Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How radical are you willing to go?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: How radical are you willing to go? Reply with quote

Judging by many of the posts I have been reading and the atrocity that has been our defense this preseason, if things should play out that this defense is truly that bad, how radical are you willing to go to get some REAL players in here so that in 3 years we may actually have a solid defensive front to match our young and stout O line?

Before you answer consider this:

1. IMO, we will never be able to build a quality defense in enough time to be ready to contribute while our O line is in its prime, which I believe will be in the next 3-5years.

2. Our history of trading away draft picks to move up has really hamstrung our defense in the depth department and stunted their ability to get enough players that can contribute (blue collar guys) in lieu of the super star player (Mo Claiborne, D. Lawrene-not really fair but percentage is on my side, S. Lee)

3. This is Romo's tell-tale year. If he can come out and be as productive as years past AND stay healthy, my guess is he will be here another 2 more years and still be productive. On the other hand, if he is not as productive or is showing signs of aging, where does that put him in the next 2 years?

4. Same story for Witten, the guy isn't getting any younger and if my estimation is correct about our O line being solid and in their prime in 3-5 years, Witten's days as a Cowboy will be numbered if not over.

So, here we sit with something EVERY team desperately desires, a young, healthy solid O line that should be around at least another 3-5 years AND be dominant in that time.

No defense to speak of, an aging QB coming off of 2 back surgeries, our Iron Man TE getting wayyy up there, and a stud WR that is now hitting his prime. Hmmmmmmmmm

If you are eyeballing the future, and you want to get what you need to compete and not waste the talent you aquired on the O line, then you need to make some very radical decisions.

And here.....we.....go:

Would you be willing to trade a player like Dez Bryant, and what would you be asking for him, in order to aquire enough ammo to manipulate the draft so that you can get the same type of quality on the D line as you have on the O line AND possibly pick up a QB for our future?

What else would you be willing to do to fill our many gaps so we have an actual competitor in 3 years time from now?
JWingate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually believe this offense is very young outside of 2 players on that side of the ball, they might be key players, but if we can fill their roles then we will be looking very, very good in a few years

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't go shopping Dez. Having said that, if someone is going to come and ask about him, I would entertain it. I don't believe in "untouchable", only "very difficult to obtain". It would take quite the trade offer for me to consider moving him.

As for the price, I don't really know to be honest. It's not everyday that you see franchise pieces moved. Let's look at what the Vikings got for Percy Harvin. They received a 1st, 7th, and future 3rd. Dez, IMO, should fetch more than that. Jared Allen was moved for a 1st and two 3rds, but he was just tagged and wanted out of KC.

To be honest, I don't know if there is a team out there that would part with the assets it would take to get Dez. At least, what the Cowboys would likely demand for him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily trade Dez...but I would consider trading a future 1st in order to get another 1st rounder next year to further bolster the defense...

^^^mack
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't go shopping Dez. Having said that, if someone is going to come and ask about him, I would entertain it. I don't believe in "untouchable", only "very difficult to obtain". It would take quite the trade offer for me to consider moving him.

As for the price, I don't really know to be honest. It's not everyday that you see franchise pieces moved. Let's look at what the Vikings got for Percy Harvin. They received a 1st, 7th, and future 3rd. Dez, IMO, should fetch more than that. Jared Allen was moved for a 1st and two 3rds, but he was just tagged and wanted out of KC.

To be honest, I don't know if there is a team out there that would part with the assets it would take to get Dez. At least, what the Cowboys would likely demand for him.

I would trade Dez if Cleveland offers us a 1st in 2015, a 1st in 2016, and Jabaal Sheard. Why they could possibly do it? If Gordon is suspended for the season. They have Buffalo's 1st next year in addition to theirs. They have Mingo and Kruger at OLB. The coach and the front office staff can't plan for the future, as Cleveland overhauls the front office and head coach every 1-2 years. May be dreaming, but I'd love that trade.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I would trade Dez if Cleveland offers us a 1st in 2015, a 1st in 2016, and Jabaal Sheard. Why they could possibly do it? If Gordon is suspended for the season. They have Buffalo's 1st next year in addition to theirs. They have Mingo and Kruger at OLB. The coach and the front office staff can't plan for the future, as Cleveland overhauls the front office and head coach every 1-2 years. May be dreaming, but I'd love that trade.

I agree, I'd probably take that. Likely a top 10 pick in 2015, another 1st, and a solid pass rusher. Plus, you don't shell out the money it would take to retain Dez. Would definitely be interesting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never say never but it would take a Herschel Walker type of offer to get me to move Dez. Even then, we don't have a Jimmie Johnson to max the bounty of picks so I don't know if we would benefit from moving our best asset.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I would never trade Dez.

We have been asking for a leader with fire for the better part of a decade and now we have a leader who will lead and i wouldnt get rid of him for anything.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
Superfluous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to get multiple first round picks (3+) and a great player to trade Dez. Why would you give him up for two first round picks, when they could easily end up being Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins when you have a superstar in Dez Bryant? No way.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be *Really* hard to trade Dez. But I would do it for a H Walker type deal. I would want 5+ top 100 picks.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a talent like Dez, the deal would have to be substantial.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysmyboy31 wrote:

I wonder if the Rams and Boys could facilitate a trade, considering how loaded we are on defense and your need for that exactly...obviously with the inclusion of draft picks...I just wouldn't even know where to start or what to begin to offer for a guy like Dez.
Cowboys31

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
roysmyboy31 wrote:

I wonder if the Rams and Boys could facilitate a trade, considering how loaded we are on defense and your need for that exactly...obviously with the inclusion of draft picks...I just wouldn't even know where to start or what to begin to offer for a guy like Dez.

Robert Quinn would be a good start..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superfluous wrote:
You would have to get multiple first round picks (3+) and a great player to trade Dez. Why would you give him up for two first round picks, when they could easily end up being Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins when you have a superstar in Dez Bryant? No way.

If you want to make illogical arguments, I'm game. We could get Andrew Luck/Aaron Rogers with one, and J.J. Watt with the other, plus we would have Sheard, should we re-sign him, who is better at 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB. Not to mention we wouldn't be crippled by Dez's $13-15mil per year salary for the next 7 years.

Also, when has anyone given up 3+ 1st round picks for anyone other than a qb in the salary cap era?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
roysmyboy31 wrote:

I would start with an arm and a leg.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: