Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

O-Line..Anyone Home?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHarvey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: O-Line..Anyone Home? Reply with quote

Ok..I get it..it's just the first pre-season game and
ok..I get it..it's too early for Debby Downer...BUT

The first team O-Line was in for the first three offensive series. By my count we had 26 plays.. I admit, I ran to the frig a few times to grab a brew and some zero calorie chicken wings so maybe my count was off a play or two BUT..

we ran the ball 13 times and as best as I can tell the O-line sucked on 7.5 of these plays AND
we threw the ball (or attempted to throw) 13 times and the O-line sucked on 5.5 of these plays..

What's my definition of 'sucked'?

Well, if on a pass play the QB dropped into the pocket and before you can count 'one Mississippi' the QB is running for his life, then that's my definition..

And on running plays if you either (a) make less than 2 yards or (b) make 3 yards in spite of no holes, that;s my definition.

Calm down David, go have another vodka tonic.. but seriously guys, is this the best we got? Lousy blocking on 50% of the plays?
green24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mangold, Brick, and Winters should be good this season. Breno should be at least average, I would hope. Colon is pretty mediocre, but I think Aboushi could start over him.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to take from the first game for me. Colon is recovering, Breno still working on chemistry with others. Aboushi could get some first team reps soon this preseason. A lot is going on. The Giants game is when I can get an idea of what's going on.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
DHarvey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Got my fingers crossed that things come together. Cool
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of us expected us to have a top OLine this year. Honestly I think that's the part of our team that's missing frm those back to back AFCCG IMO. We had a dominant line then. Honestly I'd like to see winters and Aboushi grab the guard spots, to add some youth and future to this line. Hopefully get bounce back top notch seasons from mangold and brick. Giocomini I expect to be average.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Colon is turning into David Harris.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate talking about next season when this one has just started. But, as far as our offensive line goes. It does need an infusion of high quality young talent via the draft next season.

I remember the push the line would make for Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene.

We should have an adequate if unspectacular O-line this year.
TonyMaC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickjets2007 wrote:
I hate talking about next season when this one has just started. But, as far as our offensive line goes. It does need an infusion of high quality young talent via the draft next season.

I remember the push the line would make for Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene.

We should have an adequate if unspectacular O-line this year.

Its about that time to get some young talented prospect in the trenches. A left tackle prospect in the first or second round would be nice, D'brick is good but about to be very expensive and is aging.

this years line will be average. My best hope is that Giacomini and Winters hold up, I'm not concerned about the rest.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we need to look at drafting a Tackle or 2 in the next couple drafts. Or grab one in the draft and grab another in FA.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ready to dump Brick or Mangold. Both can still be above average starters. This year it's about the guards. Need to see Winters and Aboushi grab those spots for the future.

This line should be average if not solid. We were better than given credit for last year. With Geno getting the ball out quick our sack total should be reduced just on that alone and we ran the ball well last year against stacked boxes. Depth is an issue but if healthy I'm not overly concerned.

WR, CB, and OLB still way more of a concern for me.

Props to Mack on the sig
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a capable backup OT. I actually like our depth at OG better this year, now that Aboushi has played pretty well there so far.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only guy on the O line that i'm confident in this year is Mangold. Ferguson might be losing a step and since his game is based on quickness that could be a problem. Colon is a brute but can he stay healthy and penalty free. Giacomini i really don't know anything about. Winters showed some promise at the very end of last year but didn't look good last week. Aboushi has yet to play in regular season game.

I'm hoping that Aboushi, Winters, Freeman, Dozier and Campbell can be our line of the future and that at least Winters and Aboushi contribute this year. However, none of them play LT.

Ferguson scares me. I don't think he's the same player he was a few years ago. I hope he can have a few more solid years, but until i see him play for real, i'll worry.

Regardless of how he plays, i think we need to draft a LT next year and groom him. I know Ben Ijalana is still young, a second round pick and a star at LT at Villanova but he lost his first two years to injuries. I just don't know if he has a future in the league as a starter because of the injury history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: