Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andy Dalton Signs new Deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
QB purgatory along with Stafford, Cutler, Ryan, Romo, etc.. good enough to get you to the playoffs, will need a defense like Flacco or Kaep have in order to win the whole thing. Dalton is a good QB, you can't just let him go for free, but I just can't ever see him leading the team all the way.

So basically, pretty much every team is in QB purgatory or worse? Because even Brady, Manning and Rodgers needs very good defenses to win their titles.

And Joe Flacco's defense wasnt that good when he won. He just had an unbelievable 4 game tear in the playoffs.

I get what you are saying, but even great-elite QBs need defensive help.

Yeah I should've added Flacco was as elite as it gets in that playoff stretch. I also didn't mean to sound like the elite guys do it on their own, just that they are able to have those stretches.

Also to the others, it isn't QB hell, these are easily good QBs, it's not like these teams face QB problems, it's purgatory because you have to choose between giving a lot of money and long term commitment to a guy you know needs a lot of help to win it all, versus letting him go and facing downtrodden seasons with bad QB play to try and find that guy. Gotta be a difficult decision for any GM. Chiefs are next to make it with Alex Smith.

If it's that difficult a decision, why has pretty much every team gone only one way about it?
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMaC wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I don't think Dalton or Cutler deserve these deals, I wouldn't trust these two to lead a championship caliber team. I have a hard time ever seeing Lewis getting his team talented enough to get them over the hump. Unless Dalton makes significant strides, if avoid committing to him. Though it seems that they can get out of the deal.

I feel that teams are becoming more willing to settle on mediocre qb at the risk of having a bad qb. I get that approach but it is limiting.

The problem is true "top tier" QB's are difficult to come by, settling for a "starting caliber" QB becomes a necessity when you know you're in no condition to get the next big prospect.

besides,a s the Ravens and giants have proven one can win it all with an average to above average QB that goes on a hot streak right?

the difficult part comes in trying to assess what the salary of an average QB should actually be. the market for locking up QB's is pretty inflated right now, 16-20 million a year is the average range for a QB hitting his prime. theres almost no middle ground between cheap rookie or stopgap deal worth 2-5 mill a year and these mega deals, so how do you pay a good if questionable QB thats proven he's at least a two year answer as signal caller?

Apparently with Kaep and Dalton's deal the name of the game is to give them big money but also make them earn it. add incentives to sweeten the deal and give yourself an out early on in case he's really not worth it. The 49ers were genius for giving the deal they did, they can cut the dude NEXT year if they like.

And i think Cinci did a good job with this deal, about 10 million a year is what i'd give him based on previous work, and thats all he's guaranteed really. the hardest to swallow parts are easily avoidable, and frankly a little lower than that of other QB's in the latter parts of their deals.

the precedent for extensions of the likes of Newton, Foles, Wilson and Luck has been set. It looks good and team friendly,even if the totals are steeper than ever.
Yeah these deals are really nice. This is a good thing for contending teams.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently im the only one who isnt surprised... Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

You seem to be surprised that you're the only one that is not surprised. I'm surprised that you would be surprised that you're the only one that is not surprised.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

You seem to be surprised that you're the only one that is not surprised. I'm surprised that you would be surprised that you're the only one that is not surprised.

All this talk about winning playoff games, but if they drop Dalton right now essentially or wait even longer then they can be stuck with what happened to the Ravens where they have to pay even more because Flacco performed

Dalton obviously didnt play well but he didnt get much help from Gio and Green, his 2 biggest weapons and he is turning 27 in the Fall. I think they could have waited but I think they have enough faith in him to give him a long deal, but as it was stated before, its a team-friendly deal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Not at all.

I knew this was coming. I just thought they would wait until next offseason.

As I stated before, they really didnt have a choice.

And while Dalton isnt great, he definitely isnt as bad as some make him out to be.

Too many people expect QBs to be saviors ala Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc....but the fact is, they are extremely rare. Dalton is a good QB that the Bengals can win with. They may not thrive with him and he has his shortcomings, but while many argue that he holds them back, I argue that they could be alot worse off without him.

Newsflash....if they tried to replace him, they have a better chance of downgrading than upgrading.

Hate Dalton all you want, but some of you have a delusional sense of how easy it is to find a QB that can get a team to the playoffs every year.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
It's not surprising at all. This is the price you pay for above average QB play now a days.

Kempes on the custom sig!
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit of a surprise, figured they'd wait to see how he did this year before they gave him a new deal.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Steeler fan, at this point, I love this signing. He's one of the Top 3 QB's in the division, I guess it depends on how you rank Flacco on whether he's #2 or #3. But there's only one Top 5 QB in the division, honestly, arguably only one Top 10 QB in the division, again depending on how you view the QBs there. In terms of QB play, it pretty much keeps the division in check and for us, in check mate.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
As a Steeler fan, at this point, I love this signing. He's one of the Top 3 QB's in the division, I guess it depends on how you rank Flacco on whether he's #2 or #3. But there's only one Top 5 QB in the division, honestly, arguably only one Top 10 QB in the division, again depending on how you view the QBs there. In terms of QB play, it pretty much keeps the division in check and for us, in check mate.

There are two Andy Dalton's. There is the regular season, 1 PM start time Dalton. And there is the primetime/playoff Dalton. They are not the same QB.

So while Ben is definitely the more accomplished QB, Andy is a proven QB that adds value to the team as long as they don't play all their games on national TV. With this resigning, the Bengals are going to be a dangerous team again, with a good chance at winning 9-11 games.

So be careful what you wish for. That checkmate they've had the past three years has meant exactly 0 division titles, with the Ravens being the far better team over that time span, and the Bengals being dangerous enough to hold the Steelers in check (2-2 against them over 2012 and 2013).

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

There are two Andy Dalton's. There is the regular season, 1 PM start time Dalton. And there is the primetime/playoff Dalton. They are not the same QB.

So while Ben is definitely the more accomplished QB, Andy is a proven QB that adds value to the team as long as they don't play all their games on national TV. With this resigning, the Bengals are going to be a dangerous team again, with a good chance at winning 9-11 games.

So be careful what you wish for. That checkmate they've had the past three years has meant exactly 0 division titles, with the Ravens being the far better team over that time span, and the Bengals being dangerous enough to hold the Steelers in check (2-2 against them over 2012 and 2013).

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. However, in terms of 'check mate' I'm simply suggesting we have the better QB, I'm not talking, in any regard, about team talent/success. I think that the Bengals were smart to resign Dalton because the potential is definitely there, who knows if it'll ever truly blossom. I also think they didn't really have an alternative.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
But there's only one Top 5 QB in the division,

Johnny Football? Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
But there's only one Top 5 QB in the division,

Johnny Football? Laughing

Now that really is funny. Laughing

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how some of you can say that he is "easily replacable".

By whom ?
I'd like to hear one QB that CIN could start this year or next that would perform as well as Dalton.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgundraw wrote:
I don't get how some of you can say that he is "easily replacable".

By whom ?
I'd like to hear one QB that CIN could start this year or next that would perform as well as Dalton.

He is definitely not easily replaceable because if he was, he wouldn't have gotten an extension.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: