Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Fa's and Signings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: New Fa's and Signings Reply with quote

The Oakland Raiders released offensive lineman Frank Middleton, safety Ray Buchanan and tight end Roland Williams
Might be a possible safety for us now that hes FA?

The New Englands Patriots have let WR Troy Brown go
May be a Good option if we cant get buress? or mabey Both?

Tampa Bay relaeases Brad Johnson ,Joe Jurevicius, linebacker Ian Gold and cornerback Mario Edwards
Maybe option in Ian Gold for us?

Jag's signed back Safety Donovin Darius
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priority #1 in free agency- Plaxico Burress - as a good # of other posters have said, he's Moss pt. 2, without all the "antics" ... to be fair, I think personally he's (on the field) a Randy Moss at 85-90%, thats still ONE HELLUVA reciever, not to mention his pay would probably be 85-90% of Moss'

another reason for Plax, over say L. Coles, or D. Mason, is that he brings much bigger size, jumping ability (we've all seen how awesome that can be in the redzone) and perhaps most importantly a better RUN BLOCKING ability.

Something everyone forgets that Moss brought to the table was quite commonly 2 defenders locked onto him all game, usually a safety required to stay deep, that made it REAL tough for teams to squeeze 8 guys in the box, like they would without Moss. Picking up Plax will bring at least better run support, even if he cant draw the double teams like Moss did.

Plax vs M. Williams or B. Edwards- sure both of these guys "could" be stars... but quite frankly we dont *know* they will... Plax is proven, and brings as much RAW talent to the table as EITHER of these guys do, along with the experience that neither of them have. Plax has slightly bigger size over Edwards, and slightly better speed than Williams with equal size.

**End Rant**

as far as the guys you listed

Middleton- good backup, considering we saw the problems we had with some of our starters hurt (dont forget C. Withrow was released) probably costly.

R. Buchanon- WAY too old, he's not really any improvement over Russel or Chavous, and neither *need* to be replaced unless its by someone who is SURE to be better

Troy Brown- I like the guy, but honestly he's not the type of guy the Vikings really "need" he'd be a great luxury to have, but *in my opinion* we got Nate Burleson already, who looks to be much like a future Troy Brown (though who knows if he can play DB like Troy did)

B. Johnson- He'd be great to get back as a backup, but probably too much money required.

Ian Gold- good guy, but they'd be better off if they could swipe up Derrick Johnson in the draft (though thats a gamble since there's no certainty he falls that far)

Personally, the Vikings really should be looking for that #2 Corner (maybe #1) and perhaps a FS to replace russel. Antrel Rolle would be a great addition, especially if they took him onboard while picking up a free agent corner (maybe Ty Law?- assuming its 3-4 year deal) and letting Antrel DEVELOP as a corner, instead of throwing him out there and hoping we can go to the superbowl with him at CB #2 (he could play nickel, and FS)

A big DT from the draft or free agency would be nice too... I've no real problem repeating a lot of what others have said, because its true, we need someone inside with K. Williams to help give us that strong D-line to reduce the amount of blitzing required to get pressure.

I suppose all 3 levels on defense really could use 1 or more top notch D players... with all the money and draft picks they Vikes have now, I'll be an angry viking fan if they dont do something to *try* to improve (obviously sometimes things dont work out, but I'd prefer to see the attempt than sitting around doing nothing)
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just announced on ESPN that Chris Samuels resigns with Washington
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Official the Moss trade has went through. For Harris and 7th overall pick pluse the late rounder.

Derric Mason has signed with Baltimore, and LB Dexter Coakley signed with St.Louis

Now we have to get Plax, if not the only of they guy is Brown
skolvikings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sold on Burress. If Buress is the "2nd coming" of Randy Moss, why did the Steelers let him go scott-free? He's a good player, but not no top 5 superstar that Moss was. Stop comparing them.
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah i know what your saying but, we need that 7th overall pick to get some on defense perferable Johnson, and you we cant have Nate Burelson as are #1 guy...Thats just sad...or we could even get Brown he can go back ans play CB if someone gets hurt plus hes a good kick returner. And we still have Robinson who can get up high for the endzone passes.
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex brings experiance to the WR. He is also huge for a reciever. He isnt Randy Moss but is similar to him in the redzone because he can jump so damn high. I believe that by signing him we get the reciever we'll need, I'm confident enough that Daunte will make plays for us. What about trading our 18th pick, a runningback and a later round pick into the top 10 and drafting the best HB available? We'll get the best defensive player available, hopefully DJ, and then with the other pick get a RB. Next year we need to control the ball much better b/c this year there were times we would get the bacll in the 4th quarter, score in a minute and give the other teams too much time to score against us.
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want a RB....a would rather trade up for Davis or one of the CB's out or a reciever if we dont get buress. well we should have either Bennet/Smith as #1 guy depending on which one we trade, and then the games mewelde played he was awsome so he may even get a crack at #1 position. Personally after watching him play those 3 or 4 games i thought he played the best all season out of all guys.

I say with 7th overall draft DJ
tarde the 18th overall plus a RB for a higher 1st rounder so if we need a WR we can get one or one of CB's left or Davis. Not a RB
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defensive tackle Gerard Warren,of the Cleveland Browns, was traded to the Denver Broncos on Wednesday for a fourth-round selection in this year's NFL draft.
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skolvikings wrote:
I'm not so sold on Burress. If Buress is the "2nd coming" of Randy Moss, why did the Steelers let him go scott-free? He's a good player, but not no top 5 superstar that Moss was. Stop comparing them.

Let him go scott free? They would have liked to have kept him, but they dont have the money to do so. To be fair, I do also believe they both had differing "opinions" and Plax was not entirely happy with the situation, but Ben had personally endorsed Plax, and his desire for him to come back. So it was mostly a salary cap issue that Plax was not resigned, (Steelers had about 3 mil in room, and Plax will probably require AT LEAST 3 mil)

I dont recall saying he'd be a top 5 reciever, but I will admit I said he's about 85-90% of Moss... I'd say that puts him into the top 10, and I think if you went around the league he'd manage to get into top 10 consideration now (He'll get paid top 10 WR salary no matter where he goes)

The biggest asset of him coming is he brings just about everything the Vikings lost in Moss, with less attitude (most importantly less poor leadership attitude)

I'm not saying I'd take Plax OVER Moss... dont get me wrong, I'm not crazy, but I do think Plax is the best replacement the Vikings can get.

If he comes here, and doesnt get injured, he'll be a fair lock for 10 TDs a season or more. (could honestly get 15+ TDs in a great season, assuming the vikes dont go offensively conservative)
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another top WR Free Agent is gone, Bengals resign WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
terms of the contract were undisclosed
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mighty baron wrote:
Another top WR Free Agent is gone, Bengals resign WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
terms of the contract were undisclosed

4 year deal, dont know the money though
mighty baron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings have signed DT Pat Williams to a 3 year deal worth $13 million that includes $6 million in bonus money. With incentives the contract can eventually reach $15 million.

Now lets grab plaxico well were at it and its the first day to this is unreal...mabey they were serious when they sadi they will be busy early??
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mighty baron wrote:
The Vikings have signed DT Pat Williams to a 3 year deal worth $13 million that includes $6 million in bonus money. With incentives the contract can eventually reach $15 million.

Now lets grab plaxico well were at it and its the first day to this is unreal...mabey they were serious when they sadi they will be busy early??

Do u have a link or sumthing to clarify it? Ive heard it before but the only proof i have is from forums and thats it Also how much of the cap space was used for this deal? If u know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: