Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Preseason week 1 discussion thread - SF @ BAL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lot of "rough around the edges" plays last night. But, I'm forcing myself to say, "It's just the first game of preseason. It was the first time, for a lot of guys, to ever play against other NFL-caliber players, outside their own team."

The moment I will get seriously worried is when our roster gets taken all the way down to 53 and a number of our "starters" didn't look good in any of the preseason games. Until then, I'm enjoying watching these guys play their hearts out for a chance to make the final cut.

I think we sometimes forget that certain positions adjust much easier to the NFL than others. Running back, for one. Carlos Hyde looked amazing out there. We can't expect other positions to look like that in the first game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ward/Borland/Carradine all showed some flashes while also making some mistakes. Borland as Fangio stated gets out or position at times, and Carradine is a far better pass rusher at this point than a run stopper. And as for Ward, even though he had inside help, he can't just give that easy of a release to Jones. Ward and Borland both took poor angles on one Taylor scramble. Overall, this was mainly expected from three guys making their debuts.

Dial was just on another level though. He's a better interior pass rusher than I anticipated, and he was stout against the run. I believe by next week he will over take Purcell as the starting NT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, Ward/Borland/Carradine all showed some flashes while also making some mistakes. Borland as Fangio stated gets out or position at times, and Carradine is a far better pass rusher at this point than a run stopper. And as for Ward, even though he had inside help, he can't just give that easy of a release to Jones. Ward and Borland both took poor angles on one Taylor scramble. Overall, this was mainly expected from three guys making their debuts.

Dial was just on another level though. He's a better interior pass rusher than I anticipated, and he was stout against the run. I believe by next week he will over take Purcell as the starting NT.

The only thing that worries me about Dial starting at NT is he is sooooo tall. I'm pretty sure he is like 6'5". I know his play last night showed he was capable against that OL but how man 6'5" NT's do you see in the game today?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Good post clarkfan, and it was a bit discouraging watching Martin and Looney. Both just looked awful, and we may be in trouble if either are asked to play some meaningful minutes. Synder in the NFCCG was awful so I'm hoping Marcus Martin is the real deal. Boone is so valuable as he is able to play both guard and tackle spots, so it would be good to get his situation handled ASAP. Of course, the team won't give him a deal until he reports. I hate to say it, but if Looney struggles in the next few games, our FO may have to give in.

Another +1 for the Martin and Looney comments. Martin looked a bit like a turnstile out there. Some talent for sure, but he's a long way from being an adequate replacement right now. We need to get Boone back in to camp. Too bad he's being such a jerk. The team simply can't be seen as caving to a hold out. If he had come in I suspect he almost certainly would have had his deal re-worked. It gets harder and harder the longer he holds out.

I have high hopes for Marcus Martin. Too bad he got a late start. Not sure whether he's better at G or C. We'll see. If Boone keeps holding out we should get to see him try his hand at G and/or at C with Kilgore moving to G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the quotes below are from Kevin Lynchs' twitter account after re-watching the game.

Quote:
Kevin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 14h
On a Justin Forsett run in the red zone, Lawrence Okoye got pushed 12 yards down field. Not sure I've seen that before.

Quote:
Kevin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 14h
A play after getting pushed back 12 yards, Okoye stands up tackle and makes a play for no gain.

Quote:
Kevin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 13h
#49ers D-line, which did not play a starter, good at pass rushing, but wanting in run defense.

Quote:
Kevin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 13h
Watched all 11 throws of Blaine Gabbert's throws and he looked at his number option every.

Quote:
Kevin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 2h
Watching the third quarter of #49er-#Ravens. DE Quinton Dial had a good game, but sometimes he plays too upright and gets shoved back.

The bold is what worries me about Dial playing the nose. Very tall.

Quote:
#49ers CB Chris Cook playing like the 49ers hoped Nnamdi Asomugha would play last year

Quote:
#49ers linebacker Nick Moody had a hard time working off blocks and spent too much time on the ground.

Quote:
Mike,
I agree Purcell did get pushed around, even early in the game.

Quote:
LB's hard to evaluate b/c d line got pushed around.RT @slam254: @klynch49 what did you think of Skov ? I wasn't impressed

Quote:
evin Lynch @klynch49 ∑ 2h
Rookie DB Dontae Johnson played well. Had tight coverage on intermediate and deep routes and also tackled well

Quote:
WR Chuck Jacobs missed some blocks and dropped a pass and juggled another one. He has ground to make up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
You added he went to his first option and you wanted him to go through his progressions. Well, one of the plays was designed specifically for McDonald on coming across the middle on the bootleg. What exactly did you want him to do on that play? Maybe I misunderstood you, but seemed like yesterday you wanted him to go through his progressions on his two pass attempts.

I would have preferred a couple of five step drops with multiple reads over pounding the ball up the middle, thats all. I hope for the same in the next couple of games. Only so much TC can do for you, he'll need to do it against opposing defenses at some point. He went to his 1st read largely by design it seemed. Jewel Hampton running up the gut should be a staple of the 2nd half when its irrelevant (at least, more so than usual), not the first drive.

This is more of a criticism of Roman than Kaep, at least for last night.

I don't think you should have been mocked (however indirectly), but I agree that for the purposes of game 1 preseason, it is best to give the QB quick one-reads. Keep him safe.. and assess his ability to progress through reads in the weekly practices.. where he won't take hits.

As a fan though... yeah, your desire to see multiple reads is totally understandable.

Partially it's multiple reads, but also partially it's knowing where to look first. Jeff Garcia had the most incredible analysis of the game ending int and why, after looking over the defense, Kap should have been able to tell that Patton (I think that's who was on the other side from Crabs) would be wide open and Crabs would be blanketed.

I heard Kap saying after the game that when he sees single coverage on Crabs he's going to go to him and that if he had it to do over again he'd make the same play. That's what worries me the most. He would rather throw to a guy that is tightly covered by one of the best CBs in the league rather than another receiver that doesn't have a defender within 10 yards of him! Really??? Is that just Kap being stupid, or our staff not being to coach up an adequate passing attack?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny reading how we have a lot of good pass rushers on the DL, but not so good run stoppers. That is basically the opposite from what it has been for years.

I get the concern for Dial's big frame, but he uses his hands well and usually gets good leverage. Now, he will most certainly get stood up at times, but he's more than a solid enough replacement for Dorsey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up by Biderman.

Quote:
Hyde did a nice job picking up C.J. Mosley in a 3rd-down blitz pickup up the middle allowing Blaine Gabbert to hit Johnson right at the marker on the left sideline. Smith hit Johnson hard out of bounds while the 49ers were furiously pushing for a late-hit call. Smith pushed Johnson right into Marcus Lattimore, who hit the deck, but bounced right back up. Johnson had to be restrained by Vernon Davis after the play.
The two teams will have three practices over the weekend, so donít be surprised to read something about Johnson and Smith getting into it. It seems inevitable.

http://sfo.scout.com/story/1431834-tape-never-lies-49ers-ravens?s=69

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Funny reading how we have a lot of good pass rushers on the DL, but not so good run stoppers. That is basically the opposite from what it has been for years.

Here's what's great about that - the guys that are great at stopping the run are guys that will be out there Week 1 (so long as Ian Williams is healthy - he was really good against the run last preseason/first game; Jerrod-Eddie, too). Knowing we have interior linemen that can really get after the passer will be phenomenal when it comes to obvious passing situations and the rotation to keep guys who seemingly have lost a step there (Smith, RayMac). With the way they've been getting push, a 3rd down nickel package with Brooks, Dial, Carradine, and Aldon getting after the QB could be a nightmare for offenses.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but it does put pressure on the starting DL to stay healthy. We can't afford any of them to go down as our run defense will take a big hit. Williams definitely needs to be healthy as he is a stout run stopper. I expect the DL to rotate more than ever this season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some interesting PFF takes... (remember not to take these as gospel

- Quinton Dial had a 4.9 grade in 34 snaps against the run with 5 stops.

- On the flip side, TJE had a -3.4 grade in only 11 snaps against the run. Yikes.

- Iupati, Kilgore, Looney, and Martin all had negative grades. Martin was by far the worst, because I guess they felt he really struggled against the run.

- Ryan Seymour had a 1.5 pass block grade in 25 pass black snaps allowing no hits, hurries, or sacks.

- Dontae Johnson allowed 1 catch for 15 yards on 4 targets

- Chris Cook allowed 0 catches on 3 targets

- Jimmie Ward allowed 1 catch for 12 yards on 2 targets
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised with any of those stats.

Iupati did get destroyed on one 3rd down.

TJE/Purcell were given a negative grade and that's how they performed.

Lemonier had four QB hurries which is good to see, as he will in all likelihood start during Smith's suspension.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Here's what's great about that - the guys that are great at stopping the run are guys that will be out there Week 1 (so long as Ian Williams is healthy - he was really good against the run last preseason/first game; Jerrod-Eddie, too). Knowing we have interior linemen that can really get after the passer will be phenomenal when it comes to obvious passing situations and the rotation to keep guys who seemingly have lost a step there (Smith, RayMac). With the way they've been getting push, a 3rd down nickel package with Brooks, Dial, Carradine, and Aldon getting after the QB could be a nightmare for offenses.

Lemonier will get some snaps in those situations, too. Gets me excited to think about that

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Seymour apparently had the most snaps of any OT last night and didn't give up a single pressure.

Perhaps he will get Martin's snaps at starting RT until Davis is healthy?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Ryan Seymour apparently had the most snaps of any OT last night and didn't give up a single pressure.

Perhaps he will get Martin's snaps at starting RT until Davis is healthy?

Certainly possible, Martin wasn't good at all in the run game. He doesn't bring the physicality the others do on the OL either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: