Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shazier will start
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Shazier will start Reply with quote

Lebeau talks about changes to the game and defense:

Quote:
- LeBeau is making official what has been evident since the first day of offseason workouts. Ryan Shazier will be the first rookie to start in his defense since LeBeau returned to the Steelers in 2004.

“He's going to start. Yeah, he's going to start,” LeBeau said. “Whether that was the situation or not (Shazier being a first rounder), he was going to start in the NFL. … We'll try not to overload him, but he's going to start, no question about it.”

Now, not only will Shazier start at inside linebacker, second-round pick Stephon Tuitt could start at left defensive end.

“He's definitely going to get a significant amount of playing time,” LeBeau said. “He's shown us a lot of athleticism for a big guy, and he's in great shape. He can run all day.”

“The game is in a constant state of change, and it's evolving into a wide-open, run-and-shoot, option type of thing,” LeBeau said. “(Offenses) are going to use different personnel packages, and you have to match up.”

“I think that every team in today's NFL plays younger players earlier than they used to,” LeBeau said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6519528-74/lebeau-defense-start#axzz39NtcefOX

A few notes:
1. It was only a few years ago that Tomlin said they would not change their base defense based on the spread offense. That they were going to do what they do, and that packages were a sign of weakness.

2. So, I'll just say it's good that they are finally ready and willing to play young guys.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard he got hurt today at practice..... Anything serious?

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:

it was nothing but a boo-boo (Tomlin quote...srs)

he went down after a hit on Bell and was gimping a bit but he was walking around the rest of practice, just not on the field. From what I could read, it was purely precautionary.

as for Shazier starting, that was a foregone conclusion I thought. I'll be annoyed as hell if Cam Thomas is somehow given the starting role over Tuitt, who by all accounts has been quite impressive
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:

he went down after a hit on Bell and was gimping a bit but he was walking around the rest of practice, just not on the field. From what I could read, it was purely precautionary.
as for Shazier starting, that was a foregone conclusion I thought. I'll be annoyed as hell if Cam Thomas is somehow given the starting role over Tuitt, who by all accounts has been quite impressive

Agreed completely, but Ill wait till we see what happens in preseason. If Cam Thomas looks CLEARLY better than Tuitt, I wont have a real issue with it. However, if Tuitt looks just as good or better, he should undoubtedly be starting, because even if they are on the same level, its not even debatable that Tuitt has more upside and we have more talent on the field with him than Cam. Hate this "veterans preference" garbage they seem to have on DLine.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wexell tweeted that he asked an unnamed coach about this. Was told Thomas looks good, and that it's unlikely Tuitt will start. Wasn't ruled out completely, but...

I'd put money on who that coach was.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

Wexell tweeted that he asked an unnamed coach about this. Was told Thomas looks good, and that it's unlikely Tuitt will start. Wasn't ruled out completely, but...

Some of the members of our defensive coaching staff just need to move on, even if by force. Some of our coaches, especially the 'older' one(s) are holding our defense back at this point.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:

Agreed completely, but Ill wait till we see what happens in preseason. If Cam Thomas looks CLEARLY better than Tuitt, I wont have a real issue with it. However, if Tuitt looks just as good or better, he should undoubtedly be starting, because even if they are on the same level, its not even debatable that Tuitt has more upside and we have more talent on the field with him than Cam. Hate this "veterans preference" garbage they seem to have on DLine.

Me too, and Heyward as well I would think. Looks like they are finally waking up, because that old mentality was holding back players and the team. Heyward didn't see much of the field for over 2 years then was the best player on the D, what a waste. Mitchell is to blame and I have a feeling thomas makes the team and starts.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

Some of the members of our defensive coaching staff just need to move on, even if by force. Some of our coaches, especially the 'older' one(s) are holding our defense back at this point.

+1, maybe + 10, I know I am not the only one here that feels this way. The D-Line (hint?) has been the worst for this. Last year Keisel got pushed around quite a bit, but if that was a rookie he would have been benched. That is just one example, probably a few others as well.
snoopydawg44us

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what happens when you win Super bowls and alot of big games. Coaches tends to hold on those players longer.
byerly724

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one think cam Thomas should start... At NT. move McClendon back to a DE/DT situational player where I think he fits better. In base defense he didnt seem to demand double teams enough inside to help our middle backers.

Not saying cam Thomas is better then him but I want to see what he can do during preseason against other teams number 1s atleast. This would give tuitt the chance to prove himself also
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byerly724 wrote:
I for one think cam Thomas should start... At NT. move McClendon back to a DE/DT situational player where I think he fits better. In base defense he didnt seem to demand double teams enough inside to help our middle backers.

Not saying cam Thomas is better then him but I want to see what he can do during preseason against other teams number 1s atleast. This would give tuitt the chance to prove himself also

McLendon is definitely better than Thomas regardless of where you put them.

If Tuitt doesnt get plenty of chances, blame the coaching staff. They seem to hate rookie DLineman.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
byerly724 wrote:

McLendon is definitely better than Thomas regardless of where you put them.

If Tuitt doesnt get plenty of chances, blame the coaching staff. They seem to hate rookie DLineman.

+1 , saved me typing this . A 2-4 start could also make the stubborn coaches change the line up. Brick wall
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt very seriously they start 2-4, maybe 4-2.

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:

While I agree completely with you, I'll the first to step up and say I have absolutely loved some of our defensive coaches, especially the one we might all agree holds the most important role on the defensive staff, however, the time has come and frankly has been at the station for a while, for certain members of our staff to retire and/or move on. The philosophy on defense has to change, seriously, and I'm not talking 3-4 vs. 4-3, I'm talking Talent vs. Veteran Status.

The goal shouldn't be to keep guys in their spot as long as possible, it should be to field the most talented team. Frankly, if that had been our goal, Cam Heyward would've been starting a long time ago, Chris Carter wouldn't be wasting a roster spot, Ziggy Hood would've been replaced some time ago (finally he has been) and they would take addressing the NT position much more seriously.

I can totally dig the influx of speed to our defense, hopefully next season, they bring an influx of strength, but I'm also hoping that next year, we're looking at a fresh blood in the defensive coaching staff..I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:

I made the bold prediction we start 4-0.

Cleveland hasn't won here since 03, and they might be starting a Rookie, who LeBeau's defenses eat alive.

Ravens don't have Ray Rice, who has single handedly been a Steelers killer, and a revamped front 7 in their 2nd full game together.

The Bucs with a new HC, a QB who's never seen a zone blitz, new Oline, 2 rookies at key positions on offense, and a new defensive scheme.

Then there's the Panthers, who has a QB never face our D, no real WR's to speak of (Benjamin, Cotch, Avant are all slot types), and a revamped back half of the D. Not to mention a S who went from them to us, and if they don't think our team will pump as much out of Mike Mitchell as possible, they are mistaken.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: