Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2 Jets @ Bengals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, NFLN's NFL Total Access showed only Geno's INT and Vick's TD.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
starting front 7 tho.... meh. Not a running league, no one is scared of our 3-4 dline. Especially no one in the first 7 weeks.

You watch the same game? The front 7 was more than fine.

lol this a joke? We got stone walled vs their 1s, like we did last year. Our secondary was bad, yes, but our pressure was non-existant as well.

Considering we had a 3-man rush basically every play, I would say the pass rush was fine. Wilkerson and Richardson both had pressures on the QB and forced Dalton and Scott out of the pocket. Coples was in coverage on most passing downs.

You're not going to get pressure every play when you're rushing three guys against five or six. Especially when the QB isn't having much problem finding open receivers. And often it was not our top 3 in there. We saw a lot more Douzable and Ellis with the first team than we would during a regular season game.

Outside of the deep TD to Sanu, Dalton didn't hold on to the ball for very long.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
starting front 7 tho.... meh. Not a running league, no one is scared of our 3-4 dline. Especially no one in the first 7 weeks.

You watch the same game? The front 7 was more than fine.

lol this a joke? We got stone walled vs their 1s, like we did last year. Our secondary was bad, yes, but our pressure was non-existant as well.

Considering we had a 3-man rush basically every play, I would say the pass rush was fine. Wilkerson and Richardson both had pressures on the QB and forced Dalton and Scott out of the pocket. Coples was in coverage on most passing downs.

You're not going to get pressure every play when you're rushing three guys against five or six. Especially when the QB isn't having much problem finding open receivers. And often it was not our top 3 in there. We saw a lot more Douzable and Ellis with the first team than we would during a regular season game.

Outside of the deep TD to Sanu, Dalton didn't hold on to the ball for very long.

Yes, because Ellis in place of Harrison is such a huge PR downgrade. We saw the same thing last year Green. And the result would have been similar to last year if they didn't pull the starters after Q1. But you can continue to make excuses or reasoning for the lack of pressure.

Was it "preseason play calling" last year vs Cin with the same dline/front 7? I don't know why you stand so fervently by this front-7 when they've proven nothing but the ability to stop the run in a passing league.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, green, we did this dance last week. Not going to make my same points again (and I'm assuming you don't want to make your same points).

Two weeks in a row, the 1st team O vs our 1st D has been pretty awful. Aside from the mis-snap vs Colts, we're looking at likely 3 TDs on 4 drives with some pretty gaudy passing numbers. And thats Luck and Dalton. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Cutler should be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our pass rush wasn't bad last year. It can improve further this year if Coples can take that next step forward. Not to mention, Richardson progressing and Babin serving as a situational pass rusher. We went through times last year where Jermaine Cunningham and Troy Davis were our #3 OLBs. Garrett McIntyre started games for us.

Our front 7 is one of the best in the NFL and we have the best 3-4 defensive line in the league. Wilkerson is elite against the run and the pass. Richardson has the potential to be dynamic against the pass. Harrison can take up double teams and open up space for guys like Coples, Pace, and Babin.

I remember Wilkerson was quiet for most of the preseason last year and people started to speculate that he regressed. We had guys like Chad Henne throw all over our first team defense. David Wilson had a 90+ yard run against our first team defense. Demario Davis looked lost. Look how that turned out.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't questioning how good they are, they are questioning why you say they played good when in fact they didn't, especially when they have an ishload of potential. No pass rush and we were rushing 4 not 3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Our pass rush wasn't bad last year. It can improve further this year if Coples can take that next step forward. Not to mention, Richardson progressing and Babin serving as a situational pass rusher. We went through times last year where Jermaine Cunningham and Troy Davis were our #3 OLBs. Garrett McIntyre started games for us.

Our front 7 is one of the best in the NFL and we have the best 3-4 defensive line in the league. Wilkerson is elite against the run and the pass. Richardson has the potential to be dynamic against the pass. Harrison can take up double teams and open up space for guys like Coples, Pace, and Babin.

I remember Wilkerson was quiet for most of the preseason last year and people started to speculate that he regressed. Look how that turned out.

As of right now, I disagree. We have the potential and the foundation for a great front 7. Without that REAL dynamic OLB, we are not much. Next draft would be a wonderful time to bring in an edge guy. IK looks like with some development he could be good, I hope he pans out. He excites me, albeit vs 2nd/3rd teamers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
We aren't questioning how good they are, they are questioning why you say they played good when in fact they didn't, especially when they have an ishload of potential. No pass rush and we were rushing 4 not 3.

Coples was in coverage more often than not.

Wilkerson and Richardson both had pressures on the QB. Richardson forced Dalton out of the pocket on a play he ultimately scrambled for 7 yards on. Wilkerson had a pressure on Scott that would have been a sack if not for Scott's speed which is really good for a QB. Harrison we all know is not a pass rusher.

Coverage aside, not really sure which starters in the front 7 didn't perform up to standards. I didn't see Pace really making any plays, but I'm not sure how long he was on the field for.
green24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:

I remember Wilkerson was quiet for most of the preseason last year and people started to speculate that he regressed. Look how that turned out.

As of right now, I disagree. We have the potential and the foundation for a great front 7. Without that REAL dynamic OLB, we are not much. Next draft would be a wonderful time to bring in an edge guy. IK looks like with some development he could be good, I hope he pans out. He excites me, albeit vs 2nd/3rd teamers.

Our front 7 performed like one of the top front 7s last year. Our defensive line performed like the best in the league.
green24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, Ras-I Dowling left the game early with an injury.
green24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of the injured guys (McDougle and Evans) and Tajh Boyd, this rookie class is pretty impressive.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First team defense got beat up pretty bad. We looked like a team that was fielding a depleted secondary. You can't expect much more when your top-3 CBs are out.

Maybe the script is flipped now and the Bengals just do well against us. Back when Rex first started here it was the opposite.

I liked what I saw from then first team offense though. Geno went through his progressions well, and he threw a lot of good balls. I think it's 50/50 him and Nelson on the pick. Put Decker and Cumberland out there and I think we have an even better showing.

Pryor is the real deal. He plays so fast it's crazy. I'm pumped about him. I'm just not sure who's playing next to him. We have a team full of SSs again.

I hope IK makes the team. He is always doing something productive. Some guys just have a knack for it.

Funny how as preseason goes on I'm more confident in the offense and less confident in the defense. You can't scheme your way out of this kind of talent deficiency in the secondary. Until Milliner comes back we're in deep poop.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
green24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=548565

Wow. The IK pick was universally hated.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I'll be the 1st to admit, it looks like I was way off on what I thought about IK. Wasn't a fan of the pick, and he's proving me wrong. The thing I liked the least about him is the quality he uses to his advantage. His size. I thought he was too short. He uses his height as an advantage to get lower than the lineman. We all know whoever is lower wins normally. I hope he can keep this up.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like our secondary

Props to CalhounLambeau on the Sig/Avy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: