Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Game #1 Steelers @ Giants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
jebrick wrote:
McCullers will be something with some training. He was tackled on nearly every play he was in.

Archer will be good if he can get clean releases. I think teams will have a LB/CB hammer him on a LOS. He is not large enough to really fight off a serious bump.

Why does he have to line up @ the LOS?

Line up in a trips or diamond like they love to with other personnel and
use the lead WR/whoever to bust a jam @ the LOS.

Lets hope that Haley has learn from his McCluster experiment. Archer on Flairs and Wheel routes out of the backfield could be dangerous.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
How is Shamarko Thomas not on anyone's winners list?

Beyond that, how the hell did they trot out Will Allen at FS with Polamalu resting?

Where is the logic in that? That had better just be a preseason thing to get everyone on the field for snaps. If they really plan to do that in the regular season...

On that note, Jordan Zumwalt looked good, as well. It's going to be tough for him to make the team, though.

This is the biggest thing that annoys me with this team. A promising young backup and they start a old vet why? There's no defending that. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if they call Kesiel last minute to play end over Tuitt.
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the game for the first time this morning.

McCullers is a force to be reckoned with in the run game.

Re-watching/posting my game notes later tonight.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, those announcers were TERRIBLE to listen to.

JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:

Yeah they were. Problem with games not being nationally broadcasted and getting the broadcasters from the home team!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
bigben07MVP wrote:

Yeah they were. Problem with games not being nationally broadcasted and getting the broadcasters from the home team!

Pompeani and Nelson are the worst things about watching the Steelers during the preseason. I don't know who Pompeani is talking about half the time and Nelson criticizes everything even when it's not warranted. I'm not sure how he can get on Bryant's case for not catching the two balls he drew PI on? It's kind of hard to do that when you are getting mugged. Rolling Eyes

Shamarko Thomas flew to the ball and made some nice open field tackles. Nice to see Spence not only play but be productive too. He's been through a lot and he can add some quality depth at LB.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I had no problem with Adams' play in pass protection.

yeah, I don't get why people are freaking on him. I swear folks were simply looking to crucify him. I watched him very specifically go head to head with JPP on several occasions and hold his own, and stoned him cold a few times.

He certainly had some downs but so did Beachum, among others.

best players on the defense were Spence, Shark, and Tuitt. yes, he jumped, he'll learn. but I like what i saw. McCullers and Zumwalt looked beastly against the backups. Bryant looked wretched, no surprises there, he has work to do, we all knew that. 6'4, 4.4, late round? Yeah, work to do.

and congrats to Jarvis Jones for a nice play on that sack, more of that please!
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed that one one play that Adams did give up the outside edge to JPP, he pushed him around Gradkowski.

I counted 1 pancake for him in run blocking as well.

Adams did own Robert Ayers when the Giants 2nd team defense came in. Never got close.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I was impressed that one one play that Adams did give up the outside edge to JPP, he pushed him around Gradkowski.

I counted 1 pancake for him in run blocking as well.

Adams did own Robert Ayers when the Giants 2nd team defense came in. Never got close.

I think Ayers had him beat outside once but the play was to the other side of the field

overall, I think the criticism of Adams after this game is highly unjustified.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Winners

+ Sean Spence
+ Dri Archer
+ Jarvis Jones
+ Howard Jones

Losers

- Cam Heyward
- 2nd string RBs ( Poole and Harris)
- Entire 2nd group of OL as a whole.
- Landry Jones
- 2nd group of WRs lack intermediate big play ability.

I hope you didn't list HoJo because he scored... I forget the guy who did it but the guy who forced the fumble on that lateral pass actually had a decent game with the 3rd stringers. He wa sa winner to me though he has 0 chance of making the team.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
I had no problem with Adams' play in pass protection.

yeah, I don't get why people are freaking on him. I swear folks were simply looking to crucify him. I watched him very specifically go head to head with JPP on several occasions and hold his own, and stoned him cold a few times.

He certainly had some downs but so did Beachum, among others.

best players on the defense were Spence, Shark, and Tuitt. yes, he jumped, he'll learn. but I like what i saw. McCullers and Zumwalt looked beastly against the backups. Bryant looked wretched, no surprises there, he has work to do, we all knew that. 6'4, 4.4, late round? Yeah, work to do.

and congrats to Jarvis Jones for a nice play on that sack, more of that please!

Im not sure about Bryant looking "wretched". Granted, I didnt get to watch the game closely or see every play he was involved in, but I didnt see anything I would classify as "wretched".
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes for Game 1:

- If Howard Jones continues this play, he could easily steal Chris Carter's spot on the roster.

- Sean Spence was the best defensive player on our side. His speed was clear, looked great on a few blitzes, and made stops on the run. He really impressed me, especially on the first 3 and out against the Giants starters. Saw him line up outside the tackles on a few plays, possible Worilds replacement?

- Dri Archer looked pretty lost on his punt returns, he couldn't seem to get the first guy to miss on any of his returns.

- Starting O-line was getting some great push in the run game. Everyone was sticking to their blocks. The right side of our line (Pouncey-Decastro-Gilbert) will be nice to run behind this year if they stay healthy. Decastro was almost 15 yards up field on Archer's big screen play.

- McCullers has the potential to be a stud against the run. I know he was against 3rd stringers but on one play, he held the guard off with one hand and tackled the running back with the other. I haven't seen anything like that since Hampton/Aaron Smith. (Not saying he's the next Hampton, just pointing out his most impressive play)

- Like others have said, Adams wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. imo he was the best player on the 2nd team O-line.

- Shamarko Thomas has a fiestyness to his play that is refreshing. Dude is fast and can HIT. Thinking of a Mike Mitchell/Shamarko Thomas safety tandem in the future is pretty scary.

- #74 on the O-line sucked, whoever it was.

SteelerPR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant didn't look good. He had one easy drop and another pass he could have caught if I remember correctly. He had the fumble at the end. He almost fumble away a punt.

On the Two PI plays, he had a chance at catching the first, I though that even though the defender was on him, the ball hit him on the chest.

On the second one, he did not seem to adjust well to the ball. I guess he could have done a better job at trying to fight for better positioning.

I though Bell looked well, specially on those two first runs.
Eaglehoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Bryant's fumble it looked like he dropped the ball himself while trying to switch hands and the contact comes immediately after the ball starts to become loose. He did not look good. His PI call looked like he pushed off first and then the corner grabbed second. I watched Adams on the replay of the game and I did not feel he did a bad job overall. He was pushed backwards several times but he did not let the DE go like Whimper did several times. Whimper is way too slow coming off the snap and a fast DE will beat him every time. Even Wallace looked sloppy.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have video highlights? I saw Archer's catch and the Giants TD run, but that's about it (I missed the game).

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: