Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

K-Ro's Training Camp Report (8/11/2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: K-Ro's Training Camp Report (8/11/2014) Reply with quote

Hey guys, got here yesterday but missed most of the practice. Of note I saw Colon and Brick eating next to me at dinner. Brick's body is amazing for an offensive lineman. Very lean. Colon was rocking a Rodman jersey looking mean as ever. Also of note during my time here, I was going for a run, and got saluted from Geno Smith in his red maserati.

Practice:

Pros -

Greg Salas completely blew me away today. Caught everything in his sight. Used his body control to make some really tough catches with Dowling playing pretty tough D on him. Looks like he got a lot stronger as well. Definitely more than a slot guy. The most impressive kid at camp, and I'd like to see him start opposite Decker with Kerley in the slot. Has good wheels for a big kid as well.

Jacoby Ford is the real deal. He's a missle man. Was flying around the field, and caught everything thrown his way. Also took a punt return to the house. Very good hands.

Jalen Saunders can ball. Extremely small and gets thrown around when pressed, but in drills he was standing out the way he was breaking out of his cuts. Can definitely do damage with his burst. Really like this kid.

Antonio Allen was spectacular for a kid playing Corner. Always liked his playmaking ability, and you can see he has a knack for turning his head in time. I can't really tell if it was at Corner or a 3rd safety look. Regardless this kid is the real deal and was all over the field.

Ras I Dowling is a BIG dude. When they put Clyde Gates or Campbell on him, Dowling was swalloing them hole. Salas made an unbeliavable grab on him, but regardless Dowling stood out the most out of any Corner.

Geno looked pretty solid. Mot of his throws were right in their chest. The pass rush was giving him fits at times, but that's expected with out defensive line.

Vick looked real good as well. He makes some plays that make you wonder how'd he tie that ball in that seam, and other plays you ask what was he thinking? He's like the Jamal Crawford of the NFL, but regardless he's a great player.

Wildcat with Vick is real. We ran a lot of option plays with Vick tossing the ball to Powell as CJ2K was on a rep limit today. Of note, both Geno and Vick were on the field together today. Vick even completed a pass to Geno at one point. The wildcat is happening with Vick and Geno. Also, a TON of read option plays with Vick.

Quincy Enuwa was pretty impressive as well. Looked very strong with his grabs.

Our defensive line is going to be dominant. Seriously.

Lankster looked pretty impressive as well today.

Simms looks very sharp. Throws a good ball and looks comfortable out there.

Nelson gets thrown around at times despite his height, but he has golden hands.

Negatives:

Amaro looks like a deer in the headlights out there. You can tell he's REALLY nervous.

Stephen Hill is an utter disappointment. I counted 3 catchable balls that he let slip through his hands as well as a few plays he dogged because he knew he wasn't the first or second option on the route. I was able to tell when he was getting the ball when I saw how hard he ran the route. I think Corners can tell as well because I believe 2 of the interceptions happened when Hill was running the route.

Pryor looks invisible out there.

Wilson got burnt a few times by Ford/Saunders. Not a fan of this dude.

Cumberland looks like he knows he has guaranteed money coming the next 3 years. When Vick was in trouble Cumberland almost cost Vick an interception by failing to come inside.

My biggest negative was what plays were ran in the practice. Only 2 or 3 plays were going vertical down the field. A LOT of crossing routes, screens, and ground and pound. At times last year we looked like we were limiting the playbook, and even in the first pre season game I was disappointed with our lack of stretching the field.

[Adopt-a-Jet: Braylon Edwards]
sandwhich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report man, I love hearing from true fans that pay close attention and mot.just beat writers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Thanks for the report man, I love hearing from true fans that pay close attention and mot.just beat writers.

I was actually on assignment from FoxSports/Scout.com

[Adopt-a-Jet: Braylon Edwards]
moham-17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, good write-up.

This just makes me wonder even more why Ras-I isnt getting the nod to go some PT at starting CB.

I will say-even though I don't agree with it- that I'm excited to AA playing CB Thursday night, if the rest of the week goes well for him anyway.

Same for Dowling, I want to see with my own eyes how he's matching up against his assignments, though obviously I'll be limited by what I can see on TV.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Pryor had a sack but couldn't touch Geno obviously.

Very intrigued by Dowling his size and speed makes you scratch your head. Hope he takes advantage of this chance.

Solid write up though. Thanks.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article man. Awesome to hear Salas, Ford, Saunders and Enunwa looking good at WR for us. But disappointed to hear Amaro doing poorly as well as our CBs. Hopefully Dowling can emerge like you said and Milliner is healthy by week 1.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What receivers do you see making the team?
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good write-up.

i agree with you a 100% about them not stretching the field. It was very frustrating watching last week. Actually they stopped throwing the ball downfield after the second NE game. The first 7 games he threw 67 deep balls; the last 9 only 31 (data from pro football reference)

Unless a miracle happens i don't think Hill will be that long ball threat that we wanted so that probably leaves Ford and maybe Saunders as our only deep threats. Hey Marino had his mighty mites Laughing
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Antonio Allen experiment kind of reminds me of the old Marcus Coleman experiment. Coleman ended up being a decent BIG sized corner.
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone really see the AA at CB experiment working out?

I'm hoping like hell it miraculously does; that'd be so cool to find a way to have Pryor, Landry, and Allen all on the field at the same time consistently (though I guess it would've happened anyway if ran alot of that big nickle everyone was talking about).
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:

I'm hoping like hell it miraculously does; that'd be so cool to find a way to have Pryor, Landry, and Allen all on the field at the same time consistently (though I guess it would've happened anyway if ran alot of that big nickle everyone was talking about).

If it does, we will have lucked out. Like others have said, this kinda seems like a Marcus Coleman situation all over again. Even if he does work out at CB, I still kinda hope we sign a vet like Samuel or make a trade before the season starts.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
moham-17 wrote:

If it does, we will have lucked out. Like others have said, this kinda seems like a Marcus Coleman situation all over again. Even if he does work out at CB, I still kinda hope we sign a vet like Samuel or make a trade before the season starts.

Yeah, that's my point. I just don't see this ending well. I hope Dowling is good to go for Saturday so we can see what we have in him.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole AA at CB thing is just an experiment I think right now. Obviously they knew we needed some help at CB with 2 CBs going down and Patterson looking poorly. It's just crazy to me bc I remember the scouting report on AA entering the league was a great tackler in the box safety yet now one of his biggest strengths is now covering, and so much that they experiment him at CB. He could be a great physical CB, but if not I still love him at that safety role.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEs don't always come in and have a immediate impact, actually I think they usually don't. It will probably take time for Jace, it is a big transition. He has the talent, just has to get to the point where he stops thinking and just does.

I think Pryor will make a immediate impact, the coaches seem to be raving about how quickly hes picking things up and teammates all seem to think hes going to be a future all pro.

We need Milliner to get healthy. Losing McDougle hurts, but we can survive as long as Milliner is healthy and being our #1 CB.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex loves those physical CB's so who knows. I wonder if AA fits his style better at CB. He's strong enough to get his hands on these big WR's and keep them from releasing free.

He'll probably struggle with the smaller shifty types though.

Curious to see him on Saturday. I'm not worried though. Milliner will be back (hopefully be week 2), I think Patterson will be ok. Just need one of AA/Dowling/Trufant to step up and we're good.

Props to Mack on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: