Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Game #1 Colts (0-0) @ Jets (0-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMaC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perikirest wrote:
Idk what is wrong with Geno but he about as conservative as they come.....he has nothing in the playmaking mindset its frustrating....

the jets seem to be breaking him from his playmaking mindset, make him more game manager than gunslinger.

its not the worse thing in the world, especially if it means less TO's over the along haul.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perikirest wrote:
Idk what is wrong with Geno but he about as conservative as they come.....he has nothing in the playmaking mindset its frustrating....

maybe nothing was there

he didn't turn the ball over which is most important

as long as he protects the rock and takes what the defense gives him I'm fine

come year 3 I'd like to see him being more methodical and becoming more of a playmaker

this year I just want him protecting the ball 1st and foremost
BlueMoon25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Simms played better than both of them. Shocked

What if he ended up starting over both of them? Just Checkin in on Vick. Eh....
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMaC wrote:
perikirest wrote:

the jets seem to be breaking him from his playmaking mindset, make him more game manager than gunslinger.

its not the worse thing in the world, especially if it means less TO's over the along haul.

no need to go guns blazing in the 1st pre-season game

just get your feet wet and work from there
perikirest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMaC wrote:
perikirest wrote:

He played the same way last year and that clearly didnt stop him from turning it over. And really in college he wasnt a playmaker. He lived on an offensive master with a barrage of screens and touch sweeps to real playmakers while imagining nothing creative or taking any real risk within his role.

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a pretty game. But no one turned the ball over in offense which was our biggest problem last year. Also I don't see why people are down on Geno after the game. I actually think he did very good, he had a couple dumb penalties take back a couple of good plays by him. The OLine looked terrible IMO as well as the whole defense minus a Milliner and Harris. I'm not that worried about them bc if the talent and I think they will get better. But they had some blown coverages and bad penalties. Those are head problems not talent problems that can be fixed.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the game. Two players that stood out to me were Dmitri Patterson and Stephen Hill because both were terrible. Dmitri's constant blown coverages and Hill's inability to separate shined through. To Hill's credit, there's was a 3rd down play where he got open on a cross and Simms didn't see him, but for the most part, he looked awful again both starting and backup corners.

Props to JMG on the sig
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw the first half but my good, bad, ugly

Good:
QB's - Both looked solid (Geno and Vick). Geno converted a nice 3rd and long only to have that taken back by a drive killing penalty on Nelson. Made some good throws and didn't force anything. Vick again doing it with his legs mostly.

Milliner - If it wasn't for that bad hand placement he would have picked that deep ball off but other than that he was in the WR's hip pocket all day. Need to find someone opposite of him ASAP.

Harris - Amazing how we thought this guy was done. He's the leader of this D still even over Wilk. Other than that big play by TY (can't fault him there) he played really well.

Bad:
Oline - Not horrible but could have been better. Couldn't get the push going for the run game.

Penalties - We aren't good enough to overcome them. Hope we clean up those drive killers and extenders.

#2 WR - Didn't see anyone step up to claim that spot. Hill had a nice block on Geno's first down run but Decker was the only man stepping up. Not overly concerned yet. Kerley will help out in the slot some.

Ugly:
Patterson: Looks sluggish and old. way too much cushion and still got beat deep. Hopefully not a sign of things to come because he was always a solid player. He is getting up there in age though. Walls and McDougle do offer some hope though.

Props to Mack on the sig
iliketowel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueMoon25 wrote:
Matt Simms played better than both of them. :shock:

What if he ended up starting over both of them? Just Checkin in on Vick. Eh....

In what way was Simms better than Geno Smith or Vick? The offense generated 3 points in the 2nd half, vs. 3 points on 2 drives for Smith and 7 points on 2 drives for Vick.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is on NFLN right now, watching it since I couldn't catch it live last night.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 73 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT: 0
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw Patterson give up that big play, and noticed he is wearing #24. Oh boy. I hope he plays MUCH better in the coming weeks.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 73 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT: 0
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an absolutely fantastic article if anyone hasn't read it yet.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/08/sadness-new-york-jets-media/#more-23116

Props to Mack on the sig
mikejets22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
This is an absolutely fantastic article if anyone hasn't read it yet.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/08/sadness-new-york-jets-media/#more-23116

That is actually hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
Disappointing from the d-line tonight, imo. But not surprising. We have a DOMINANT d-line against the run, which would be perfect if we were playing 5 years ago and beyond.

Our pass rush from the d-line simply isn't good, and what we saw tonight on the first drive is exactly what all of the teams we face this year will do. Abandon the run, and throw us all the way down the field (den, NE, Chi, Det, etc...). We don't generate enough pressure to be a dominant D all around.

Now, I know it was preseason, and this was "vanilla" play calls....but that's kinda my point. Our vanilla dline couldn't generate pressure without blitz packages - and it's not like we can rely on a ton of great down field coverage.

That sounds like a lot of doom and gloom, but it's just my opinion of what I think is a dline that is slightly overrated by us Jets fans. Still missing that edge guy to really open things up.

My fear is what I said earlier. Teams with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Megatron, Aaron Rodgers not even attempting to run, just spreading us out and picking us apart.

I thought Geno looked good.

That's all that needs to be said at this point. There is not a better 3-4 defensive line in the NFL and I don't see any disputing that.

Well, like I said - it's not going to look pretty with top tier QBs standing back there and picking us apart. It's great to be "rah-rah" Jets and celebrate our amazing dline, but we got a realistic look at what might happen vs very good QBs, with very good WRs.

I'm a very optimistic Jets fan, but there is a reality to the situation. Our dline doesn't generate pass rush pressure. Great vs run, but I have my doubts on how well it will do when teams just don't run the ball (a la opening drive tonight, where we got saved by a back up center).

It's hard to expect any team to generate more pressure than we can with a 3-man pass rush. Obviously, we might not generate the same pass rush with our DL as a 4-3 defense might, but that's a result of the scheme we play.

When we rush more guys, we get results due to our DL taking up space. That's how Calvin Pace was able to set a career high in sacks at the age of 33. It's not because he became significantly better. It's because the line in front of him did.

No doubt about it, our dline guys are cogs. They eat space, stop the run and draw double teams. They do not rush the passer well.

A large majority of Pace's sacks were coverage clean up sacks. Still maintain my original sentiment, we lack the edge guy (3-4 OLB) to open up space for our DL and to take advantage of the 1v1 they get because of the DL.

I'm not bashing our dline. Like I said, they would have been dominant early 2000s and before. But in today's NFL, our 3-4 dline scares me.
Think
.....We have the best 34 Dline in football. Just because we didn't get alot of pressure off one preseason game when we did it a majority of last year boggles my mind that someone would be worried about that.......plus a 34 Dlinemans primary responsibility is to stop the run first instead of rushing.

Props to CalhounLambeau on the Sig/Avy
mikejets22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
green24 wrote:
mikejets22 wrote:
Disappointing from the d-line tonight, imo. But not surprising. We have a DOMINANT d-line against the run, which would be perfect if we were playing 5 years ago and beyond.

Our pass rush from the d-line simply isn't good, and what we saw tonight on the first drive is exactly what all of the teams we face this year will do. Abandon the run, and throw us all the way down the field (den, NE, Chi, Det, etc...). We don't generate enough pressure to be a dominant D all around.

Now, I know it was preseason, and this was "vanilla" play calls....but that's kinda my point. Our vanilla dline couldn't generate pressure without blitz packages - and it's not like we can rely on a ton of great down field coverage.

That sounds like a lot of doom and gloom, but it's just my opinion of what I think is a dline that is slightly overrated by us Jets fans. Still missing that edge guy to really open things up.

My fear is what I said earlier. Teams with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Megatron, Aaron Rodgers not even attempting to run, just spreading us out and picking us apart.

I thought Geno looked good.

That's all that needs to be said at this point. There is not a better 3-4 defensive line in the NFL and I don't see any disputing that.

Well, like I said - it's not going to look pretty with top tier QBs standing back there and picking us apart. It's great to be "rah-rah" Jets and celebrate our amazing dline, but we got a realistic look at what might happen vs very good QBs, with very good WRs.

I'm a very optimistic Jets fan, but there is a reality to the situation. Our dline doesn't generate pass rush pressure. Great vs run, but I have my doubts on how well it will do when teams just don't run the ball (a la opening drive tonight, where we got saved by a back up center).

It's hard to expect any team to generate more pressure than we can with a 3-man pass rush. Obviously, we might not generate the same pass rush with our DL as a 4-3 defense might, but that's a result of the scheme we play.

When we rush more guys, we get results due to our DL taking up space. That's how Calvin Pace was able to set a career high in sacks at the age of 33. It's not because he became significantly better. It's because the line in front of him did.

No doubt about it, our dline guys are cogs. They eat space, stop the run and draw double teams. They do not rush the passer well.

A large majority of Pace's sacks were coverage clean up sacks. Still maintain my original sentiment, we lack the edge guy (3-4 OLB) to open up space for our DL and to take advantage of the 1v1 they get because of the DL.

I'm not bashing our dline. Like I said, they would have been dominant early 2000s and before. But in today's NFL, our 3-4 dline scares me.
Think
.....We have the best 34 Dline in football. Just because we didn't get alot of pressure off one preseason game when we did it a majority of last year boggles my mind that someone would be worried about that.......plus a 34 Dlinemans primary responsibility is to stop the run first instead of rushing.

OK. Perhaps I should spell it out more clearly. You can enjoy our amazing d-line stopping the run with Peyton, Tom, Aaron, Jay and Megatron NOT running the ball against us. It has nothing to do with ONE preseason game, and everything to do with strategy. We are insanely good at stopping the run. What will teams with those QBs do? Exactly what Luck did drive 1 tonight.

That is my concern - if that doesn't concern you, that boggles my mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: