Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Preseason week 2 discussion thread - DEN @ SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Deeney (@PFF_Jeff) tweeted at 9:29 AM on Mon, Aug 18, 2014:
A nice bounce back game for Jonathan Martin. +1.0 grade, did not allow a QB pressure (hurry, hit, or sack) in 19 pass blocking snaps. #49ers

I stated yesterday he looked good in pass protection. We have been allowing a lot of pressure up the middle in the first two games though.

Does anyone think Boone reports this week?

No. He's gaining leverage the longer our starting line without him looks shaky (Looney has been up and down). Granted, this is watered down preseason, but I would think after Game 3 would be the make or break time for Boone. If we look good for the half against the Chargers, and can look like we'll handle our own without him (assuming Harbaugh is true when he says there won't be experimenting), then it'll put all the leverage on the team's side. If in that game, the first string line looks really weak, or if Iupati or another interior lineman goes down with an injury, then Boone has all the leverage, and I'd expect the team will back down. Can't imagine there being a solution before then unless the team cracks.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
49ersfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So I just read Harbaugh say he won't be experimenting for the game next week. I hope so, play the majority of starters for much of the first half.

Our first string offense is at least sustaining drives opposed to last year where it was a three and out party.

We do face the Chargers later this season. Probably better to still keep it under wraps. But i'd also like to see our first string offense get into a rhythm too. They've only played 3 drives.

I was pleased to see Kaep adjusting and making reads yesterday- especially that one play where he nearly threw it deep but kept it after the DE got his hands up (would have been batted down) and threw a checkdown. Last year, he probably throws it and its a wasted down. This time, we at least get 3-4 yards and keep the ball moving.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Boone reports this week, but I'm at that point where this just needs to get fixed.

Looking at our backup quarterback situation, it's crystal clear we need to protect Kaepernick. I still think the team has all the leverage, but Boone and his agent have to have a ear-to-ear grin right about now. Let's just get this taken care of already.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just sucks Gabbert's deal is guaranteed because we have no choice but to keep him. I'm sure GB will probably only keep two QBs, and we could have had a shot at Tolzien.

Aa for keeping things under wraps for SD, I'm sure we will show very little but the first stringers should still look good. I know everyone is getting sick and tired of seeing the CBs playing soft coverage, but that should change once the regular season begins.

Gore doesn't need to play though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I absolutely love how everyone is overreacting to the two preseason games. Some are even saying SF may start 0-4 Laughing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
By the way, I absolutely love how everyone is overreacting to the two preseason games. Some are even saying SF may start 0-4 Laughing.

0-4 in the preseason, but 19-0 the rest of the way, no problem with that.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Deeney (@PFF_Jeff) tweeted at 9:29 AM on Mon, Aug 18, 2014:
A nice bounce back game for Jonathan Martin. +1.0 grade, did not allow a QB pressure (hurry, hit, or sack) in 19 pass blocking snaps. #49ers

I stated yesterday he looked good in pass protection. We have been allowing a lot of pressure up the middle in the first two games though.

Does anyone think Boone reports this week?

No. He's gaining leverage the longer our starting line without him looks shaky (Looney has been up and down). Granted, this is watered down preseason, but I would think after Game 3 would be the make or break time for Boone. If we look good for the half against the Chargers, and can look like we'll handle our own without him (assuming Harbaugh is true when he says there won't be experimenting), then it'll put all the leverage on the team's side. If in that game, the first string line looks really weak, or if Iupati or another interior lineman goes down with an injury, then Boone has all the leverage, and I'd expect the team will back down. Can't imagine there being a solution before then unless the team cracks.

It might be cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I don't see how the team can afford to back down. That's just an open invitation for anyone disatisfied with their contract to hold out. Hurts not to have Boone, but would hurt a whole lot worse if several guys decided to do it in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So I just read Harbaugh say he won't be experimenting for the game next week. I hope so, play the majority of starters for much of the first half.

Our first string offense is at least sustaining drives opposed to last year where it was a three and out party.

Two quarters of play and one FG to show for it. You have to be a real fan to see the bright side of that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three drives that were all sustained, resulting in one FG, one missed FG, and another 8 play drive. So yes, I'm actually satisfied with that considering the first game we just ran it three straight times in the RZ, and yesterday tried to throw a deep ball to Lloyd.

And where do you get this two quarters of play? Since when is three drives equivalent to two quarters of play?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Three drives that were all sustained, resulting in one FG, one missed FG, and another 8 play drive. So yes, I'm actually satisfied with that considering the first game we just ran it three straight times in the RZ, and yesterday tried to throw a deep ball to Lloyd.

And where do you get this two quarters of play? Since when is three drives equivalent to two quarters of play?

Thanksgiving, 2011. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm assuming it was the first half? I remember the Ravens having some long drives but settling for FGs or punting it deep in our territory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Wow, I'm assuming it was the first half? I remember the Ravens having some long drives but settling for FGs or punting it deep in our territory.

If I remember correctly, one drive took up an entire quarter(maybe a minute or two shy?). I could have sworn it was the third quarter. I'd rewatch it to be sure, but that was a pretty painful game to watch. I don't think I could handle it again. :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More random PFF interesting stats:

- TJE had another bad game according to them. -1.2 against the run, -2.8 overall in 20 snaps (6 against the run).

- Guess they didn't think Dial had too hot a game either. -0.8 against the run, -1.6 against the pass in 56 snaps

- On the flip side they thought Mike Purcell did really well against the run. 3.4 on 19 run snaps.

- Dontae Johnson didn't have a very good game. They had him at giving up 3 catches on 3 attempt for 53 yards and 2 TDs in 22 coverage snaps.

- Kenneth Acker on the other hand gave up 1 catch on 2 attempt for 5 yards and had a PD in 14 coverage snaps.

- We had 6 total QB sacks, hits, hurries the ENTIRE game with zero of those being sacks.

- Dillon Farrell was by far our worst offensive lineman. He had a -4.5 pass block grade in 25 snaps, giving up 4 QB hurries.

- Carter Bykowski and Jonathan Martin both had strong days in pass blocking. Bykowski had a 2.1 grade in 35 pass blocking attempts. Martin had a 1.2 grade in 19 pass blocking attempts.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vincent Frank (@VincentFrankNFL) tweeted at 3:28 PM on Mon, Aug 18, 2014:
31 percent of the 49ers total yards this preseason have come with Kaepernick at QB in his THREE possessions.

How freaking sad is this?

Maybe Gabbert does us a favor and just retires? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

If I remember correctly, one drive took up an entire quarter(maybe a minute or two shy?). I could have sworn it was the third quarter. I'd rewatch it to be sure, but that was a pretty painful game to watch. I don't think I could handle it again. :p

One of the most frustrating games to watch. Yet we were still in it until the 4th quarter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: