You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Jarius finally got it right?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After kicker Blair Walsh signed a contract extension, receiver Jarius Wright became one of the more likely members of the 2012 draft class to enter talks about an extension.

Wright: We havent even talked about it or thought about it. I told my agent to hold back on it so I can work on playing football. Everything else will come. Whenever Rick Spielman tells me its my time, Ill be ready. I trust him. But its football first.

Wright did say that he wants to finish his career here and would be willing to talk about an extension this summer.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-notes-patterson-impressive-according-to-zimmer/319730271/

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright will have to have a big year to be worth extending IMO. He's not bad, but I think they'll have little trouble replacing him with a guy on a rookie contract, even without using a premium draft pick (which they didn't with Diggs and Wallace).

If Diggs produces in his rookie season, I think a lot of his snaps will come at Wright's expense, playing slot and subbing in for Wallace at flanker.

For the 2012 class, I predict extensions like this:
Definitely: Smith, Walsh (done)
Likely: Ellison, Cole
Unlikely unless 2015 play impresses: Wright, Blanton, Robinson
May be kept for 5th option year even if he's a tire fire while they groom a 2016 rookie: Kalil

Wright, Robinson and Blanton would each have a chance to find a respectable second contract in FA, which would potentially return value to MN as comp picks.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Wright will have to have a big year to be worth extending IMO. He's not bad, but I think they'll have little trouble replacing him with a guy on a rookie contract, even without using a premium draft pick (which they didn't with Diggs and Wallace).

If Diggs produces in his rookie season, I think a lot of his snaps will come at Wright's expense, playing slot and subbing in for Wallace at flanker.

For the 2012 class, I predict extensions like this:
Definitely: Smith, Walsh (done)
Likely: Ellison, Cole
Unlikely unless 2015 play impresses: Wright, Blanton, Robinson
May be kept for 5th option year even if he's a tire fire while they groom a 2016 rookie: Kalil

Wright, Robinson and Blanton would each have a chance to find a respectable second contract in FA, which would potentially return value to MN as comp picks.

I'm generally in agreement with Wright's extension my only clarification would be, define what a "big" year is. He's not going to have a traditionally monster season since he's not a top-flight guy. But if he puts up numbers similar to last year, I don't mind keeping him around with a decent raise.

One thing the stats wont show: the relationship between him and Teddy. Bridgewater seems to like throwing to Wright, and the two seem to be very in sync on the field. That's valuable, and something that even if a guy like CP or Diggs has more raw talent makes Wright worth keeping around (or at least strongly considering it before moving on).

One more thing: Wright seems perfectly happy with his slot role. Role players knowing and accepting their spot on the team is valuable too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright is one of my favorite guys on the team, and it would definitely make me sad to see him go. I understand football is a business, but I'm hopeful he has an extended future in MN.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe while, yes, Wright probably is a replaceable piece, he's also a reliable piece, something which you can't guarantee with the replacement. Unless he asks for an absurd amount of money, they should be able to extend him at maybe $4-$5M a year max. He isn't going to command Randall Cobb money.

He is going to be a hard decision though, because of that ability to replace him.

Thx to Lil Uno!
byuvike88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I believe while, yes, Wright probably is a replaceable piece, he's also a reliable piece, something which you can't guarantee with the replacement. Unless he asks for an absurd amount of money, they should be able to extend him at maybe $4-$5M a year max. He isn't going to command Randall Cobb money.

He is going to be a hard decision though, because of that ability to replace him.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how it works out

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings continued their recent success of passing on third down with the help of wide receiver Jarius Wright, who has been a regular target for Bridgewater in these situations throughout the season. Wright had two third-down receptions converted for first downs to extend the Vikings first two touchdown drives in their 49-17 win over the New York Giants.

Zimmer: I think that Teddy has a good feel for Wright, but were designing some plays to get him open on some of those third downs, but its not just third downs that were trying to get him the ball. But when we convert third downs, we typically score points and thats shown up the last few weeks.

http://www.startribune.com/access-vikings-morning-walkthrough-vikings-playing-with-right-mentality-zimmer-pleased-to-have-healthy-defense/363720561/

Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I just don't see a whole lot of potential in Wright. He makes a play here and there, but nothing all that spectacular. I've always thought that he and Theilen are both JAGs. It wouldn't be a bad decision to replace him, IMO, because his ceiling is so low. Maybe the replacement would be worse, but he could very easily be better too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Wright makes a play here and there, but nothing all that spectacular.

Think

beating Richard Sherman for a td: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-J2wJ8KOXU

taking it 87 yards and to the house while running past five defenders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wimu9gUNUo0

SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Wright makes a play here and there, usually on 3rd down. But all of our receivers are only making a play here or there. While Bridgewater and the offense have certainly played better the last 3 weeks, the passing game certainly isn't a prolific one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Yep, Wright makes a play here and there, usually on 3rd down. But all of our receivers are only making a play here or there. While Bridgewater and the offense have certainly played better the last 3 weeks, the passing game certainly isn't a prolific one.

In his role, he's a good receiver. But he's not good enough IMO to be a 1 or 2.

I don't think he needs to be replaced though. We really have our 2 through 5 receivers locked up, just need to find that No. 1 guy.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

I don't think he needs to be replaced though. We really have our 2 through 5 receivers locked up, just need to find that No. 1 guy.

Exactly. Wright's never been seen or utilized as the team's #1 or #2 receiver. He the Vikings's #3 and slot receiver. And 400-500 yards from your #3 receiver is pretty good production.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Klomp wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

Exactly. Wright's never been seen or utilized as the team's #1 or #2 receiver. He the Vikings's #3 and slot receiver. And 400-500 yards from your #3 receiver is pretty good production.

Yea I don't like the idea of trying to replace a good role player unless money is involved or an opportunity arises.

But I'm a guy who has felt comfortable with Sherels for the last few years lol.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the Vikings just gave Wright a contract extension this summer.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarius Wright insisted he wasnt bothered by the signing this month of free agent Michael Floyd, who will compete with Wright for time at wide receiver. The Vikings also took receivers Rodney Adams and Stacy Coley in last months draft. Theres suddenly a logjam at the position, with Wright trying to get more playing time after being used sparingly last season.

Wright: I dont care about [the acquisitions at receiver]. Im going to be the same guy. You can bring in a thousand receivers and Jarius Wright wont change. Thats just my mind-set. Im going to go out and be me every day. Im a playmaker, so Im going to make plays.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/24/vikings-rookie-rb-dalvin-cook-draws-praise-at-otas/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: