 draft. Bagley also said the Vikings’ new billion-dollar stadium could host the event.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-minneapolis-want-to-host-nfl-draft-possibly-as-soon-as-2018/377333581/
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colorado Vike


Joined: 12 Jun 2015
Posts: 273
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The site Bagley highlighted to host the draft doesn’t exist yet. He said the team’s future headquarters and practice facility in Eagan would be the ideal location for a community-driven event.


He can't even be serious, can he?

First, the NFL has at least a dozen larger cities that would make more sense than Minneapolis. And then Bagley wants to hold it out in the freaking suburbs? Did he also suggest that the Vikings would provide all the hamburgers, potato salad and cotton candy for the event, along with hay rides and a ferris wheel for visitors?

Does downtown Minneapolis not have a single venue capable of hosting such an event?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
He can't even be serious, can he?

Yes, he can be.

Colorado Vike wrote:
First, the NFL has at least a dozen larger cities that would make more sense than Minneapolis. And then Bagley wants to hold it out in the freaking suburbs? Did he also suggest that the Vikings would provide all the hamburgers, potato salad and cotton candy for the event, along with hay rides and a ferris wheel for visitors?

Is that what you think suburban living is like?

Colorado Vike wrote:
Does downtown Minneapolis not have a single venue capable of hosting such an event?

Well, they could host it at US Bank Stadium, but that doesn't really fit what they seem to be looking for if they want an indoor/outdoor element. Plus there'd probably more red tape from dealing with the city.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SodakViking


Joined: 02 Oct 2011
Posts: 1743
Location: 605
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Colorado Vike wrote:
He can't even be serious, can he?

Yes, he can be.

Colorado Vike wrote:
First, the NFL has at least a dozen larger cities that would make more sense than Minneapolis. And then Bagley wants to hold it out in the freaking suburbs? Did he also suggest that the Vikings would provide all the hamburgers, potato salad and cotton candy for the event, along with hay rides and a ferris wheel for visitors?

Is that what you think suburban living is like?

Colorado Vike wrote:
Does downtown Minneapolis not have a single venue capable of hosting such an event?

Well, they could host it at US Bank Stadium, but that doesn't really fit what they seem to be looking for if they want an indoor/outdoor element. Plus there'd probably more red tape from dealing with the city.


Guthrie would be sick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13157
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minnesota Vikings were scheduled to get the full go-ahead on construction at their new practice facility Monday, but the process has been pushed back a month thanks to an 11th-hour objection by the Metropolitan Council, which oversees policies for the Twin Cities metro area to give the region a common vision for growth and projects, from city expansion to road projects.

The Met Council has been a controversial group over the years, since it wields a lot of bureaucratic power, but its members aren’t elected officials. When the Vikings announced their plan last year to move their team headquarters from Eden Prairie by constructing a massive multi-phase team headquarters and practice facility in Eagan, it quickly jumped the majority of the early hurdles with the City of Eagan and Dakota County.

However, a late objection from the Met Council will result in the anticipated final hurdle – official approval from the Eagan City Council for the proposed construction on the 185-acre site that formerly housed Northwest Airlines.

Because of the Met Council’s objection, the hearing to approve the plan was pushed back from the Eagan City Council’s May 23 meeting to its June 21 meeting. While the ultimate decision lies with Eagan and Dakota County, the project plan needs the Met Council’s endorsement and Lester Bagley, the Vikings Vice President of Public Affairs and Stadium Development, expressed surprise and some anger about the timing of the Met Council objection.

“It was a little frustrating because the Met Council had a couple of months to evaluate the proposal and express any concerns they might have,” Bagley said. “There was a comment period and 30 minutes before the comment period, they filed an objection. It was a little frustrating because we’ve been very diligent. This proposal was not opposed by MnDOT (Minnesota Department of Transportation), the city or the county, but the Met Council raised a concern.”


http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1671777-vikings-new-headquarters-delayed
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group