Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andy Dalton Signs new Deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Hoping Russell Wilson signs this type of team-friendly incentive-laden contract that appear to be trending.

no way that happens. He has a SB win, something these other guys don't have.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't get much more than these guys have, market has been set.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
SoS wrote:
Hoping Russell Wilson signs this type of team-friendly incentive-laden contract that appear to be trending.

no way that happens. He has a SB win, something these other guys don't have.

Yea but I can hope Laughing
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Bengals fan, but I live just outside of Cincinnati and I watch all the Bengals' games. I've seen them get better and better over the last few years and believe they have a championship team..... with the exception of QB. Andy Dalton has been simply abysmal in the playoffs. I've never seen someone do so little, with so much talent around him. That is why I was so shocked to see him get an extension. It just doesn't make sense! You are essentially rewarding the one guy that is holding this team back.

Whether or not it's a front loaded, team friendly contract, what this means, is that Bengals' fans are stuck with Dalton as their starter, for at least 3 more years. If he implodes during more playoff games, do you think a premier receiver like A.J. Greene is gonna want to stick around? I know Greene is endorsing Dalton now, but what about 2-3 years from now, when he melts down again? The Bengals have so much talent on that roster and their window of opportunity is only gonna last for so long, so why handcuff them with the epitome of an average QB?

Why not let him play out the deal he had and evaluate him after the season? If he does well, you re-sign him or franchise him, but now, if he continues to miss opportunities by single handedly destroying the Bengals chances in the playoffs, you're screwed. In addition, I would have had an open competition to see what A.J. McCarron could do, but it appears as though he'll have to wait at least 4 years to get a shot in Cincinnati, because no matter how well he plays, you're not gonna start him ahead of a $100 million QB. This decision to extend Dalton now, just baffles me.

I can't wait to call my friend Mike, tonight. He's a huge Bengals fan and I know he's probably having a stroke, right about now. Every time I asked him about Dalton's contract status, he'd say, "they aren't gonna do anything until they evaluate him this year. They aren't dumb enough to give him a big contract at this point."

I guess he was wrong. They are.
TonyMaC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMachONE wrote:
wow Andy Dalton is the QB that's good enough to get you into the playoffs but will never get you any further than that. Absolutely crazy that he got this much money.

he didn't get that much money. not yet.

Seriously this isn't a bad deal at all, he's not even getting paid more than better QB's or anything, and he can be cut after two years.

This is basically a two year deal, which is just fine. theres no guarantees that McCarron or any QB they could draft next year was gonna do better than what Dalton will.

People need to stop looking at the total and start looking at the year by year cap hit and guarantees.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Dalton or Cutler deserve these deals, I wouldn't trust these two to lead a championship caliber team. I have a hard time ever seeing Lewis getting his team talented enough to get them over the hump. Unless Dalton makes significant strides, if avoid committing to him. Though it seems that they can get out of the deal.

I feel that teams are becoming more willing to settle on mediocre qb at the risk of having a bad qb. I get that approach but it is limiting.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Flacco backed the Ravens into a corner by winning a Superbowl.

Andy Dalton, on the other hand, backed Cinci into a corner by not winning a single playoff game.

And I thought I hated Flacco's deal. This news just made my day as a Ravens fan!

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Man, Flacco backed the Ravens into a corner by winning a Superbowl.

Andy Dalton, on the other hand, backed Cinci into a corner by not winning a single playoff game.

And I thought I hated Flacco's deal. This news just made my day as a Ravens fan!

You're better than this SnA. Read the details of the entire contract...
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGE mistake for the Benglas imo. Dalton is ok but he will never be an elite QB or a Superbowl type QB. Just my opinion but I think this is bad news for Bengals fans.

Btw, yeah if there is an easy out clause in the contract then it's not so bad afterall. This was just my initial reaction to seeing the numbers before reading anything about it.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, they're betting on potential. Dalton has gotten a little better every year.

I guess the Chargers were right in throwing away Brees, because Rivers has led them to championship after championship. I guess the GIants should have just bailed on Eli Manning after 4 years because he was absolutely brutal.

While Dalton may never get to that class, he's a known commodity to his teammates, and that can go a long way. I also disagree that he's holding them back from being a championship caliber team. As we've seen in the past, especially here in Minnesota, even if you supposedly improve that one piece that is supposedly holding you back, that doesn't guarantee anything.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Again, they're betting on potential. Dalton has gotten a little better every year.

I guess the Chargers were right in throwing away Brees, because Rivers has led them to championship after championship. I guess the GIants should have just bailed on Eli Manning after 4 years because he was absolutely brutal.

While Dalton may never get to that class, he's a known commodity to his teammates, and that can go a long way. I also disagree that he's holding them back from being a championship caliber team. As we've seen in the past, especially here in Minnesota, even if you supposedly improve that one piece that is supposedly holding you back, that doesn't guarantee anything.

Two different scenarios. Eli one is more applicable than the Brees one.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:

Solid post. We have a very talented Team but it's not like replacing Dalton with just anyone would get us a SB. Of course any top team that can get a QB like Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, etc... would instantly improve and be a SB caliber but those QB's don't grow on Trees.

The contract that was signed favors the Team greatly (thank you Kaep). It's the best outcome I could have hoped for as a Bengals fan...
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through three years:

Passer Rating
Peyton Manning: 85.5
Dalton: 85.7

Completion percentage
Peyton Manning: 60.4
Dalton: 60.7

Passing yards
Peyton Manning: 12,287 yards
Dalton: 11,363 yards

Yards Per Attempt
Peyton Manning: 7.33
Dalton: 6.93

Touchdowns
Peyton Manning: 85 TDs
Dalton: 80 TDs

INTs
Peyton Manning: 58 INTs
Dalton: 49 INTs

Fumbles
Peyton Manning: 14 (losing 6)
Dalton: 12 (losing 9)

Colts probably should have been looking for a replacement for Peyton after three years, amirite? He was holding them back, obviously.

And then remember that Peyton had a world class receiver of his own in Marvin Harrison and had Marshall Faulk for a year and then Edgerrin James for two years to take the pressure off him compared to Dalton having barely average RBs.

Very, very, few QBs have ever had better Rookie, Sophomore, 3rd year campaigns than Dalton. But you know, playoff failures, rabble, rabble, rabble.

Dalton is a good QB, somewhere in the 10-15 range. Sure they could do better, but it's not like those QBs grow on trees and they could do a hell of a lot worse. He needs to get a lot better in the playoffs, but he's no where near as bad as people act like he is.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Dalton gets way more crap than he deserves. His first three years in the league stack up favorably against almost every QB in NFL history's first three years. Not that he's a great QB, but people need to stop only looking at the fact that he's a physically limited QB and realize that he makes up for it about as well as anyone possibly could and it makes him a better performer than many of these more physically advanced guys that get a pass as being better.

I don't necessarily think he was worth this much, but it's a deal that needed to get done. I prefer it to a few of the other deals that have been signed recently.

If by "stack up favorably" you mean in those 3 years he has the 23rd best overall QBR. Meaning he is 8 spots below "average" which would be the 15th best QBR. If by "stack up favorably" you mean chokes and throws 3-4 INT's in a home playoff game, almost single handedly losing the game despite having one of the best homefield advantage which allowed you to go undefeated at home during the regular season. If by "stack up favorably" you mean your former offensive coordinator in Jay Gruden said he should be improving more than he has for his time in the league.
this is what basing your tirade around a reading miscomprehension looks like.
TonyMaC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I don't think Dalton or Cutler deserve these deals, I wouldn't trust these two to lead a championship caliber team. I have a hard time ever seeing Lewis getting his team talented enough to get them over the hump. Unless Dalton makes significant strides, if avoid committing to him. Though it seems that they can get out of the deal.

I feel that teams are becoming more willing to settle on mediocre qb at the risk of having a bad qb. I get that approach but it is limiting.

The problem is true "top tier" QB's are difficult to come by, settling for a "starting caliber" QB becomes a necessity when you know you're in no condition to get the next big prospect.

besides,a s the Ravens and giants have proven one can win it all with an average to above average QB that goes on a hot streak right?

the difficult part comes in trying to assess what the salary of an average QB should actually be. the market for locking up QB's is pretty inflated right now, 16-20 million a year is the average range for a QB hitting his prime. theres almost no middle ground between cheap rookie or stopgap deal worth 2-5 mill a year and these mega deals, so how do you pay a good if questionable QB thats proven he's at least a two year answer as signal caller?

Apparently with Kaep and Dalton's deal the name of the game is to give them big money but also make them earn it. add incentives to sweeten the deal and give yourself an out early on in case he's really not worth it. The 49ers were genius for giving the deal they did, they can cut the dude NEXT year if they like.

And i think Cinci did a good job with this deal, about 10 million a year is what i'd give him based on previous work, and thats all he's guaranteed really. the hardest to swallow parts are easily avoidable, and frankly a little lower than that of other QB's in the latter parts of their deals.

the precedent for extensions of the likes of Newton, Foles, Wilson and Luck has been set. It looks good and team friendly,even if the totals are steeper than ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: