Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Preseason week 2 discussion thread - DEN @ SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Ataal wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Wow, I'm assuming it was the first half? I remember the Ravens having some long drives but settling for FGs or punting it deep in our territory.

If I remember correctly, one drive took up an entire quarter(maybe a minute or two shy?). I could have sworn it was the third quarter. I'd rewatch it to be sure, but that was a pretty painful game to watch. I don't think I could handle it again. :p

One of the most frustrating games to watch. Yet we were still in it until the 4th quarter.

That chop-block call, though...... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and the weak DPI call on the deep ball which was picked off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Three drives that were all sustained, resulting in one FG, one missed FG, and another 8 play drive. So yes, I'm actually satisfied with that considering the first game we just ran it three straight times in the RZ, and yesterday tried to throw a deep ball to Lloyd.

And where do you get this two quarters of play? Since when is three drives equivalent to two quarters of play?

Fair enough. But for me I'm a whole lot more interested in our ability to score than to move the ball in the middle of the field. Three possessions ending in one FG probably projects out to around 10 points per game. Of course ... ridiculously small sample size, I understand that. Still, I'm not satisfied with what I've seen as you are. That's fine.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
It might be cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I don't see how the team can afford to back down. That's just an open invitation for anyone disatisfied with their contract to hold out. Hurts not to have Boone, but would hurt a whole lot worse if several guys decided to do it in the future.

Agreed. I'd be stubborn and not do anything at just about any cost. However, the team may also recognize that if they don't have a worthy guard to fill in and Kaepernick gets killed, they've effectively sunk the season with Gabbert filling in. First and foremost, this is a business, and business is only worth doing with Kaepernick on the field. If Boone becomes a necessity, that's the only way I see the team cracking (which again, I'd be stubborn, but it's at least understandable). Personally, if we can get away with Looney and our backups, I'd let Boone sit throughout the season, too, and try and get an extra season from him. Make him have to stay under contract even longer. Wouldn't trade him next season either...I'm content to let him waste his career away holding out if that's what he wants to do.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
It might be cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I don't see how the team can afford to back down. That's just an open invitation for anyone disatisfied with their contract to hold out. Hurts not to have Boone, but would hurt a whole lot worse if several guys decided to do it in the future.

Agreed. I'd be stubborn and not do anything at just about any cost. However, the team may also recognize that if they don't have a worthy guard to fill in and Kaepernick gets killed, they've effectively sunk the season with Gabbert filling in. First and foremost, this is a business, and business is only worth doing with Kaepernick on the field. If Boone becomes a necessity, that's the only way I see the team cracking (which again, I'd be stubborn, but it's at least understandable). Personally, if we can get away with Looney and our backups, I'd let Boone sit throughout the season, too, and try and get an extra season from him. Make him have to stay under contract even longer. Wouldn't trade him next season either...I'm content to let him waste his career away holding out if that's what he wants to do.

I don't quite remember who but someone mentioned that Boone shouldn't be holding out because we were one of the few if not the only team that decided to give Boone a shot after he went undrafted. I think he owes us quite a bit for even giving him a chance. Does he deserve to get paid? why yes but show up, play and let the team take care of you.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I don't quite remember who but someone mentioned that Boone shouldn't be holding out because we were one of the few if not the only team that decided to give Boone a shot after he went undrafted. I think he owes us quite a bit for even giving him a chance. Does he deserve to get paid? why yes but show up, play and let the team take care of you.

The funny thing is he "deserved" to be paid more than almost any player I've seen hold out. He played way above the level of what he was being paid. But the team almost always takes care of guys like that and I'm sure with a little quiet negotiation he'd have a new contract by now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the timing of it, really. He was set to make 2.59 mil this year.. which doesn't suck. Next year, he's set to make 1.79 mil.. and I would better agree that this would be the time to demand a nice extension.

I don't know. I really like Boone. I think they should have been able to come to an arrangement that would make both sides happy enough. But if Boone and agent are being unreasonable and looking for a 6+ mil/yr deal? then that's just selfish greed, and I could see the 49ers not wanting to indulge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I hate the timing of it, really. He was set to make 2.59 mil this year.. which doesn't suck. Next year, he's set to make 1.79 mil.. and I would better agree that this would be the time to demand a nice extension.

I don't know. I really like Boone. I think they should have been able to come to an arrangement that would make both sides happy enough. But if Boone and agent are being unreasonable and looking for a 6+ mil/yr deal? then that's just selfish greed, and I could see the 49ers not wanting to indulge.

Is it though? That is just par on course with other above average guards. I know some guard this offseason signed for over 7 million. I mean we could pretty much count out Iupati already since he will demand even more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

Is it though? That is just par on course with other above average guards. I know some guard this offseason signed for over 7 million. I mean we could pretty much count out Iupati already since he will demand even more.

I would say so. You play your butt off for 2.59 mil this year.. and you then demand more the next year instead of settle for a cut in pay of 1.79. Especially on a team that looked out for you when you had nothing.. and a team that has a very good shot at a SB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I get that I was talking about his camp being selfish if he wants more than 6 million.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Oh no, I get that I was talking about his camp being selfish if he wants more than 6 million.

"Selfish"? I don't know about that. After all it's all about money. But with the time left on his contract and the 49ers history of renegotiating and extending guys it certainly seems unreasonable to me. He didn't need to hold out. He just needed to have his agent keep pressing them while he worked his butt off. The team history is recent years has been of rewarding guys that deserve it and not caving to pressure. I think Boone's agent just gave him bad advice here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

"Selfish"? I don't know about that. After all it's all about money. But with the time left on his contract and the 49ers history of renegotiating and extending guys it certainly seems unreasonable to me. He didn't need to hold out. He just needed to have his agent keep pressing them while he worked his butt off. The team history is recent years has been of rewarding guys that deserve it and not caving to pressure. I think Boone's agent just gave him bad advice here.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I'm saying he ISN'T selfish for wanting more than six million per year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the game again, I'd really like to see Marcus Martin get some snaps with the 1st string OLine on Sunday. I really liked the way he looked, and I don't even know if he's 100% yet.

Also... Jewel Hampton is still terrible, Darryl Morris is a disappointment, and Bruce Ellington is always open.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
After all it's all about money.

How's that? It's all about the money? JFC, is this what football players are all about nowadays? No more love of the game? Just can't be happy making 4 mil a year vs 8 mil a year? I really don't belong in this new world much longer, do I....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it's a lot more simple than greed. Alex Boone outplayed his contract. However, the 49ers have made it very clear that they will not indulge and they do not respect Hold outs. If you do that, you're putting yourself above the Team. Look at how Dorsey, Kap and possibly Crabs(irony) have all handled this in house and let the agents do the renegotiation during the season. Boones camp has handled this in the worst possible way.

xsaMainevent on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: