Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

Quote:
Not bowing to public pressure to play the No. 1 overall pick, Lewis named Kitna the starter and stuck with him through a rough beginning to the 2003 season. The Bengals finished 8-8 with Palmer, a future Pro Bowler, never taking a snap.

"To look back on it maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but the football team in the circumstance they were in couldn't afford to lose games because the quarterback was a rookie even as talented as Carson was," the coach said Tuesday.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/marvin_lewis_story.html

interesting
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:
Not bowing to public pressure to play the No. 1 overall pick, Lewis named Kitna the starter and stuck with him through a rough beginning to the 2003 season. The Bengals finished 8-8 with Palmer, a future Pro Bowler, never taking a snap.

"To look back on it maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but the football team in the circumstance they were in couldn't afford to lose games because the quarterback was a rookie even as talented as Carson was," the coach said Tuesday.

interesting

Carson came from a prostyle at USC. He called audibles, had a playbook and played under center quite a bit.

It really is a much different scenario. Not to mention that team had talent on offense.

I'd be much more inclined to think about it with Manziel if we had Gordon or really any decent WR options. I'm happy sparing him a complete crap season that could damage him physically and mentally.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

Carson came from a prostyle at USC. He called audibles, had a playbook and played under center quite a bit.

It really is a much different scenario. Not to mention that team had talent on offense.

I'd be much more inclined to think about it with Manziel if we had Gordon or really any decent WR options. I'm happy sparing him a complete crap season that could damage him physically and mentally.

another very interesting thing is that lewis had extra practice for palmer and the first teamers. i hope pettine does this as well.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

another very interesting thing is that lewis had extra practice for palmer and the first teamers. i hope pettine does this as well.

That would be very smart on their part. I think once the playbook clicks for him and we give him someone to throw too, it's just going to click and he is going to make plays like crazy.

Crazy to think that we are going to have 2 top 10 picks next year.

We will go from having no weapons to having Gordon and a top drafted WR.

mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

That would be very smart on their part. I think once the playbook clicks for him and we give him someone to throw too, it's just going to click and he is going to make plays like crazy.

we could very well go full on 2000 washington redskins and have two of the top 5 picks
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

we could very well go full on 2000 washington redskins and have two of the top 5 picks

It's gonna happen Laughing Crying or Very sad

poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manziel no longer a rookie
Gordon returning
Two top 5 picks parlayed into god knows how much talent

dowell, lets wreck the league (part 2)
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

And he was a 4 year starter....(started twoards the end of his freshman season)....Maniziel was in High-school 3 years ago...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

DaWg_LB. wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

And he was a 4 year starter....(started twoards the end of his freshman season)....Maniziel was in High-school 3 years ago...

3years ago he was a redshirt

played in 2013
played in 2012
Redshirt in 2011

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

3years ago he was a redshirt

played in 2013
played in 2012
Redshirt in 2011

I stand corrected....as he enrolled early at Tex A&M....usually a football player enrolls in the Summer or the Fall of that year....but you are correct...JF enrolled in January...I missed it....let me correct...3 years and 1 month past...he was a Sr. in High School Wink

Also another interesting fact.....Johhny only played QB full time... 2 years in HS also...I still stick to the main point, I was trying to make....by the time he made it the Pro's Carson Palmer had been a starting QB for 8 years....4 in a pro style offense......Johnny Football had been a starting QB for 4 years total with 0 years in a Pro Style offense......just saying...there is a huge difference in experience/preparation levels. Smile

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John kitna was better then hoyer. They had the luxury to sit carson

davdukes4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvin Lewis on Sitting Carson Palmer for a year Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Quote:

interesting

+1

I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing this, but next season is going to be better. 2 top ten picks, Gordon coming back and Manziel with a year to learn the playbook. Johnny is only a redshirt sophmore. It will be a few years until he starts dipping into his potential as a pocket passer.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad Hoyer is starting personally.

Manziel isn't anywhere near ready, which is pretty much expected IMO. He is only 21 and only played 2 years in college running a basic offense. I think the ability is there but the mental aspects and skills, such as looking off safeties, etc., aren't. Again, I'm fine with that.

I don't think he needs to sit for any certain amount of time but rather until he's ready. By ready I mean he know the playbook inside and out, feels comfortable running the offense, looks sharp in practice and simply outperforms Hoyer in practice routinely, be that 3 weeks or the whole season.

Also, you can always move on from Hoyer to Manziel but it's difficult to go back to Hoyer once Manziel gets the nod.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
bruceb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to sound like MKC is the only Manziel-for-starter left.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Starting to sound like MKC is the only Manziel-for-starter left.

lol i wouldnt call her pro manziel

i wouldnt really call anyone pro manziel, certainly not terry "i love brian hoyer" pluto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: