Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PRESEASON WEEK 1: THE GREAT LAKES CLASSIC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins?
Detroit
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
The Good Guys
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Johnny Football
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
Hornbybrown
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
EZ Money
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
America
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 44

TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think Manziel gives us the best chance honestly. Our receiving unit (especially without Gordon) is going to struggle a bit getting open regularly, having a QB capable of moving the chains with his legs would be a big asset

Hoyer was throwing high because he was throwing off of his back foot, something that happens to QB's coming off of a knee injury. It's going to take him some time to work out of that funk in my honest opinion
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
If we want to win and make a playoff push this year, Hoyer gives us the better chance for that, no doubt in my mind. Not because he is great or anything, but he is decent, and Johnny will lose us more games than he wins us.

If we wanna develop Johnny, we start him as soon as he is ready to not completely embarrass himself, which would likely be within a month or two from now, maybe even week 1.

There is no right answer, cause it's all based on what the team's overall philosophy is.

Personally, I want to start Hoyer until he either gets hurt or totally sucks for a stretch of a couple games. If neither happens, it likely means we are looking at a playoff opportunity.

You are right. I honestly feel the opposite of you. Manziel gives us the best chance at playoffes because he is the wildcard. He can change everything.

Agree in a way, but how bout this.

I think Hoyer gives us a better chance to make the playoffs this year, but I think Manziel gives us a better chance to win the super bowl this year.

Ponder.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do want Johnny to WIN the job though. It's a great sign if he wins it based 100% on the coaches thinking he gives us the best chance to win.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
If we want to win and make a playoff push this year, Hoyer gives us the better chance for that, no doubt in my mind. Not because he is great or anything, but he is decent, and Johnny will lose us more games than he wins us.

If we wanna develop Johnny, we start him as soon as he is ready to not completely embarrass himself, which would likely be within a month or two from now, maybe even week 1.

There is no right answer, cause it's all based on what the team's overall philosophy is.

Personally, I want to start Hoyer until he either gets hurt or totally sucks for a stretch of a couple games. If neither happens, it likely means we are looking at a playoff opportunity.

You are right. I honestly feel the opposite of you. Manziel gives us the best chance at playoffes because he is the wildcard. He can change everything.

Agree in a way, but how bout this.

I think Hoyer gives us a better chance to make the playoffs this year, but I think Manziel gives us a better chance to win the super bowl this year.

Ponder.

I think Hoyer gives us a better chance at 7-9/8-8 and Manziel is 9-7/10-6.

Hoyer is smarter and more experienced. But Manziel has more talent and is more dangerous. Gonna be a fun year... hopefully.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/10/refo-browns-lions-preseason-week-1/

Nice report from the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, both did solid, but, I'd give Manziel the nod since that was his very first NFL game vs Hoyer's 5 years of experience.

I feel like Hoyer will give us the "play not to lose" factor and Manziel will give us the "play to win" factor. Basically, if the Browns are ahead I feel like Hoyer will try his best to just not throw an interception and kill the time; while Manziel will try to put up as many points as possible. Obviously the plays called play into this, but, just from what I've seen in Hoyer, he's more of a "safe" player.

If Manziel continues to improve, I don't see him not being the starter....it's better he learns right away and he seems to be an individual who thrives on pressure/challenges.

One last tad bit.......Our offense was a lot more exciting to watch with Manziel and the 2nd/3rd stringers then it was with Hoyer and the 1st team IMO.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how I try to come away from watching the game Saturday, I can't help but be excited for what Manziel brings to the table, and the added dimension he allows Shanny to take with the offense. I do think Hoyer exhibited more control of the offense, which is what is keeping him in this competition, whereas Johnny simply challenged the 2nd and 3rd team Lion's defense with his athleticism. I feel like you can't draw too much blood from the stone known as preseason game 1 though, so I am definitely advocating for Johnny to start a week from tonight... not only to see what he can do with the Browns first string offense, but to see how he handles the challenge of facing a first string defense as well.

Also, when I read people saying "Hoyer has the best chance to lead us to the playoffs, while Johnny has the best chance of taking the Browns to the Super Bowl" I understand what you're saying, but you're leaving out the "or" part of the statement that makes it what it is, as in "Johnny Manziel has the better chance to lead the Browns to the Super Bowl or lead them to a 5 and 11 season". It's the struggle between being happy with being average (Hoyer), or taking the risk of blowing another season in the pursuit of wanting to be great (Manziel)... at this point, I think JFF would be happy to take the team on his shoulders and "wreck the league" so I'm hoping he kills it Monday and never looks back.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/11/5990255/johnny-manziel-film-breakdown-browns-offense-2014-position-battle

PRetty good breakdown
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone slightly concerned that none of the QB's (and ultimately the entire offense) were able to get the ball in the endzone?

It kinda reminded me of last year.

Oh well.....we have something to build on moving forward

I love the running element that Manziel brings to the game and for that reason, I would like to see him start.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
Is anyone slightly concerned that none of the QB's (and ultimately the entire offense) were able to get the ball in the endzone?

I love the running element that Manziel brings to the game and for that reason, I would like to see him start.

Of course I'd like to see touchdowns over field goals, but I'm not putting too much on that in Week 1 of preseason. Austin had a huge redzone drop with Hoyer and Lewis had a huge redzone fumble with Manziel. I think the idea that "Offenses are behind defenses at this time of the year" is a cliche for a reason. Plus, the reality simply is that a new offense is again being installed, so you really can't expect it to function smoothly for some time.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:

Not to make excuses, but if not for Austin's drop, Gordon's drop and Lewis' fumble, we get in the endzone at least once.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
StewieRules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/11/5990255/johnny-manziel-film-breakdown-browns-offense-2014-position-battle

PRetty good breakdown

Very good break-down I thought, albeit through my fan-only untrained eyes.

Only concern I had was that, after that 2nd head-first slide, he jammed himself a bit ... you could see it on his face and he still had that look after his scramble out of bounds the next play or so. There was a report that medical staff looked at hime after that but he went back in. Maybe that little bit of a warning will keep him sliding like he did later - kid's gotta learn to protect himself. But I think he'll figure it out.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

Of course I'd like to see touchdowns over field goals, but I'm not putting too much on that in Week 1 of preseason. Austin had a huge redzone drop with Hoyer and Lewis had a huge redzone fumble with Manziel. I think the idea that "Offenses are behind defenses at this time of the year" is a cliche for a reason. Plus, the reality simply is that a new offense is again being installed, so you really can't expect it to function smoothly for some time.

When you say some time.....how long are we thinking? Laughing

The drops are things that happen throughout the course of a game, and to say well...if this didn't happen, then we woulda had a TD.....that doesn't really sit well with me.

I agree that it's early, and I am not ready to hit the panic button at all. I think it's realistic, however, that we see TD's, especially with the personnel being much better on offense than last year.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:

It kinda reminded me of every preseason ever

fify Sad
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

It kinda reminded me of every preseason ever

fify Sad

Yeah it is like most pre-seasons, but what I took away from it was....dang...last year (not during the pre-season) we struggled to score TD's.

I am just hoping it's not going to be the same thing this year. I am probably just over-thinking it, but.......I think THIS offense should be better, and I hope they clean things up by the time the season starts.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: