Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Boone trade value
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vannzee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Alex Boone trade value Reply with quote

I have been following the Alex Boone saga (if it is a saga closely). I liked him when he was coming out of O$U and I was shocked when he went undrafted but not as shocked with his development.

His hold out is obviously questionable since he has little leverage (if he doesnt play this year, he contract tolls for next year). Now there are reports of teams expressing interest in acquiring him.

Would there be interest in trading him? I would imagine yes because I don't see him willing to end his hold out anytime soon and would prove a point by drawing a line in the sand.

What is his value...? Well, we don't see many player for player NFL trades so I am thinking probably just a draft pick or maybe two. He's good but certainly not worth a first, probably not worth a second, so that leaves you looking at a third or forth from likely a bad team (Jacksonville, Tampa, St. Louis, ect.)

Am I off base on his value here?
Ataal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His versatility ups his value quite a bit, in my opinion. There are a ton of teams that could use him and are in really bad shape at a couple positions. Is he worth a 1st, though? Eh, as we have seen in the NFL, "worth" is a very subjective term. He's worth what a team is willing to give up. I don't see our front office settling for anything less than a second to a team in dire need.

I hope it doesn't come to that, though. I hate that he's holding out, but I want him playing this season. With all the shiny new weapons Kaepernick has at his disposal, it would be a ridiculous shame if he's on his back too often to use those weapons effectively. I'm not entirely up to speed on our depth at the position or how the newbies are doing, but why chance it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is worth a 1st. With that proven, pro experience, he would very likely be better than any 1st round OL in the coming draft. Roughly 2600 snaps over the past 4 years, and he is only 27 years old. He can play anywhere on the line, except center, and he was praised for his intensity and work ethic many times. I always felt his best position is at LT, which is obviously a very important spot.

Teams would have to be willing to pay him well after trading for him though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any way he is worth a first round pick. Trent Richardson was younger and at a more skilled position and he only got a late first back in trade. I can't recall a guard ever being traded for a first or a second. Also, the teams being linked (Tampa, Jacksonville) are all teams on paper that would be picking in the top ten next year most likely even their 2nd rounders would be practically first's so I can't see them parting with those.

Maybe a 2016 2nd rounder...
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is out of the question we may get a 2nd rounder for Boone. There are A LOT of teams that are lacking at that position, and Boone is still a young versatile player.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view Boone as a first rounder simply because he can play and start at LT, RT, LG and RG. His value to the 49ers has to be at least a first rounder because of that. Add in his age and cheap contract and anything less than a 2015 first rounder should be rejected in my opinion.

With that said, im hoping he stops listening to his agent and shows up already as that's the only way he'll get his extension and pay raise.
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given his age, durability, and production to this point, I think a 2nd is fair value. If this was a different situation and he could walk via free agency, we would be getting a 3rd in return for him via a compensatory pick. So I say 2nd or let him sit out.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
clyde_carbon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd rounder is best case scenario. And it'll take a relatively desperate team.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have all the leverage in this situation. If no one is offering us a first, we don't HAVE to trade him for a second. We can just, you know, keep him. Then, either he ends his holdout before his replacement entrenches himself as the new starter, or he misses an entire year of football. We'll see what he feels his value is after a year without playing. And he's cheap, so it's not much of a burden to keep him in the meantime. We have the leverage. If another team wants him, either they give what we want, or they keep looking for an equally talented OL on the market (I'll give you a hint.. there is none).

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Miami49er

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
We have all the leverage in this situation. If no one is offering us a first, we don't HAVE to trade him for a second. We can just, you know, keep him. Then, either he ends his holdout before his replacement entrenches himself as the new starter, or he misses an entire year of football. We'll see what he feels his value is after a year without playing. And he's cheap, so it's not much of a burden to keep him in the meantime. We have the leverage. If another team wants him, either they give what we want, or they keep looking for an equally talented OL on the market (I'll give you a hint.. there is none).
agree with this 100%. this hold out is ridiculous. the 49ers have shown time and again that they take care of players who show up and work. his agent is giving him so bad advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume he will come in eventually. We've always shown we take care of guys and there's no reason for him to think he won't get a better deal from us.

As for trade value, I'd say a second. But I really don't know why we might not be able to get more for him. There are a whole bunch of first round linemen who don't turn out as well as he has already proved he is, and he's still young and could still get better yet. Add the fact that he can play both G and T and I'd think somebody who has a hole in their line might think him worth a first. Future picks are always discounted anyway and since they'd have Boone this year and we wouldn't get the pick till next year that's a future pick and a future first is a lot like a second, depending of course on where in the round it is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think before the preseason ends, we trade him to Tampa Bay for a 2nd. They need a G but he's really a T soooo that's up to them. He wants to be paid like a T, it seems. And we don't really pay the premium for OL around here so he needs to show up for work or GTFO town 'cause this crap is OLD.

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to bleacher report the giants and bucs are interested and willing to send a third for him.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
dan77733

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
According to bleacher report the giants and bucs are interested and willing to send a third for him.

HELL NO!!!!
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:

No way they send him packing for a Third that is a low ball offer. He rated out as a top G last season i know they don't command much trade wise but S.F. would be better off keeping him and ironing this out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: