Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Game #2 Bills @ Steelers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many series does Ben play?
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
5 or more
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

stillersenat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Preseason Game #2 Bills @ Steelers Reply with quote

Preseason Game #2

Vs.

Where:

When:

AUG 16 7:30PM EDT

Bills Draft:

Round 1, Pick 4: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Round 2, Pick 44: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Round 3, Pick 73: Preston Brown, LB, Louisville
Round 4, Pick 109: Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
Round 5, Pick 153: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Round 7, Pick 221: Randell Johnson, LB, Florida Atlantic
Round 7, Pick 237: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (FL)

I asked BigBillsFan13 about the latest happenings in Buffalo:

How was your draft? Any steals? Did all your needs get met?

As far as this year's draft is concerned, overall I liked it. Obviously Sammy Watkins is a fantastic playmaker, and should be an outstanding asset for us going forward, bit I think we did well in the later rounds as well. We addressed our OL issues with Kouandjio in the 2nd, but my favorite OL picks were Cyril Richardson in the 5th, and Seantrel Henderson in the 7th, both guys I believe had 1st or 2nd round talent. If those 2 guys can live up to their potential, we could have an extremely talented (and young) OL moving forward.

My issue lies in the fact that we traded away next year's 1st to move up for Sammy. I don't expect to be making a playoff run anytime soon - definitely not this year - and that 1st next year will probably still be a top 10-12 pick at worst. I get that we needed a playmaker, and an impact player (and Watkins is both), but we also need to keep the future in mind.

I also wasn't thrilled with the pick of ILB Preston Brown with Borland still on the board, and I would have preferred to add a TE (Niklas in the 2nd over Kouandjio).

Overall though, this year's draft was successful. Richardson in the 5th, and Henderson in the 7th could turn out to be incredible steals.

How about FA? Lose any players? Sign anyone of interest?

We seem to lose players in FA every year, and usually our top guys. Our biggest loss by far this year was FS Jairus Byrd. He's a top 4 or 5 FS, and still very young. As seems to be our fate, we draft guys, they play well for us for a few years, then leave for greener pastures. Byrd, Andy Levitre, Whitner, Poz, just to name a few recent ones.

Aside from losing Byrd in FA, we traded away Stevie Johnson, our top WR, and the only WR in Bills history to have 3 straight 1,000 yd seasons. That trade didn't make much sense to me then (and still doesn't!) but there have a number of moves over the years that I haven't understood. I thought WR would be a big strength for us, with Stevie, Sammy, and Robert Woods as our top 3, but now we have a mostly unproven (Watkins) or inconsistent (Mike Williams) WR corps.

Speaking of Williams, hopefully bringing him in wasn't a complete waste. If he can get his head on straight, and play to his potential, he could play a big role in our offense.

Our biggest addition has to be MLB Brandon Spikes. Bringing him in kicked Kiko to OLB, which is a great spot and natural fit for him. For about 10 minutes our LB group looked to be a big strength, but then we lost Kiko for the year. In any case, the addition of Spikes will be a big help to our run defense going forward, and when we get Alonso back next year we should be solid at LB.

How is the QB situation? I thought Fitz would be there to stay.

Our QB situation is shaky. I wasn't a huge fan of drafting Manuel, but hopefully he can prove me wrong. By all accounts he's making good progress, so hopefully he can take advantage of the playmakers he has around him (Watkins, Spiller, Woods) and take the next step. The OL additions should help a lot, as well as the lack of a top notch backup - meaning there will be no QB controversy, and he isn't in danger of losing his job.

After EJ, it gets murky. Bills fans seem to be split on who is the better backup, Lewis or Tuel. Lewis played well last year, but honestly I don't see either as a long term solution if Manuel gets hurt again. I was hoping to draft Aaron Murray in the mid-later rounds to back up EJ, as I see him as being better than either of our current backups, but it is what it is.

Where is the strength of your team?

Our strength undoubtedly lies in our DL. If Kiko was healthy, I'd say our front 7 was our strength, but without him our LB corps is above average, not great. Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcell Dareus are among the best trios in the NFL, add in Jerry Hughes who had a good year last year, and we are looking at one of the top overall D-Lines in the league. I'm just hoping that last year wasn't a fluke for Hughes, but bringing in Jim Schwartz as our DC should help utilize Hughes to his best.

There are also a couple other possible strengths. If Mike Williams pans out, WR could be a strength, and if our OL additions play to their abilities, they might be the best group on our team. Those both remain to be seen though, but our DL has proven to be top notch.

Which player do you expect to have a stellar season?

Honestly, no one. I expect to have a good mix of production from a number of places, but I don't expect anyone to stand out as 'stellar' for us this year. I think our DL will get a bunch of sacks, and our DB's should be fairly solid against the pass. I think Spiller will be a top 10 RB, but I also know that Freddy is still going strong, and will see a fair amount of action as well, limiting what Spiller produces.

If I had to pick one guy that I think will stand out for us, I'd have to go with Robert Woods. He seemed to be Manuel's favorite target last year, and they have good chemistry together. With the additions of Watkins and Williams that defenses will have to think about, it could open up a lot of opportunities for Woods, who was one of my favorite picks for us recently.

Finally- predict your season record.

I think we're looking at another losing season. We upgraded positions like WR and LB, then immediately brought them back to neutral with the loss of Kiko and the trade of Stevie. Our QB situation is still an unknown.

I'd say 6-10 or 7-9 is a realistic expectation for us this year. If we get to 8-8 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again to BigBillsFan13.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....

Last edited by stillersenat on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2164026-bills-sammy-watkins-makes-incredible-double-move-for-td-in-practice#articles/2164026-bills-sammy-watkins-makes-incredible-double-move-for-td-in-practice

score 1 for watkins in the joint practice

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, how did Landry Jones look in the first preseason game?

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2164026-bills-sammy-watkins-makes-incredible-double-move-for-td-in-practice#articles/2164026-bills-sammy-watkins-makes-incredible-double-move-for-td-in-practice

It was a clean double move on someone who I could not make out (not Ike or Troy). I wouldn't say it was incredible.

CaptainParker wrote:

CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bleacher Report says it was incredible, it was incredible!

It was actually Cortez Allen in coverage on the Watkins double move.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:

It was a clean double move on someone who I could not make out (not Ike or Troy). I wouldn't say it was incredible.

It was Toler from what I read.

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Out of curiousity, how did Landry Jones look in the first preseason game?

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:

Facebook is trending this but its really not that big of a deal... It was a good double move against a guy who MIGHT make the practice squad...

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's not a big deal, to be fair, Watkins has made several plays against the Steelers in these practices. Some during the actual scrimmages. He did burn Cortez Allen in another instance.

He looks to be legit.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
TommyC376

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck dudes ... no injuries Pray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Brown is still really good.

And Suisham gets a new contract, and goes out and misses chipshots in back-to-back weeks. Yea, it's pre-season. Not much of an excuse for him to be missing kicks. Anyone want to tell me some more how that was a good deal because of his accuracy?
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown showing he's ready for the season.

CaptainParker wrote:

MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
So, Brown is still really good.

And Suisham gets a new contract, and goes out and misses chipshots in back-to-back weeks. Yea, it's pre-season. Not much of an excuse for him to be missing kicks. Anyone want to tell me some more how that was a good deal because of his accuracy?

He may be getting all of his mistakes out of the way, not that it works like that

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
stefan52268

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Brown showing he's ready for the season.

Yes he is

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: