Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Preseason week 2 discussion thread - DEN @ SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
Honestly, I think it's a lot more simple than greed. Alex Boone outplayed his contract. However, the 49ers have made it very clear that they will not indulge and they do not respect Hold outs. If you do that, you're putting yourself above the Team. Look at how Dorsey, Kap and possibly Crabs(irony) have all handled this in house and let the agents do the renegotiation during the season. Boones camp has handled this in the worst possible way.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. He is definitely worth more than he's making right now. But, it is being handled poorly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
After all it's all about money.

How's that? It's all about the money? JFC, is this what football players are all about nowadays? No more love of the game? Just can't be happy making 4 mil a year vs 8 mil a year? I really don't belong in this new world much longer, do I....

I'm just sayin what it is, not that I like it. I have no idea why some guys would fight for $10 million a year instead of 8 or 9. I don't know what I'd even do with that kind of money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

How's that? It's all about the money? JFC, is this what football players are all about nowadays? No more love of the game? Just can't be happy making 4 mil a year vs 8 mil a year? I really don't belong in this new world much longer, do I....

I'm just sayin what it is, not that I like it. I have no idea why some guys would fight for $10 million a year instead of 8 or 9. I don't know what I'd even do with that kind of money.

That, right there, is why fans hate this kind of stuff. It's hard to feel bad for someone who makes more in one year than many of us will ever make in a lifetime. I mean, think about it. If you worked for 50 years, at a really decent wage of 100,000k a year, you'd make five million in your lifetime. Most of us don't make 100,000k a year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning said there is nothing impressive about the SF game since they didn't have Smith/Willis and played vanilla defense without blitzing once.

I just didn't like the few mishaps we had in the back end with receivers running free down the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I havent been able to think out loud on here after week 2.

Im still unimpressed by Chris Borland. A lot of it I think has to do with the fact that the O line is getting to the second level and getting hands on the LB's. He has talent it is evident, but he hasnt shown me much to prove he is ready to fill in for Bowman.

Jimmy Ward seemd to always be around the plsy. He is a tick behind the play, but he should be a good one. I expect him to frustrate me early in the season as he goes through the learning process.

Carradine and Dial are still impressive, but they didnt stand out as much this week.

Purcell is just not a player. I cant stand watching him get driven off the los on nearly every play. Was it him that Tim Ryan said was pushed back on a pass play?

Acker had a very nice showing. Hopefully he can add to it this weekend.

Ellington continues to show that he is going to make an impact in some way. He made a cut on a kick return that was just devastating. I worry about his size a little.

This team is in trouble at the QB position after Kaep. I didnt think it was possible to be any more mediocre then Colt McCoy and Gabbert is. Josh Johnson as our backup is not a good thing. There is a reason why the staff hasnt trusted him to be the backup in the past.

Overall, what a boring preseason. I just want it to be over. Im tired of seeing guys go down and seeing mediocre play out of guys who I will barely see on the field. Usually I have more of a tolerance with this stuff, but this year Im over it.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Peyton Manning said there is nothing impressive about the SF game since they didn't have Smith/Willis and played vanilla defense without blitzing once.

I just didn't like the few mishaps we had in the back end with receivers running free down the middle.

Might be some decent talent with our young LBs, but they sure had a bunch of miscommunication out there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the presence of Willis should fix most of that. There are plays where guys simply don't know their assignments. As for the secondary, Whitner was great in getting everyone to their spots. Could Bethea or Reid fill that void? That is one of the biggest reasons we allowed so few big plays.

Clarkfn2284, I agree with nearly everything you said. I thought Purcell actually played pretty well last game but Jerrod-Eddie is the guy I'm disappointed at. This guy flashed some nice talent last year but he's getting manhandled through two games. I wonder if Williams will get the start or if they go in another direction. At least with Williams we are getting a damn good run stuffer.

Acker had a strong week of practice and he carried it over to the game. Unfortunately, we won't be able to stash him to the PS. Johnson got beat twice and had a tough game. On the deep ball he just didn't turn his head fast enough.

I'm with you on Ellington, he seems like a player. Unless we have a few injuries, he won't truly make his mark at WR until year two. That is not to say we can't use him on a few trick plays.

Ward may be a little small, but he's a great tackler for his size. Right now he isn't fully playing with his instincts at CB, but once he gets comfortable that should change.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I think the presence of Willis should fix most of that. There are plays where guys simply don't know their assignments. As for the secondary, Whitner was great in getting everyone to their spots. Could Bethea or Reid fill that void? That is one of the biggest reasons we allowed so few big plays.

Clarkfn2284, I agree with nearly everything you said. I thought Purcell actually played pretty well last game but Jerrod-Eddie is the guy I'm disappointed at. This guy flashed some nice talent last year but he's getting manhandled through two games. I wonder if Williams will get the start or if they go in another direction. At least with Williams we are getting a damn good run stuffer.

Acker had a strong week of practice and he carried it over to the game. Unfortunately, we won't be able to stash him to the PS. Johnson got beat twice and had a tough game. On the deep ball he just didn't turn his head fast enough.

I'm with you on Ellington, he seems like a player. Unless we have a few injuries, he won't truly make his mark at WR until year two. That is not to say we can't use him on a few trick plays.

Ward may be a little small, but he's a great tackler for his size. Right now he isn't fully playing with his instincts at CB, but once he gets comfortable that should change.

With Ellington they need to find a way to get the ball in his hands 3-5 times a game. Jet sweeps, bubble screens, go routes whatever they have to do. He can pop a big play at any moment.

Am I the only one who wants Brandon LLoyd on this team? I know it will be at the expense of one of the best gunners in the game (osgood) and I know it will most likely move Patton and Ellington down the depth chart, but I watch him and I think he has so much to offer to this team.

There are going to be some growing pains with Jimmy Ward. He is going to have to go through them in game situations too. Not everyone is going to be Eric Reid and not struggle a whole lot. As the nickle corner look for teams to pick on Ward and to study his flaws and then to try and exploit them in the game.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not alone in hoping Lloyd makes the team. He showed last Sunday he still could get behind top level CBs.

So frustrating that the ruling on Gordon or Smith has not been made. So when does the league plan on getting this done? We are less than two weeks from the start of the season and Smith needs enough time to appeal the decision.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
No, you are not alone in hoping Lloyd makes the team. He showed last Sunday he still could get behind top level CBs.

So frustrating that the ruling on Gordon or Smith has not been made. So when does the league plan on getting this done? We are less than two weeks from the start of the season and Smith needs enough time to appeal the decision.

Barrows said he expected it on monday.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's fine then, gives Aldon enough time to appeal the decision and have a verdict before the season.

Come on Goodell, two games max!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I guess that's fine then, gives Aldon enough time to appeal the decision and have a verdict before the season.

Come on Goodell, two games max!

If it's 4 or less, I hope Aldon won't appeal. He has done a pretty good job of showing contrition so far, so contesting his suspension would send a mixed signal. If there's an appeal, I hope it comes from the front office (are they allowed to appeal that?), not Aldon himself.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
SO I havent been able to think out loud on here after week 2.

Im still unimpressed by Chris Borland. A lot of it I think has to do with the fact that the O line is getting to the second level and getting hands on the LB's. He has talent it is evident, but he hasnt shown me much to prove he is ready to fill in for Bowman.

Jimmy Ward seemd to always be around the plsy. He is a tick behind the play, but he should be a good one. I expect him to frustrate me early in the season as he goes through the learning process.

Carradine and Dial are still impressive, but they didnt stand out as much this week.

Purcell is just not a player. I cant stand watching him get driven off the los on nearly every play. Was it him that Tim Ryan said was pushed back on a pass play?

Acker had a very nice showing. Hopefully he can add to it this weekend.

Ellington continues to show that he is going to make an impact in some way. He made a cut on a kick return that was just devastating. I worry about his size a little.

This team is in trouble at the QB position after Kaep. I didnt think it was possible to be any more mediocre then Colt McCoy and Gabbert is. Josh Johnson as our backup is not a good thing. There is a reason why the staff hasnt trusted him to be the backup in the past.

Overall, what a boring preseason. I just want it to be over. Im tired of seeing guys go down and seeing mediocre play out of guys who I will barely see on the field. Usually I have more of a tolerance with this stuff, but this year Im over it.

^^^ This echos my sentiment as well. however..

Borland seems to be a sure handed tackler and ILB seems to be one of the easiest positions to transition to in the NFL. However borland has really short legs and isnt quick because of it. He is pretty good at fighting through traffic though and his hand placement seems to be superb so I think in obvious running situations he will be on the field. I just think he is too slow to cover anyone over the middle. I dont expect us to ask him to do this however so I think he will be part of the two men that do a nice job filling the void left by bowman. Bow is great at darting through traffic and stuffing the run, partly because of his elite lateral quickness and I think up the middle is where we will miss him the most. He was our strong side ILB if I am not mistaken. So as long as borland can fill in on running plays and clean up tackles I think he will be a solid contributor on D. I also expect him to be on punt team lol

It seems like we are going to be playing a lot of nickle this year with only one linebacker so we shouldnt expect toooo much of a drop off at ILB simply because whoever is filling in for Bow wont be on the field as much as bow would have been. I am still in favor of him taking as much time as he needs to get back into it. even if borland and willhoite play poorly I wouldnt rush him back.

who doesnt think that Willis will do an awesome job of taking over bow's coverage responsibilities in nickle? seems like one of the things I am most sure about this year. I think he is going to be a turnover machine

I hope Ahmad brooks is getting a few snaps at ILB in practice. hes played that position before and has done very well. I would say we have more quality depth at OLB than we do at ILB with skuta, the lemon, now lynch as well not to mention the sack master himself. It would also allow us to 'get creative' with blitzes up the middle as brooks is an accomplished pass rusher himself. He is one of the few guys on our team who I think have short area quickness that is somewhat comparable with bowman so closing the distance on a QB should be no problem for him.

ward certainly appears to be a keeper. once he gets adjusted and isnt a half step behind like you say, hes going to make some really nice plays for us. growing pains at first, but by the end of the season I feel like he will be playing like a seasoned veteran.

Dial is the guy I have been most pleased/surprised with this preseason. He is really coming along nicely. with his size and length he could be a calias campbell type of player and be a great DE in a 34. seems like he has gotten more reps this preseason than any other DLman. Tank has shown great quickness and awesome feet for such a big man. he is certainly going to be a pass rushing monster up the middle (which is the best place for pressure IMO bc it clogs up running lanes and is harder to sidestep). both of these guys are shaping up to be steals IMO and you have to give tomsula a ton of credit, especially for dial. I had questions about his technique and stamina etc but he has easily surpassed them so far this year.

I agree purcell is not the answer up the middle. He has not played well. Im not sure why he lines up so far off the center on some plays. he was almost 2 yards off of the LOS on a few plays last week. TJE has never been a favorite of mine either, I was pleased with the big plays he made last year in his small amount of snaps but I dont think he will ever be an everydown DLman, especially at nose. Hes not really a nose tackle. The only two noses on the roster are williams and dorsey. both are injured. all the more reason to play some variation of a 4-3:

obvious passing plays:

---mcdonald/lynch - tank - jsmith - aldon
Brooks
------------------------- willis --------------------------ward

Running plays:

--- Mcdonald --dial - jsmith - aldon
brooks --
------borland/willhoite --- willis

aldon would be a great end in a 43 while mcdonald seems to be more of a tweener to me. justin is a tweener as well but hes certainly not quick enough to be an edgerusher although he used to play end in a 43. he has had his best seasons as a 34 end though and I think hes more suited to play DT in a 43.

Im really not sure how mcdonald would do in this spot. I am really confident in our DL this year though, Ill be so pleased when we actually get some sort of rotation going. Ive been asking for it since 2011 and this is the first year where we finally have the talent on the bench to make it happen.

I think you view this as a boring preseason because we have been outscored 57-3. only a select handfull of our backups have played well.

Plaine Crapbert was a terrible trade, as I have been saying since we made it. He isnt accurate enough and is too skiddish to be a good backup qb. as a backup you have be fearless, absolutely fearless. he feels phantom pressure and makes errant throws, he just doesnt look like a natural QB. if he was half a foot shorter, we wouldnt have traded for him. The only reason hes in the NFL is because hes tall and "athletic". I dont want a player like that as my backup QB. I want a gamer, someone who has great field awareness and an instinctual feel for the game that can not be quantified. someone like russell wilson is the perfect backup in my eyes. accurate, studious, can scramble, doesnt turn the ball over too much and is not afraid of the big moment or to take necessary risks. Crapbert has none of these traits and trading for him was a fools errand. purely an ego ploy by harbaugh.

when it comes to backup QBs, harbaugh is like a 6 year old. He always wants the new shiny toy to play with and if he doesnt get it he will whine and scream and hold a grudge until he gets his way. Baalke is like the concerned parent who is tired of wasting money on crappy toys his kids dont play with. "I WANT CAKE NOW! I WANT IT NOW!"

ellington is a stud. what a steal.

GO NINERS
John232

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

xsaMainevent on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: