Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kendall Hunter waived
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Kendall Hunter waived Reply with quote

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/4/5968771/49ers-waived-injured-kendall-hunter
Quote:

The San Francisco 49ers took the first step to clearing a roster spot by waiving running back Kendall Hunter. They applied the waived/injured designation, which means if he clears waivers, he would either revert to their injured reserve list, or the team could agree to an injury settlement. An injury settlement is based on expected weeks absent, and since he tore his ACL, it would basically be a full season settlement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the team wants to add another RB ASAP. I doubt anyone picks him up since he will be a FA in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Looks like the team wants to add another RB ASAP. I doubt anyone picks him up since he will be a FA in 2015.

Technically, if we let him walk and he signs elsewhere, we get a comp pick. If someone claims him, and let him walk, they would too get a comp pick, no? But if a team claims him, they have to keep him on the 53? Or else they have to waive him too to put him on IR? I really don't see a team pulling a move like this, though. There's surely some unwritten rule about stuff like this. People are placed on IR every year, never seen one getting claimed.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chris Biderman @ChrisBiderman · 14s
Jim Harbaugh said the team plans on signing another running back. The team worked someone out this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the 49ers just place Hunter on IR instead of waiving him? Hope we don't lose him to another team as I was hoping we would sign him to an extension.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 1m
#49ers are signing ex-Michigan State RB Glenn Winston.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:
Couldn't the 49ers just place Hunter on IR instead of waiving him? Hope we don't lose him to another team as I was hoping we would sign him to an extension.

They would have had to wait until the 27th to put Hunter on IR.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Here's a little article I ran into on Winston. Could end up being another feel good reclamation story but in reality, probably just a camp mule to keep the other rb's fresh.
Quote:
After two arrests — he spent six months in jail for a 2008 fight with MSU hockey players and violated his probation with the 2009 Rather Hall incident — Winston is a longshot to get drafted, even though one area scout who spoke to the Free Press on the condition of anonymity said he would have no problem taking the running back late in next week’s draft.

“He’s talented,” the scout said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody takes him and drafts him. Now, he probably won’t because he’s older and he’s had issues, but really, the value in that round, there’s not going to be anybody as big as him or as powerful as him as a running back. There’s going to be a lot of backs picked in the seventh that do not have his talent.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140502/SPORTS01/305020023/Ex-Michigan-State-RB-Glenn-Winston-hoping-for-a-third-chance-in-NFL-draft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:

I expected him to be in a battle with James and as much as I think the team is not crazy about James as a RB he appears to be the choice as returner. So I was half expecting us to try to trade Hunter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, as good as Hyde is playing, Hunter was still looked upon as the back up to Gore. Supposedly he had the explosiveness back that he was missing last year. That is scary since he still performed well despite not having the same explosiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Here's a little article I ran into on Winston. Could end up being another feel good reclamation story but in reality, probably just a camp mule to keep the other rb's fresh.
Quote:
After two arrests — he spent six months in jail for a 2008 fight with MSU hockey players and violated his probation with the 2009 Rather Hall incident — Winston is a longshot to get drafted, even though one area scout who spoke to the Free Press on the condition of anonymity said he would have no problem taking the running back late in next week’s draft.

“He’s talented,” the scout said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody takes him and drafts him. Now, he probably won’t because he’s older and he’s had issues, but really, the value in that round, there’s not going to be anybody as big as him or as powerful as him as a running back. There’s going to be a lot of backs picked in the seventh that do not have his talent.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140502/SPORTS01/305020023/Ex-Michigan-State-RB-Glenn-Winston-hoping-for-a-third-chance-in-NFL-draft
Please excuse me for dropping in your forum but I am extremely excited for Glen. I coached him in High School at Denby. I cringe every time I see that article because Glen was just defending his teammate that the Hockey team decided to bully.

Glen is actually a shy kid (well man now) who has had an EXTREMELY rough upbringing.He has some impressive, untapped physical tools and is quite the physical specimen. I hate to ramble but I am just so excited for him, there will be no doubt that he will work his tail off even if its just to get film.

PSN: bench515lbs
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:

Nope. Not at this point of the offseason - he has to pass through waivers first. I'm not thinking any team is looking to claim a backup RB with 2 knee injuries without a contract next season, though, so all is well. Any team that picked him up would have to pay him his salary this year ($645,000) plus hope that he would resign with them, because otherwise they gave him money for no reason. Plus, they'd have to feel comfortable about him resigning with them without getting a chance to examine his just-injured knee.

That's entirely desperate. I like Kendall Hunter a lot, but there's a bunch of him in every draft class that could come cheaper and healthier.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
Psychlone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please excuse me for dropping in your forum but I am extremely excited for Glen. I coached him in High School at Denby. I cringe every time I see that article because Glen was just defending his teammate that the Hockey team decided to bully.

Glen is actually a shy kid (well man now) who has had an EXTREMELY rough upbringing.He has some impressive, untapped physical tools and is quite the physical specimen. I hate to ramble but I am just so excited for him, there will be no doubt that he will work his tail off even if its just to get film.

Then hear hear for another possible reclamation feel good story (It's happened here and I assume with most teams on rare occasions) from someone with some tangible insight. There is not one fan on this forum I presume who would be disappointed if he beat the odds and helped the team. My coat just gets thicker as I get older so I hope he proves me wrong. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-rb-hunter-clears-waivers-headed-ir

Quote:
Running back Kendall Hunter will spend the season on the 49ers’ injured reserve list after he cleared waivers on Tuesday.

Hunter sustained a torn ACL in his right knee on July 25 during the 49ers’ second practice of training camp.

In order to create an opening on the team’s 90-man roster, the 49ers had to expose him on the waiver wire. Because Hunter is not under contract for the 2015 season, there was no reason for another team to claim him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Happy that no team claimed Hunter. Personally, I would try to extend him for 2015 at a cheap rate. See how he does next off-season. I like Hunter and he's only 25 so as long as he heals up, he could still be a valuable weapon. And if he doesnt, no biggie since his contract would be minimal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: