Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sturm on The Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes a band of misfits, underachievers and screw ups to work together, get wind of what everyone thinks of them and then turn around and give them all a nice big Sheat burger.

I mean, look at the Iggles last year, 3-5 at the mid point, couldn't score an offensive TD in their own stadium in 2 consecutive weeks, the radio talk show hosts were all saying stuff like: "It's clear the QB of the future is not even on the team" and "We are at least 2 years away from even being a contender."

But then look what happened in the second half of the season, 7-1 and playoff bound.

I agree it dosen't look promising, but for guys like Mo and D Lawrence, players that we gave up a lot for, they have to earn their keep now.

For guys like Melton, Mincey and McClain along with Minter, these guys wanted a shot at redemption, well here it is.

If for nothing else, sheer pride to NOT be as bad as last year should motivate them to do something better than last season.

Wishful thinking? Meh, who knows, it must just be crazy enough to work.

Look at it like this, all of the schemes, defensive coordinators and drafting the way they did for "their guy" in the last 5 years hasn't produced squat, maybe this "thrown together" hodge podge of players is the answer.
atran35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 draft will be very defensive oriented. I can see pretty much every position being upgraded.
atran35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 draft will be very defensive oriented. I can see pretty much every position being upgraded.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dubbed this Defensive squad "Marinelli's Band of Misfits".

That's what I will call them all season.

#marinellisbandofmisfits

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Sometimes it takes a band of misfits, underachievers and screw ups to work together, get wind of what everyone thinks of them and then turn around and give them all a nice big Sheat burger.

I mean, look at the Iggles last year, 3-5 at the mid point, couldn't score an offensive TD in their own stadium in 2 consecutive weeks, the radio talk show hosts were all saying stuff like: "It's clear the QB of the future is not even on the team" and "We are at least 2 years away from even being a contender."

But then look what happened in the second half of the season, 7-1 and playoff bound.

I agree it dosen't look promising, but for guys like Mo and D Lawrence, players that we gave up a lot for, they have to earn their keep now.

For guys like Melton, Mincey and McClain along with Minter, these guys wanted a shot at redemption, well here it is.

If for nothing else, sheer pride to NOT be as bad as last year should motivate them to do something better than last season.

Wishful thinking? Meh, who knows, it must just be crazy enough to work.

Look at it like this, all of the schemes, defensive coordinators and drafting the way they did for "their guy" in the last 5 years hasn't produced squat, maybe this "thrown together" hodge podge of players is the answer.

Who are you and what have you done with Dave? My diatribe is not directed at you Dave, but is simply my feelings in general re our defense.

I think as fans we are all holding out hope that somehow this defense comes together as a serviceable unit. For me the reality of the situation is quite different than the hope I feel as a fan.

I see a defense that will have issues generating consistent pass pressure. They will also struggle against the run. I see what could be one of the worst LB corps in the league. I see a CB suspended for 4 games. I see two other CB's struggling; one to capture his form of the past and one to live up to the expectations of being evaluated as the best defender in the draft by the Cowboys the year he was drafted. I still see big questions at Safety.

Every club hopes that they have found a diamond in the rough via the free agent market, low round draft pick or waiver wire. But there are reasons why these guys find themselves in those positions. They aren't that good. For every George Selvie who exceeds expectations, you have a Ben Bass who gets hyped as a strong rotational guy who then gets traded away for some DB who probably won't make it anyway.

It's going to be a long year on the defensive side of the ball. I am simply hoping that some young player, or players establish themselves and give us a reason to look positively into upcoming seasons because I think this year is going to be painful.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have been thinking much the same. Dave has been abducted. File a missing persons report.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that somebody hijacked Dave's account and changed his password. I'm half expecting Dave to show up under the username "The Real Rtnldave."

plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sturm didn't need to provide a breakdown. The article literally could've read:

"It's effing horrible."

The end

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Superfluous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide blitz every play.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Sturm didn't need to provide a breakdown. The article literally could've read:

"It's effing horrible."

The end

Plan I laughed out loud when I read your post. Well played.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
TheStarStillShines wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
TheStarStillShines wrote:
Remember when people were saying the transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 would be seamless.

By "people" I think you mean Jerry and Jason?

Nope, posters here. Many also said how Ware would be a dominate DE and ignored the constant pounding he would take. And let's not forget the absence of any true run-stuff DTs on the roster a year ago.

TSS is right.

I still miss the 34. Sad

I miss Rob Ryan, the Cowboys really did him wrong. Two years ago, the Boys had a top 10 defense before all of the injuries struck; then the Josh Brown incident happened. Between JG icing his own kicker, suspect play calling and refusal to run the ball, a case could be made that JG should've been fired and RR should be here right now.

Bruce Carter, Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr all suffered from the switch to the 4-3. They would flourish in Rob's blitzing 3-4.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with all of this being said, there's no way this defense can be worst than last year's record setting one. The coaches who were responsible get fired and the new ones usually turn it around. If this defense doesn't and matches last season, it will be some kind of NFL record.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the comments and your sense of humor. But I cannot sit here, on the brink of another NFL season, and be filled with nothing but low expectations and dread.

I have watched other teams, year in and year out, rise up and show some heart and make something of themselves.

I listen to the radio shows when I am driving and here things like : "What is going on in Dallas is abysmal."- Brian Balldinger

They (The Iggles and their fans) are totally convinced of their own superiority in the division.

I have to sit here and say to myself, "No, nooooooooooooooooo, IT CAN'T be that bad!"

After you, I, and the rest of the Cowboy nation suffered thru what we witnessed last year of a defense.

I mean, this is the Dallas Cowboys we are talking about. America's Team. A team steeped in glory and tradtion of winning. Has it really come to this, a team with such a rich history fielded the worst defense in history last year and then this year it is going to field one that is EVEN WORSE!!!???

How can this be???? Say it isn't so!!!???

No, I cannot advocate that. Ok, I am living in denial, I will be the first to admit it. But in all honesty, everything else this team tried to do to "plan" for a good defense did not work. Maybe this is the answer?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
I appreciate all of the comments and your sense of humor. But I cannot sit here, on the brink of another NFL season, and be filled with nothing but low expectations and dread.

I have watched other teams, year in and year out, rise up and show some heart and make something of themselves.

I listen to the radio shows when I am driving and here things like : "What is going on in Dallas is abysmal."- Brian Balldinger

They (The Iggles and their fans) are totally convinced of their own superiority in the division.

I have to sit here and say to myself, "No, nooooooooooooooooo, IT CAN'T be that bad!"

After you, I, and the rest of the Cowboy nation suffered thru what we witnessed last year of a defense.

I mean, this is the Dallas Cowboys we are talking about. America's Team. A team steeped in glory and tradtion of winning. Has it really come to this, a team with such a rich history fielded the worst defense in history last year and then this year it is going to field one that is EVEN WORSE!!!???

How can this be???? Say it isn't so!!!???

No, I cannot advocate that. Ok, I am living in denial, I will be the first to admit it. But in all honesty, everything else this team tried to do to "plan" for a good defense did not work. Maybe this is the answer?

Just as long as you understand that living in denial is not rational, we're good. how about this for new user name: Dnldave?

buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
Even with all of this being said, there's no way this defense can be worst than last year's record setting one. The coaches who were responsible get fired and the new ones usually turn it around. If this defense doesn't and matches last season, it will be some kind of NFL record.

Thought they kept all the coaches from last year except Rod became DC and Kiffen became a consultant.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: