Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Preseason week 1 discussion thread - SF @ BAL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Agreed with the above two - on top of that the defense was playing without 7 starters, including all of our all-pros. Any team down 7 starters isn't going to fair too well.

Every year, we seem to play our younger guys a lot more (or a lot earlier) than our opponents. Frank Gore has what, 8 preseason carries since Harbaugh has been in place? The staff trusts the veterans to be ready, really.

I read someone complain last night that he wanted to see Kap go through progressions. Well, last night, it wasn't going to happen. You don't want him sitting back there for 4-6 seconds and potentially take a sack. All the plays were chosen in order for Kap not to even get touched. This game was about as irrelevent to our regular season as it comes. This being said, I loved watching Dial play. If he can be half as good against starters as he was against reserves last night, he should still be a force.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that comment of wanting Kap to go through his progressions was pretty comical. He only threw the ball twice and one of them was a designed play for McDonald. On the other he was about to get hit so he quickly got it out to Johnson. The first preseason game isn't about going through progressions, and Harbaugh saw enough after Kap took a solid hit on his first attempt.

How big was the Hyde pick though? Hindsight is 20/20, but we could have potentially gone into the season with Hampton and James as our back ups. Fair to say Gore wouldn't be getting much of a reduced role.

I hope Lattimore gets cleared soon so he gets some preseason work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the progressions. I'm not going to even think about his progressions until week 1 of the regular season. And, we're playing Dallas. Their defense is terribad on paper at this point. So, it may be a great game to ease him into the season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the two early passes to McDonald. That's exactly the kind of thing I want to see from our second TE. Let Vernon take defenses deep and have the other guy get open underneath. Truth is I saw him open underneath a lot last year and Kap either didn't see him or chose to go else where with the ball. We need to be able to add a bunch of high percentage short passes to go with the mid-range passing game we already have.

Last edited by big9erfan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thumbs up for Dial, Carradine and even for Okoye (he's still got a long ways to go but looked way better than I expected). Thumb kind of sideways for Purcell. I still think that the loss of Dorsey could hurt us more than other people seem to think. Would love to see Dial settle in at DE, but for now with Dorsey and Williams out I'm expecting a move for this season to NT where I expect him to beat out Purcell, maybe even by the next game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved what I saw of Ellington! If we have any injuries to WRs Reed looks like a candidate to pick up that last spot (assuming we let Lloyd go). I've read Stevie hasn't looked overly good in camp, but I've seen him over the years and he's good. He has a knack for getting open. Unfortunately, just like Crabs and Boldin (and probably Ellington and Patton, though time will tell) he's more of a short to mid range guy.

We could still use one good burner on this team.

Last edited by big9erfan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved our young d-line guys ... not so much our young lbs. Wilhoite, Skuta, Moody and Borland all showed a little something, but all showed some holes in their game. Was hoping for more from Borland, but he's the youngest of the group and did show some flashes. I'm giving it at least even money he ends up the starter on day 1 of regular season.

Was pleased with the play of the dbs, very happy with Ward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward had a slow start but finished the game well. We have A LOT of speed CB now and more playmakers.

Our starting DL was dreadful. I wasn't too impressed with Purcell, but Dial was great. How the hell did this guy not start in Alabama?

Hopefully next week we see some of Lynch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Right, that comment of wanting Kap to go through his progressions was pretty comical. He only threw the ball twice and one of them was a designed play for McDonald. On the other he was about to get hit so he quickly got it out to Johnson. The first preseason game isn't about going through progressions, and Harbaugh saw enough after Kap took a solid hit on his first attempt.

Its really comical for a fan to want to see if a player improved at all on a glaring flaw?

Its just something i wanted to see, i didn't make a huge deal about it I don't care if we win or lose preseason games, i want to see our individual players perform and improve, especially those who need work. I just wish our coaches had called a couple of five step drops where Kaep could read the field (or dump it off, or throw it away, or whatever the situation on the field required).
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabbert looked like Gabbert......I could see the team cutting him if he does not improve. Especially if Johnson is able to stay consistent. I know he is guaranteed 2.5, but its about keeping the best players possible and I could see the team eating the 2.5.

Hyde looks to be for real. Great vision and deceptive speed. A lot of people compare him to Gore, but I see a guy who runs much more violently and looks for contact. 230lbs is a load to bring down and he has all the tools to be great.

Ellington was nice in the short spurts we saw of him. I would like to see more from him and Patton with the starting unit. Looks to have a solid grasp on the return game and he ahs great burst.

If Vance can give us 3 to 4 grabs a game in space this offense could be deadly. He has the ability to get up the field quickly and he is very athletic.

Martin and Looney were atrocious. Didnt see too much of Snyder, but I would assume that as long as Boone is a hold out and Looney plays like this Snyder will be the starting Guard?

Hated what I saw from Purcell. I saw one play where he stuffed the run, but he was dominated at the LOS and was allowing the offensive linemen to get to the second level and destroy the LB's.

Dial and Carradine look ready. Dial more than Carradine. Tough to judge because these guys played a lot and looked gassed. Dial should be the starting NT.

Borland looked over matched. He is a violent player, like to hit and trusts his instincts too much. You could see that on the play action where he bit hard. He has talent that much is evident. Just needs to be coached up. Still was disappointed in his performance though.

Liked the secondary with the exception of what I saw from Ward. I love that he flies around and seems to be around the play, but he was a little reckless and was exposed a few times for his over aggressive play. Im sure it will get easier for him as the game slows down a bit over the next month.

Round of applause for Colton Schmidt. THe kid boomed a punt and downed 2 inside the 5. If we can keep him hanging around he could be a replacement for Andy Lee at some point. I love Lee, but Scmidt could be a cheaper replacement at some point if he keeps showing the consistency.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Its really comical for a fan to want to see if a player improved at all on a glaring flaw?

Its just something i wanted to see, i didn't make a huge deal about it I don't care if we win or lose preseason games, i want to see our individual players perform and improve, especially those who need work. I just wish our coaches had called a couple of five step drops where Kaep could read the field (or dump it off, or throw it away, or whatever the situation on the field required).

You added he went to his first option and you wanted him to go through his progressions. Well, one of the plays was designed specifically for McDonald on coming across the middle on the bootleg. What exactly did you want him to do on that play? Maybe I misunderstood you, but seemed like yesterday you wanted him to go through his progressions on his two pass attempts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post clarkfan, and it was a bit discouraging watching Martin and Looney. Both just looked awful, and we may be in trouble if either are asked to play some meaningful minutes. Synder in the NFCCG was awful so I'm hoping Marcus Martin is the real deal. Boone is so valuable as he is able to play both guard and tackle spots, so it would be good to get his situation handled ASAP. Of course, the team won't give him a deal until he reports. I hate to say it, but if Looney struggles in the next few games, our FO may have to give in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
You added he went to his first option and you wanted him to go through his progressions. Well, one of the plays was designed specifically for McDonald on coming across the middle on the bootleg. What exactly did you want him to do on that play? Maybe I misunderstood you, but seemed like yesterday you wanted him to go through his progressions on his two pass attempts.

I would have preferred a couple of five step drops with multiple reads over pounding the ball up the middle, thats all. I hope for the same in the next couple of games. Only so much TC can do for you, he'll need to do it against opposing defenses at some point. He went to his 1st read largely by design it seemed. Jewel Hampton running up the gut should be a staple of the 2nd half when its irrelevant (at least, more so than usual), not the first drive.

This is more of a criticism of Roman than Kaep, at least for last night.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So our shopping list is....

-Backup OT (J Martin)
-Backup QB (Gabbert)
-NT (is dial a NT?) (Purcell)
-RG (Looney- Boone please come back?)

Plus it seemed like Carradine, Ward, and Borland (in particular), while all making impressive plays, were still a little rough around the edges, were they not?
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I would have preferred a couple of five step drops with multiple reads over pounding the ball up the middle, thats all. I hope for the same in the next couple of games. Only so much TC can do for you, he'll need to do it against opposing defenses at some point. He went to his 1st read largely by design it seemed. Jewel Hampton running up the gut should be a staple of the 2nd half when its irrelevant (at least, more so than usual), not the first drive.

This is more of a criticism of Roman than Kaep, at least for last night.

I don't think you should have been mocked (however indirectly), but I agree that for the purposes of game 1 preseason, it is best to give the QB quick one-reads. Keep him safe.. and assess his ability to progress through reads in the weekly practices.. where he won't take hits.

As a fan though... yeah, your desire to see multiple reads is totally understandable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: