Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drfrey13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
Does anybody see a way to shore up our pass coverage from the LBs without drafting a top LB in the first 2 rounds. I do not see it in free agency or in prospects outside of round 2. A hybrid like Peppers could do it but he will go in the first 2 rounds anyways.

There are options in the 3rd and later rounds:

Elijah Lee
Anthony Walker Jr.
Rayshawn Jenkins
Jaylon Brown

Probably more I can't think of.

Anzalone or will he go earlier?

With Neiron Ball, Heeney and James already on board, if we don't get a LB in FA or early in the draft I'd give them another chance to prove themselves. James in particular flashed some potential. Important we get a vet in though.

Just did a defensive heavy mock simulation looking for some of the players people have mentioned.

24: R1P24
DL JONATHAN ALLEN (Will not be there but you can replace with Malik McDowell)
ALABAMA
56: R2P24
S OBI MELIFONWU
CONNECTICUT
88: R3P24
LB ALEX ANZALONE
FLORIDA
128: R4P23
CB FABIAN MOREAU
UCLA
169: R5P24
RB JOE MIXON
OKLAHOMA
209: R6P24
OT WILL HOLDEN
VANDERBILT
245: R7P24
TE ERIC SAUBERT
DRAKE (Pass Catching TE)
or
TE TAYLOR MCNAMARA
USC (Blocking TE)

Most simulations have Zach Cunningham and Jarrad Davis going in the first and Malik Hooker falling to our pick.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you rather have:
Sean Smith at 9.5mil
AJ Bouye at 12.5mil
a 1st or 2nd rd CB plus Alterraun Verner or Captain Munnerlyn for 6mil?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Would you rather have:
Sean Smith at 9.5mil
AJ Bouye at 12.5mil

Sean Smith.

An underrated element to defensive backs in communication and knowing what the other positions are doing and what their responsibilities in relation to yours is on the field. Sean Smith in year two should build off of that, where other options start from scratch. That doesn't mean I'm endorsing Sean Smith as superior to Bouye or a 1st round CB, but I think next year the risk is lowest and the floor is lowest for a SB push with Sean Smith. I also do not want to cut Reggie Nelson for a couple million in cap unless we go for an elite talent like LeVeon Bell and absolutely need the money (or Carr/Mack's contracts deem it necessary, in which case Sean Smith below a round 1 CB makes sense).

Sean Smith got murdered by Brandin Cooks, but played at a starter quality for good enough stretches. He's older, but not too old, and is overpaid, but still not an extraordinary weakness. He should have a not major, but adequate leap in playing ability next year with development in the system and motivation to not be released the next year. Sean Smith is talented and fairly unique talent at that though. Large CB still needs to be addressed, but it's not the largest need on the team. I'd say that a 5tech/3tech opposite Mario Edwards, a MLB and WLB, and Nickel are greater needs, and that safety is another need on par or slightly ahead - defensively. That is unless cap space deems him expendable.
reddevil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Would you rather have:
Sean Smith at 9.5mil
AJ Bouye at 12.5mil

Sean Smith and a drafted CB. If the right player is there at 24, I'd be happy to draft a CB there. There are plenty of options - players who could come in and with Smith for insurance not be forced into the starting lineup immediately. If they ball out and make Smith redundant early then great.

And If not in round 1, I'd be looking to bring in a CB rounds 2-4 to either be groomed to take over in a year or so or at the least be our nickel or compete with Carrie. We desperately need more depth at the position.
RaiderMike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Aldon Smith play weak side line backer?
Rolni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderMike wrote:
Can Aldon Smith play weak side line backer?

Which scheme?

4-3 WLB is out of the question.

3-4 ROLB, who can be called WOLB is a sure thing.
101Raider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this article which articulates the 4-3 under defense better than most explanations that I've seen. It's a couple of years old and is specific to the University of Washington, but it outlines very clearly what the roles and responsibilities of each position is supposed to be.

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2013/9/13/4727200/the-4-3-under-defining-the-defense

Interesting notes:

The UT is identified as being one of the if not the most important player on the defense. This is concerning in that our UT is essentially non-existent and I do not see a true difference maker in the draft (at our pick) or left over in free agency.

McDowell, Brantley, Adams and Johnson could all fill the role, but I don't consider any of the as transcendent talents. I almost wonder if we are looking at moving Edwards to DT full time (his injury obviously a huge concern) and will look at a SDE in the draft which is what makes me think there might be some truth to the Tanoh Kpassagnon rumor as he'd make an ideal SDE (think 3-4 DE)

The other thing I found interesting was that generally the Will is the leading tackler on the defense. This makes sense why Smith was our leading tackler as this is the general strategy for the defense, to funnel players directly to the WLB. As this relates to the draft, I'm concerned with the idea of Zach Cunningham taking this spot, though tackling form is something that may be correctable.

Either way, there are several good, quality FA that I believe can admirably fill this roll (Brown would be ideal). in the draft I like Anthony Walker the most and would have no issues with using our 2nd and would be ecstatic with our 3rd on him.
NickButera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderMike wrote:
Can Aldon Smith play *football*?

FFY

Probably not.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
RaiderMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question if we get Aldon smith back could we play him at LDE and move Mack back to weak side LB? Mack won honers at both LB and DE.
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderMike wrote:
I've got a question if we get Aldon smith back could we play him at LDE and move Mack back to weak side LB? Mack won honers at both LB and DE.

We could have this potential front seven if we sign Zach Brown

Leo: Mack
UT: Latham
NT: Williams
Base: Edwards
Weakside: Irvin
Middle: Brown
Strongside: Aldon
could be talented but alot of questions
Can Latham take that step? Will Williams get in shape? Can Aldon keep clean? Can Irvin play weakside? Can Edwards stay healthy
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC4_Life wrote:
RaiderMike wrote:

We could have this potential front seven if we sign Zach Brown

Leo: Mack
UT: Latham
NT: Williams
Base: Edwards
Weakside: Irvin
Middle: Brown
Strongside: Aldon
could be talented but alot of questions
Can Latham take that step? Will Williams get in shape? Can Aldon keep clean? Can Irvin play weakside? Can Edwards stay healthy

have you been under a rock mah dude ? Can Aldon stay clean lmao did u not see the video of him still high as the Goodyear blimp and Or Wasted

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither mack nor irvin are weakside backers
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was aldon actually even reinstated?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Was aldon actually even reinstated?

In rehab maybe.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
I saw this article which articulates the 4-3 under defense better than most explanations that I've seen. The UT is identified as being one of the if not the most important player on the defense. This is concerning in that our UT is essentially non-existent and I do not see a true difference maker in the draft (at our pick) or left over in free agency.

I disagree that UT is the most important position of our defense. In fact, a solid rotation can resolve the position fairly well (which de did in 2015), but we unfortunately don't have a reliable 3T currently on the roster. Reggie drafted Jihad Ward to start at this spot, but he's far away from being a competent starter if his Illinois and 2016 tape is anything to go by. I don't think think Edwards would be an ideal 3T in base considering what else he can do for the defense. He can bump inside in nickel but he's ideally a 4T/5T (or base end or left end) in our scheme and can even play edge across from Mack like he did when Aldon Smith got suspended.

Quote:
The other thing I found interesting was that generally the Will is the leading tackler on the defense. This makes sense why Smith was our leading tackler as this is the general strategy for the defense, to funnel players directly to the WLB. As this relates to the draft, I'm concerned with the idea of Zach Cunningham taking this spot, though tackling form is something that may be correctable.

Smith led the team in tackles because he never gets hurt and MLB was filled by three different players. The WLB is also likelier to be involved in more play considering it's the primary tight end defender, too. I really like Cunningham as a prospect. I don't think the value is there for him at the end of round one, but I wouldn't be mad if we took him. I actually like him most at MLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 97 of 101

Jump to: