Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CB Dee Milliner has a high ankle sprain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still way too early to panic guys. We haven't even played our 2nd preseason game yet.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree somewhat with what people are saying but before this stretch of injuries to the same position we were looking just fine at CB. Other than Milliner it wasn't very star filled but it was deep. Walls, Dowling, Trufant, McDougle, Patterson and Wilson all seem like or have proven to be NFL caliber CB's with guys like Dixon, Reeves and Patrick pushing for a roster spot as well.

When you lose 3 of your top 4 guys at one spot of coarse you'll look bad. Nobody could have foreseen that to happen all at once. I don't believe all this injury prone labels everyone is now saying was inevitable, outside of Patterson.

The truth is Idzik went for the top CB (Davis) and missed out. He added the next best thing in cheap vet (Patterson) and drafted a rookie in the earlier rounds (McDougle). Camp cuts still haven't happened. A vet will pop up to ease the injuries.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 26m
RT @Jeff_McLane Jeremy Maclin continues to toast Darrelle Revis in 1-on-1s. Looked right at us as if to say, "You reporters catch that?"

Props to Mack on the sig
Rich51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking for a silver lining but I do believe that a lot of players never reach their potential because they don't get a chance either due to injuries or the person ahead of them. I hope given this opportunity, Dowling makes the most of it. Dixon is another one that could benefit by these injuries. Sure he's from a small school and will make a lot of mistakes early but if he has good football instincts he might surprise us.

Milliner, Patterson and McDougle all seem to be injury prone so that really only leaves Dowling (history of injuries as well), Dixon and Walls. The other 4 are all nickel or dime options.

I sort of like the idea of Allen and Pryor at safety so I hope they keep him there
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lankster seems to be the only one stepping up given the opportunity
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Lankster seems to be the only one stepping up given the opportunity

He's always been a solid CB for us, if he still performs well I wouldn't be against letting him start and seeing how he fares.

Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, he deserves that opportunity.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
We are going to get shredded with this secondary. I want to be positive, but it's going to happen.

We've all watched Rex's defenses enough the last five years. Teams are simply going to abandon the run and throw their way down field per usual. Except this year we have no Revis, no Cromartie to bail us out.

Cromartie sure bailed us out last year, getting torched all season.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
We are going to get shredded with this secondary. I want to be positive, but it's going to happen.

We've all watched Rex's defenses enough the last five years. Teams are simply going to abandon the run and throw their way down field per usual. Except this year we have no Revis, no Cromartie to bail us out.

I wasn't just referring to last season.

Without any true pass rushers, at least decent CB play is needed. Aside from last year, it was always a position of strength.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Idzik ruined the team OMG we have no Corners and tons of cap space OMG!!!

These forums are too funny and alot of the fans are even funnier.

Not too long ago we had a young QB (Sanchez) with good talent surrounding him on offense. We also had the number 1 defense with the number one CB in all of football at the time, Revis. We went 9-6 both seasons we went to the AFC Championship game and lost both times. We barely made it into the post season both years. Imagine if we had a decent QB for one of those seasons. Tannenbaum played the Free Agency game. Tannenbaum gambled. He mortgaged our future for a Championship and he failed. Why? Because despite having a ton of talent on those teams, including the best Defensive player in football (Revis) we lacked talent at the single most important position, Quarterback. We made the playoffs despite having Sanchez as our QB.

So fast forward to Idzik. Idzik guts the team to fix our horrendous Cap situation. He trades away our best player for a first round pick and 4th rounder. He has added a ton of young talent to our team while keeping us well under the cap. Are we a Superbowl team right now? No, not in my opinion. But, we are an up and coming talented young team.

People on these forums are crying about the 20 to 25 mill in cap space we still have. They wonder why we do not bust the bank on a great corner.

We are not one Corner away from going the Superbowl. We are a few players away from doing anything in the postseason. We still do not know if we have a QB.

Now, I have a feeling alot of guys on this forum do not know that our cap space rolls over next year and the year after that. Why is this important to the Jets. I believe within the next 3 seasons, all teams must spend a minimum of 90% of the accumulated cap space over the next 3 seasons or something to that affect.

So, would it not be in our best interest to save some cap space so when we do feel like we can make a serious run we have the money to buy some Top shelf talent to put us over the top?

Does it not make sense to keep some cap space to sign some of our young up and coming starts like Wilkerson for example?

Right now, the worst thing that could happen to us is our Cornerbacks suck like they did last year. The best thing that can happen for us is not Milliner being healthy and becoming a superstar although it would be nice. The best thing that can happen for us is Geno Smith getting better.
All Geno Smith has to do is become a little better Quarterback than Mark Sanchez. If he does that, we will have a shot at the playoffs not only this year, but for years to come because we will have a young talented team with cap space to play with.

That is Idzik's plan. Give it time.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do 1yr deals affect the future though. If we have 25mill cap space, signing a guy to a 1yr 7mill contract still gives us space and it comes off the books in the offseason.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
How do 1yr deals affect the future though. If we have 25mill cap space, signing a guy to a 1yr 7mill contract still gives us space and it comes off the books in the offseason.

Are you talking about now or earlier in free agency? Which other notable CB else besides Cro signed a one year deal in FA?

Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillman, Thurman, Rodgers.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:

I wasn't just referring to last season.

Without any true pass rushers, at least decent CB play is needed. Aside from last year, it was always a position of strength.

We should have a much better pass rush than those years though. I'm hoping for a Quinton Coples breakout season. Then we have Richardson and Wilkerson inside, and the addition of Jason Babin should help outside.

If Milliner can get healthy, he should have a good season. Our safety play should be better than last season as well.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Tillman, Thurman, Rodgers.

Tillman isn't really a fit in our system. Thurman would have been nice, but he has been a career nickel back so far. Rodgers hasn't been too good lately, probably due to the fact he has gotten older.

Honestly, outside of the big name guys at CB, it was pretty much slim pickings on the FA market. None of those guys would have drastically changed the position for us. Idzik clearly didn't want to overpay for a CB, hence why he played hardball with DRC. Yeah, it sucks now that we lost one depth CB for the year, and the only true starter (while unproven) is out the first 1 or 2 games, but there's really no answer out there. It's a position of need that we will have to fill next offseason. I'm just hoping we are able to get Dee back soon and able to have someone lock down that #2 spot for this season. If no one on our roster steps up, we will just have to look through the bare FA market again or make a trade.

CB is the only position on the team where the talent has gone backwards. Cro wasn't good last year, but he is more talented than Patterson for sure. Hopefully if our front 7 gets after the QB more, it will mask our CB deficiency.

Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Said Rickjets. It needed to be said.

Cro was horrible last year. Milliner was up and down as all rookies are and his replacement when he was down is still on the team (Walls). We should have improved play around the CB position (Davis improving, Babin and Q adding some pass rush, the safety play looks better with AA coming on). Even with the rash of injuries we still might be better off this year than last year Cro was horrible last year and terrible in run support. Even if we are forced to play Dowling, Trufant or Walls they are all probably better than Cro was last year.

As Rick said we aren't contenders, this is about development. I really hope Geno is the man cause we are setting up to add a boatload of talent in the next year or two with all this money we will be forced to spend. Completely healthy we were far from a playoff lock as it is.

Let's see how this all plays out before we start freaking out. . . . Too late I guess.

Anyone year deal we signed was not going improve the roster over what we already have.

Props to Mack on the sig

Last edited by Rockice_8 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: