Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 3 - Titans @ Falcons - Jones+White? Uh-oh.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starting o-line was fine last night, and has been all-preseason. Almost all of the pressure allowed by the first team last night was allowed by the RBs, Greene in particular. Dunno how many times I heard Kerry Collins say "that on wasn't on the o-line, the RB just missed/whiffed on his blitz pickup". Jake had a clean pocket pretty much every time the RB didn't miss the blitz/his protection assignment.

And the defense got better as the game went on. It happened slowly, but did get better. Obviously taking that long to get going in the regular season will be absolutely killer though, and I'm just hoping it's due to the adjustment period of being in a Ray Horton defense.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - 1 Game/2 INTs/35.0 QB rating when thrown at
LT Michael Roos
2014 Stats - 1 Game/2 QB Hurries Allowed/7.0 YPC When ran behind
VYoung10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst everyone is talking about the other corners, lets not forget how subpar McCourty has been too. I mean he got worked by a 4th WR last night.
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Whilst everyone is talking about the other corners, lets not forget how subpar McCourty has been too. I mean he got worked by a 4th WR last night.

McCourty's earned the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned. I trust him to play like he always has once the games start to matter. Sensabaugh and BWW on the other hand...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
The starting o-line was fine last night, and has been all-preseason. Almost all of the pressure allowed by the first team last night was allowed by the RBs, Greene in particular. Dunno how many times I heard Kerry Collins say "that on wasn't on the o-line, the RB just missed/whiffed on his blitz pickup". Jake had a clean pocket pretty much every time the RB didn't miss the blitz/his protection assignment.

And the defense got better as the game went on. It happened slowly, but did get better. Obviously taking that long to get going in the regular season will be absolutely killer though, and I'm just hoping it's due to the adjustment period of being in a Ray Horton defense.

Well actually ...

Quote:
•Running back Shonn Greene tried to help save a play blown up by blitzing Falcons linebacker Paul Worrilow. That play, however, wasn't Greene's responsibility. Worrilow looped around and between center Brian Schwenke and left guard Andy Levitre and sacked Locker. Schwenke said they could have reacted faster, but were dealing with more dangerous players first and that it was a well-designed and executed blitz. Later, Greene missed a block in pass protection that got Locker sacked by cornerback Robert Alford.

And Jake had pressure all day. The o-line wasn't terrible, but with how much we have put into it, it needs to be one of the best in the league. And I sure do hope the defense is just adjusting to this new scheme.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 11 TKLS, 0 SACKS, 1 INTS, 1 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 2 TKLS, 0 SACKS
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:

He stumbled. Don't really know if that counts as got worked.

@Justin

Yup, the o-line allowed a couple pressures last night. That's gonna happen with every o-line, and thus why I said "almost all". Most of the issues came from RB's picking up their defender, though.

#1CB Jason McCourty
LT Michael Roos
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:

@Justin

Yup, the o-line allowed a couple pressures last night. That's gonna happen with every o-line, and thus why I said "almost all". Most of the issues came from RB's picking up their defender, though.

Yeah Greene missed the other pickup but I just think the whole group (o-line and RB's) HAVE to protect Locker better since you know, he is made of glass Laughing

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 11 TKLS, 0 SACKS, 1 INTS, 1 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 2 TKLS, 0 SACKS
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin615$ wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:

@Justin

Yeah Greene missed the other pickup but I just think the whole group (o-line and RB's) HAVE to protect Locker better since you know, he is made of glass Laughing

No doubt. Locker's took a couple of hits and bounced right back up each time, but every time he's taken one I cringe. Laughing

As another discussion point, has Mettenberger's play the past two weeks given him the right to have the #2 QB spot? To be fair to Whitehurst, his only time of extended play this pre-season he did pretty well against GB, but it's interesting none the less.

I've been a guy who has given Mettenberger absolutely 0 chance of being a successful player in this league and he's making me look really stupid right now, even if it is just against backups. If Locker(god forbid) does get hurt, I would want to see Mett. sooner rather than later.

In other news, this is nice to hear:

Quote:
Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 14h

Bernard Pollard said Ken Whisenhunt "ripped us" after sloppy effort in first half #Titans

Some other notes:

Quote:
Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 14h

Whisenhunt said he was pleased with play of Jake Locker. Clearly not happy with his defense #Titans

Quote:
Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 14h

Whiz: We didn't do enough around Locker. #Titans

#1CB Jason McCourty
LT Michael Roos
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:

McCourty's earned the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned. I trust him to play like he always has once the games start to matter. Sensabaugh and BWW on the other hand...

Bingo. McCourty was fine outside of the one stumble. I believe this is one of the guys who said Verner > McCourty. SMH
VYoung10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:

Bingo. McCourty was fine outside of the one stumble. I believe this is one of the guys who said Verner > McCourty. SMH

Nah, never said that. I just don't beleive McCourty is as good as alot of Titan fans around here think he is. And stumble or not, one play or not, he got beat by the 4th WR. Thats all it takes.
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I ended up taking from this game is that Shonn Greene cannot be our starting running back. He is just so slow. Not like, slow 40 yard dash slow, as that's really not all that important, but just slow to and through the hole. On runs where where guys like Sankey or McCluster would be to the second level and looking at 10+ yard gains, Shonn Greene is fighting through arm tackles for a 5 yard run. He has some value as a power back, but if we're giving him more than 10 carries a game, even with an improved offensive line, our running game is going to suffered. Add in the fact that he adds no receiving value and I just don't understand why we've wasted essentially all of our first team reps this preseason on the guy.

And all I want, more than anything, is for Jake to stay healthy this year.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:

Nah, never said that. I just don't beleive McCourty is as good as alot of Titan fans around here think he is. And stumble or not, one play or not, he got beat by the 4th WR. Thats all it takes.

The way the refs are calling pass interference on the defense I could walk on the field and get open or draw a flag against any NFL player out there.

Not really concerned about McCourty having one bad play.
ironlion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty concerned about our run game. I never have like Greene, he is to slow and extremely average at best. I'm not sold on sankey yet. He's struggled against 2-4th stringers this preseason. He has shown fumbling issues. And McCluster is not an nfl rb. He's a gimmick player at best.

I'll stick by what I said earlier this offseason, losing CJ will cost us games this year. Whether it be fumbling the ball, bad pass pro, or just plain old not good running. Everyone loved bashing CJ by the end but he did almost everything real well on this team. I hope I'm wrong about Sankey but I still don't see nfl calibre skills on him. Coming out of college and now after playing against backups. This run back by committee is going to have a rough year this year. I don't see an nfl calibre back on our roster.

And man don't even get me started on our defense. We did nothing to upgrade our problems this past offseason and it's going to show all year. No pass rush and poor tackling have been an issue for 5 years now. Hopefully they address it this offseason. Unless we need to draft another o linemen again in the first Wink

I do think our d will improve as they get into the scheme but will still struggle to generate a PR and coverage. We need an elite pass rush this offseason.
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
I'm pretty concerned about our run game. I never have like Greene, he is to slow and extremely average at best. I'm not sold on sankey yet. He's struggled against 2-4th stringers this preseason. He has shown fumbling issues. And McCluster is not an nfl rb. He's a gimmick player at best.

I'll stick by what I said earlier this offseason, losing CJ will cost us games this year. Whether it be fumbling the ball, bad pass pro, or just plain old not good running. Everyone loved bashing CJ by the end but he did almost everything real well on this team. I hope I'm wrong about Sankey but I still don't see nfl calibre skills on him. Coming out of college and now after playing against backups. This run back by committee is going to have a rough year this year. I don't see an nfl calibre back on our roster.

And man don't even get me started on our defense. We did nothing to upgrade our problems this past offseason and it's going to show all year. No pass rush and poor tackling have been an issue for 5 years now. Hopefully they address it this offseason. Unless we need to draft another o linemen again in the first Wink

I do think our d will improve as they get into the scheme but will still struggle to generate a PR and coverage. We need an elite pass rush this offseason.

We can agree to disagree on Sankey. He will be the lead back in the running back by committee. I believe Greene will be the goalline and short yardage back and Dexter is going to be lined up all over the formation. The OL can move people in the run game and Whiz will call plays to the offensive player's strengths (not running Dexter up the gut relentlessly like Dowell did last year with CJ). I didn't bash CJ but I didn't care for his failure to take ownership of his own decline in his performance and the always blaming others attitude for his lack of production. I hope he retires a Titan one day, but it was time for him to go. JMO

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: