Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2 Jets @ Bengals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IK was a sixth round pick. I doubt if much more than ST play was expected when he was drafted.

I would love to see him become a contributor, starter, all pro, etc., but first he has to make the team. I'm guessing we keep 5 OLB/DE. His competition is Coples, Barnes, McIntyre, Pace, Babin, Edds, Reilly, and T. Davis.

Last edited by Rich51 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
sharpy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pretty decent showing last night. Pryor looked awesome. I think our corner situation is abysmal. How can you blame AA. He's covering a top 5 receiver in the NFL. Truth is, I think he has the talent to actually become a decent corner. I worry a little bit about the penalty situation especially with Breno. I love playing with a mean streak but he is known for taking stupid personal fouls. I guess you have to let him play his game but I worry his emotions can get us in trouble. Time for a sit down in my opinion!
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 guys stood out to me watching the game.
1. Chris Johnson: he ran the ball great, picked his spots to try and bounce it outside.
2. Bilal Powell: same as CJ ran the ball great. Really is showing he needs touches with CJ and Ivory. I wanna go back and watch the game and see the OLine pairings when we ran affectively.
3. Calvin Pryor: if he can play all season like what I saw yesterday, we have a dynamic player on our hands. Honestly he looked like a young polamalu out there.
4. Jace Amaro: he played very well. Wish we threw to him more bc he was open a lot. But he did have a few nice catches, and blocked better than expected.
5. Brandon Dixon: not sure if you guts noticed but he was blanketing the reveivers he was covering. He's raw but looked like our best CB yesterday. Given it was against backups. But fact is, when he played he payed well.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Dixon did look pretty good. Would like to see him and Walls in rotation more. I want to see more Patrick and bring out Lewis to see what they can do.

I know it was Allen's first time & vs a top WR, but his techniue was horrible. He would have gotten torched by any WR in the league with the tech he displayed. Can't throw his whole body into Jams like that. AA was beat every time Green hit the 10 yard mark. Even on the Manu TD, AA wasn't even close. I love AA, so I hope this was just a fluke and that he can improve his hips and keep up with the WRs. He'll likely be given another chance unless Idzik get his hands on another CB to try out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK if Dixon knows the defense but I was definitely impressed by him. I think the rookies and the OL stood out the most to me.

And Geno's decision making is lightning quick compared to last season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone go to the game and get a closer look at Antonio Allen? Sometimes it's difficult to see how corners play on TV alone
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Did anyone go to the game and get a closer look at Antonio Allen? Sometimes it's difficult to see how corners play on TV alone

Just saw on TV .. but he Didn't seem to comfortable at Corner to me ... but he's not used to playing at the line so should be expected ... overall though didn't look worse then patterson week 1... and the one he got beat (and completed on) by Green was a clear push off by Green
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Football Focus wrote:
Jets rookie SS Calvin Pryor was all over the field last night, 49 snaps, +5.5 overall, +3.3 of which came as a pass rusher. Active debut.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know, our first team defense was without our starting secondary and playing very vanilla.

The most important person in our secondary is Dee Milliner, he has to get healthy and be our #1 CB. If he can do that we can survive.

Calvin Pryor is our best safety, he will be a immediate impact. Some players just get it, I think hes one. He has the football instincts.

Antonio Allen shouldn't be starting at CB.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples only played 15 snaps Confused
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
Just know, our first team defense was without our starting secondary and playing very vanilla.

The most important person in our secondary is Dee Milliner, he has to get healthy and be our #1 CB. If he can do that we can survive.

Calvin Pryor is our best safety, he will be a immediate impact. Some players just get it, I think hes one. He has the football instincts.

Antonio Allen shouldn't be starting at CB.

Antonio Allen at Safety or in man on a TE is where he should be.

I agree on the Milliner point if we at least have one guy we can reasonably trust to be able to handle man to man roles a high percentage of the time we should be able to scheme for the other deficiency ... its really unfortunate though that we are so weak at the CB position mostly because Idzik was cheap.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly just can't see AA cutting it at CB. He's too slow and his hips just aren't on oar for a CB. He can hold his own against TEs bc obviously they aren't as quick or as fast as WRs. Rex needs to use his players strengths not force them to do stuff they really can't. AA is a safety, keep it that way. Bring in a camp cut or make a trade for a CB. Bc our team would be better with that 3 Safety rotation of Pryor, AA and Landry than losing him to be a below average CB. Just my opinion.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished re-watching.

Geno looked really good to me, though one of the deep attempts to Hill really bothered me. Other than that, he worked through his reads well and was actually super accurate in the short to intermediate game. He hit people in stride with nice looking balls and just looked confident in his throws. He still needs to get rid of the ball a little quicker. On a nice strike to Amaro, he was open and stopped for a solid moment of time before Geno delivered it. Still a completion, but you'd like to see that ball on the money as soon as Amaro makes his stop.

Vick looked fine. No complaints really, but he didn't do anything to threaten Geno or to calm any concerns about his past play.

RBs played well. Chris Johnson still seems to hate contact though, and it's kinda frustrating watching him run out of bounds on the reverse play without even trying to make a move. I get that it is pre-season, but That's just Johnson's game. Powell remains one of my favorite Jets. I hear criticism that he doesn't have great vision and I just don't get that. He always hits his holes quickly and decisively and doesn't go down easy.

Bohanon looked solid in pass protection and just has a better grasp of his assignments than he did last year. I don't see him not being our starting FB.

The only impressive WR was Salas, though Kerley was just fine as well. Hill had a couple good run blocks down the field but wasn't targetted enough to make any impact. Amaro looks a lot more comfortable after looking lost last game. I still think he'll be a non-factor for awhile while he adjusts, but you can see the size and talent at least.

The offensive line...Well, the penalties were aggravating. Colon looked incredibly rusty and just not quick enough to deal with pass rush moves. Gicaomini wasn't too impressive either. I was happy with Aboushi and Colon was still really solid in run blocking. I'd expect those two to be the starters at this point.

Defensively pretty much exactly what was expected. Coples did make a few pass rush moves but they were always too late in the play. I think he looks a lot more like the OLB/DE role this year than last, and we can only hope he continues to progress there. I'm still not impressed with Babin but he's the only "speed" rusher we have (loose use of that term).

Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrisson made a lot of plays in this game. Richardson chased down a TE on a screen play. I had to watch it 3 times, I couldn't believe the big dude caught up.

The DBs were abused early on, but that was to be expected. Allen looked good enough to be an emergency press-cover CB and nothing else. I don't think they really plan on playing him there, they just worked him in so he had experience in case of emergency. I can't recall seeing a ball completed on Lankster.

Happy to see Pryor just look plain fast. He floats around effortlessly and is fearless in blitzing. Pretty excited about him. Rontez Miles and Josh Bush are both excellent tacklers. Good competition there for that last safety spot/special teams.

I came away pretty let down in Jacoby Ford in the return game. If anyone else can make some noise there, I see Ford getting cut in lieu of Greg Salas or a 4th RB.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to judge Vick because the surrounding he has to work with. He takes it easy when the back up oline is out there. I would have liked to see him with Starters, but next game is pretty big.

Aboushi should be a starter a guard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: