Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sturm on The Defense
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Sturm on The Defense Reply with quote

A good read by Sturm on the current state of the Cowboys defense. Not for the faint of heart. Give it a read.

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/2014/08/how-bad-is-cowboys-defense.html
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take a monumental effort and a huge stroke of luck for this defense to be any better or even as good as last season's.

Just no two ways around it. So many question marks and so many young players that simply have to develop ahead of the curve. Simply can't see how it's even remotely feasible.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
It's going to take a monumental effort and a huge stroke of luck for this defense to be any better or even as good as last season's.

Just no two ways around it. So many question marks and so many young players that simply have to develop ahead of the curve. Simply can't see how it's even remotely feasible.

I'm in agreement with you. This defense is going to be awful. They are going to give up yards and points. The only hope I see is if they somehow become a turnover producing unit. But they will have to force turnovers at a record pace to offset how bad they are going to be. Don't see it happening.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:

Disagree. IF we stay remotely healthy we will be at least as good as last year.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Great. IF we stay healthy we can look forward to having one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

It's going to be bad, no doubt. This is year is all about rotations and player combinations. And, the main thing will be to create TOs. My expectations are low. I think the best thing we can hope for is progress by the end of the year.

WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take a perfect sotrm of events, imo. By my guess of the two-deeps, there will be no less than half of them with big question marks above their heads.
Crawford, Wilson (until D-Law comes back), Coleman and/or Bishop, every LB on the roster (6-7), Mo, and then every safety, minus Church (4). Not to mention whether Carr rebounds and Melton is close to his former self.

Just looks like a whole lot to ask for.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our coaches learn ball control then our defense will be much better than last year, if not we will be the worst D in the history of the NFL.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboyfanin2890 wrote:
If our coaches learn ball control then our defense will be much better than last year, if not we will be the worst D in the history of the NFL.

What he said!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been epically bad for 2 years now even with all that talent we are now supposedly missing. Im not going to jump off a bridge yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Great. IF we stay healthy we can look forward to having one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

It's going to be bad, no doubt. This is year is all about rotations and player combinations. And, the main thing will be to create TOs. My expectations are low. I think the best thing we can hope for is progress by the end of the year.

Agreed. Maybe guys like Claiborne, Wilcox, Wilber, Hitchens, Lawrence, Crawford, and others can progress as players and settle into their roles on defense throughout the year and especially towards the end of it. Maybe some of those guys and others can establish themselves as long term pieces, star or role player or anywhere in between.

But I feel that a defense effectively as bad or worse than last year's is a given.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when people were saying the transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 would be seamless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Remember when people were saying the transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 would be seamless.

By "people" I think you mean Jerry and Jason?

Northland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboyfanin2890 wrote:

I thought the same thing about ball control and running the ball to control the clock and keep our defense off the field. The problem is when our defense is on the field they are going to give up points. Our offense is going to be forced to throw the ball to keep up. It's a nasty scenario.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Nope, posters here. Many also said how Ware would be a dominate DE and ignored the constant pounding he would take. And let's not forget the absence of any true run-stuff DTs on the roster a year ago.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Nope, posters here. Many also said how Ware would be a dominate DE and ignored the constant pounding he would take. And let's not forget the absence of any true run-stuff DTs on the roster a year ago.

TSS is right.

I still miss the 34. Sad

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: