Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How radical are you willing to go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the team does poorly this year, JJ and gang should look at blowing the whole thing up. It's a QB rich draft, and the team could nab its (potential) franchise QB, who would lead the club for the next decade or more. Take the cap hit next year and position the team to be big players in FA in 2016 and 2017.

Blowing it up includes exploring trading Dez, but only if it means getting at least one first-round pick along with other high selections.

The rebuild could be done quickly thanks to some decent pieces, especially on the OL (can't believe I'm saying this).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
If the team does poorly this year, JJ and gang should look at blowing the whole thing up. It's a QB rich draft, and the team could nab its (potential) franchise QB, who would lead the club for the next decade or more. Take the cap hit next year and position the team to be big players in FA in 2016 and 2017.

Blowing it up includes exploring trading Dez, but only if it means getting at least one first-round pick along with other high selections.

The rebuild could be done quickly thanks to some decent pieces, especially on the OL (can't believe I'm saying this).

I've been advocating blowing things up for a while. Really, everything starts with coaching and Garrett is simply not a good coach. Granted, I think he has been hamstrung by Jerry to some degree but he's still not a good technician at this point. We need a dynamic coach. A dynamic coach can turn things around quickly. We've seen it over and over.

After HC is addressed, the defensive trenches must be a top priority. The fastest way to address this is through FA which would mean clearing up money under the cap. Then, we have to use premium picks on the DL for the next 2-3 years.

Of course, all of that means very little if we don't have an NFL worthy QB which becomes more and more questionable with Romo's age and injury history. It simply must be addressed in the near future. And I have very little confidence with anybody currently associated with organization drafting a QB and I think Jerry has even less confidence in himself drafting a QB. I think Jerry would go the retread route. This brings us back to getting a dynamic HC. Until we get a HC who can do it all from placating Jerry to Xs and Os to drafting and scheming... I feel the well established reign of mediocrity will continue.

Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally behind the blowup.

Build around the young offensive lineaments and Dez Bryant. Better to make sure we field a true contender when they are 28-30. Not begging for 9-7 now.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think a 'Blow-Up' is necessary. Especially given that we have seen a steady transition of the old guard to the new.

We need to find the heir to Romo. We likely already have Witten's replacement. Ware has been replaced and as has Hatcher. We desperately need to replace our LS, though.

There is a strong youth movement going from one of the oldest to one of the youngest teams. We are setting ourselves up nicely, assuming we don't shot ourselves in the foot. Should we focus on securing defensive talent, things will be looking up. I am not particularly enamored with any QBs next year (1st round grade) and I would likely hold off on the heir for the following draft.

In the final analysis, should we have a losing season - like many predict - and Redball isn't re-hired, then the next Coaching Staff will have an excellent foundation to work with. Hopefully he will be able to execute.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I don't really think a 'Blow-Up' is necessary. Especially given that we have seen a steady transition of the old guard to the new.

We need to find the heir to Romo. We likely already have Witten's replacement. Ware has been replaced and as has Hatcher. We desperately need to replace our LS, though.

There is a strong youth movement going from one of the oldest to one of the youngest teams. We are setting ourselves up nicely, assuming we don't shot ourselves in the foot. Should we focus on securing defensive talent, things will be looking up. I am not particularly enamored with any QBs next year (1st round grade) and I would likely hold off on the heir for the following draft.

In the final analysis, should we have a losing season - like many predict - and Redball isn't re-hired, then the next Coaching Staff will have an excellent foundation to work with. Hopefully he will be able to execute.

This is my line of thinking.

We have a strong youth movement going on in Dallas and have since Garrett took over. What we really need are smart free agent signings moving forward and one or two more good drafts to bring in more defensive talent...and as T_O mentioned finding an heir to Romo is crucial.

I am not high on next years crop of QBs either...outside of maybe Brett Hundley. I would love for us to somehow land Chris Hackenburg in 2016, but that would likely require a top ten pick.

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hundley. But I am not as high on him as I was on RGIII and on Luck.

In Redball I Trust!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I like Hundley. But I am not as high on him as I was on RGIII and on Luck.

I don't think he's as pro ready as Luck...but I think with the ability to sit and learn for a year or two Hundley can become a good to great starter at the next level.

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way this team is built currently...a couple of bad contracts, one in particular, a defensive depth chart that appears mind numbingly bad...scheme changes etc...etc...makes the idea of blowing team up
a bigger task than I think anyone wants to admit too. Honestly, the fact that we even have to entertain the notion at this point, makes me want to puke.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
The way this team is built currently...a couple of bad contracts, one in particular, a defensive depth chart that appears mind numbingly bad...scheme changes etc...etc...makes the idea of blowing team up
a bigger task than I think anyone wants to admit too. Honestly, the fact that we even have to entertain the notion at this point, makes me want to puke.

Bad contract...Carr?

In Redball I Trust!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Bad contract...Carr?

Romo. Dallas is suck him for a few years healthy or not. Carr could possibly be added to that list as well. Plus, I believe Dallas is over over the cap already for next season, with only 38-40 players under contract. Hard to blow things up with stuff like that in the way, yes?

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be more youth, but the talent level is much worse, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Depth across the team is also extremely questionable. So while you could say there is a "youth movement" occurring, the quality of that "movement" is subpar at best. Let's be honest, is this team in any position to win the Super Bowl over the next two to three years, basically the time left on Romo's deal? I don't think so. It's going to take at least 2 to 3 years to rebuild the defence and acquire the depth across the team needed to be a contender.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be more youth, but the talent level is much worse, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Depth across the team is also extremely questionable. So while you could say there is a "youth movement" occurring, the quality of that "movement" is subpar at best. Let's be honest, is this team in any position to win the Super Bowl over the next two to three years, basically the time left on Romo's deal? I don't think so. It's going to take at least 2 to 3 years to rebuild the defence and acquire the depth across the team needed to be a contender.

We've seen teams turn it around in a year before. Heck, the Chiefs went from having the #1 overall pick to making the playoffs the next year.

It's the NFL and anything can happen.

^^^mack
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

We've seen teams turn it around in a year before. Heck, the Chiefs went from having the #1 overall pick to making the playoffs the next year.

The Chiefs had a top-10 defence, an excellent OL, and a great RB. What they lacked was solid QB play and coaching. They got both in one off-season. The Boys aren't merely one-player and a coaching change away from contending.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

While I agree that it could happen, the Chiefs benefitted from a very friendly schedule, I believe their first 5-6 opponents had a .300 something win %. Also iirc, I was reading somewhere KC only made something like 7-8 roster changes. Dallas needs that plus a few more just to fill out their roster. And, do it with limited cap space.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I agree completely on everything, except the bold. Instead of desperately trying to replace L.P. Ladouceur, we should be desperately trying to do whatever it takes to get him to keep honoring our team with his greatness. I am all for L.P. being the first active player to go into the ROH.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: