Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers lose DL Glenn Dorsey for the season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Actually I'm hoping this keeps Purcell on the 53. I think that kid has a HUGE upside. Doresy's injury may actually help keep him on the roster. He's a true NT. He's also young and cheap. They said he made the play of the day on defense after Dorsey got hurt, blowing up a run play on the goaline. I was afraid some team was going to snag him if we exposed him to waivers again this year. Hope this keeps him around, think he has 'future starter' written all over him.

I'm hoping we trade Demarcus Dobbs, personally. He's the odd man out, to me, but he's still a very capable rotational guy, so he has value. Even if it's only for a 7th, I'd trade him. Releasing someone kinda says "You're not good enough, we cut you". Trading, on the other hand, says "We're loaded, buddy, but we value you."

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
dan77733

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Not the biggest fan of Dobbs but I don't want to see him traded. Once you start unloading a player or two at any position, next thing you know, players start falling like dominoes. I would keep Dobbs.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:
^^^^^ Not the biggest fan of Dobbs but I don't want to see him traded. Once you start unloading a player or two at any position, next thing you know, players start falling like dominoes. I would keep Dobbs.

He doesn't really have the same versatility our other guys have. TJE and Dial can play both NT and DE, can play both the 3-men and 4-men fronts, if needed. Dobbs is more limited in that regard. If keeping Dobbs means risking losing someone else, I'd rather get something for him and gamble on the other guys picking up the slack. And there might not even be much slack to pick up. TJE is already a much better player than Dobbs. Dial has a lot more potential. There might simply not be room for him at all.

neezy007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
zappa13004 wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Welp, good thing we have a lot of DL depth, but it will definitely be tested now.
Lots of DL depth ? I.Williams, Dobbs, Carradine, Dial, Jerod-Eddie ? Lots of guy indeed but which one can play ?

Quote:
Mikey from Oakland wants to know what position do I think is the 49ers’ deepest.

BW: It’s a loaded roster so there are plenty of spots to choose from, but I have to go with the defensive line. It is so deep. The 49ers could keep 10 defensive linemen and every one of them is worthy of being in an NFL rotation. This group is going to be good for years to come. Young players such as Tony Jerod-Eddie, Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs, Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and rookie Kaleb Ramsey are all backups. But all have big potential.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisc...epest-position

They ALL can play Very Happy

And even if they couldn't? Tomsula can coach.

I was trying to tell this to a young guy the other day. He was telling me how he thinks some of the guys on his will be good while I was telling him I'm pretty sure a lot of the young guys on our team will be good. But I didn't want to tell him that the chances of our guys being good is way higher than his team mainly because our coaching staff is loaded to the max and they can coach up pretty much anyone lol.
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
dan77733 wrote:

He doesn't really have the same versatility our other guys have. TJE and Dial can play both NT and DE, can play both the 3-men and 4-men fronts, if needed. Dobbs is more limited in that regard. If keeping Dobbs means risking losing someone else, I'd rather get something for him and gamble on the other guys picking up the slack. And there might not even be much slack to pick up. TJE is already a much better player than Dobbs. Dial has a lot more potential. There might simply not be room for him at all.

Excatly. I was actually shocked when they decided to bring Dobbs back. But then it made sense when I looked at the big picture. Dial and Tank were coming off injury and really still question marks. And Williams injury being worst than ppl knew and the fact he may not be ready for TC, which he wasnt. Why not tender him at a relatively cheap price? But now with Tank and Dial looking like sure fire draft steals early on and Ramsey impressing during OTAs when he was healthy, might as well get something of value for Dobbs. People said the same thing when we traded Cam Johnson and Haralson. Defense never missed either. Dorsey will be a UFA at year's end. We need to keep young guys like Ramsey and Purcell. Guys who may not be ready to start at this moment, barring injury but have enough talent to realize their potential down the road and that sacrificing a few vets might have to be made.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Actually I'm hoping this keeps Purcell on the 53. I think that kid has a HUGE upside. Doresy's injury may actually help keep him on the roster. He's a true NT. He's also young and cheap. They said he made the play of the day on defense after Dorsey got hurt, blowing up a run play on the goaline. I was afraid some team was going to snag him if we exposed him to waivers again this year. Hope this keeps him around, think he has 'future starter' written all over him.

Purcell and Morris were my two favorites from last year. I have to agree with your assessment of him. He was a force in the middle, and had a great nose for the ball. Still think he's going to be behind Dial and Ramsey on the pecking order at NT, and the team may opt for the other DE or another position instead anyway. Jerrod-Eddie was a nice backup there, Ian Williams should be back soon as the starter, and Dial is very likely to be on the team. So I don't see a lot of hope for him on the 53, but I'd be excited to see him there.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Eric Branch:

Quote:
Spoke to physician re: #49ers NT Glenn Dorsey. Typical recovery timetable for surgically repaired biceps tears: 3-4 months.

If that is the case, he could actually return this year after the bye week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad for Dorsey. I think was one of the most under-rated, or at least under-appreciated guys on our D last year. He played really solid in the middle. I was expected that with a second year under Tomsula he might turn into the kind of dominant force people were thinking he might be when he first came out. Hopefully one of the other guys can step in there and we won't see too big of a drop off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

Purcell and Morris were my two favorites from last year. I have to agree with your assessment of him. He was a force in the middle, and had a great nose for the ball. Still think he's going to be behind Dial and Ramsey on the pecking order at NT, and the team may opt for the other DE or another position instead anyway. Jerrod-Eddie was a nice backup there, Ian Williams should be back soon as the starter, and Dial is very likely to be on the team. So I don't see a lot of hope for him on the 53, but I'd be excited to see him there.

I think he can sneak in. Right now I have Cowboy, Ray Mac, Dial, Tank, TJE, and Purcell making the 53 with Williams starting on IR with a designation for return and Ramsey likely being stashed on IR for the year. Ramsey had a slew of injuries in college and they might just take a year and let the medical staff clean up everything and wait to let him loose in 2015.
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

I think he can sneak in. Right now I have Cowboy, Ray Mac, Dial, Tank, TJE, and Purcell making the 53 with Williams starting on IR with a designation for return and Ramsey likely being stashed on IR for the year. Ramsey had a slew of injuries in college and they might just take a year and let the medical staff clean up everything and wait to let him loose in 2015.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of touch and mind, but is there not only one I.R. designation of return for each team to use? Are we not using it for Bowman?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Out of touch and mind, but is there not only one I.R. designation of return for each team to use? Are we not using it for Bowman?

Didn't we have both Manningham and Crabtree last year on one of those lists? I think they were both on the PUP list, though, not technically the IR. Manningham was allowed to return after 6 weeks, and Crabtree after 12, right? I guess the difference between PUP and IR is that with the IR, you get a roster exemption, whereas with the PUP, those players use up spots on the 53. I think Bowman is on the PUP list, and should be activated by the bye week. Dorsey could end up on the IR with a designation to return (although I don't even know if that really exists.. I'm not really familiar with that one. I always thought a player went on IR and never returned for that year. it was like pulling the plug on the hopes of seeing him on the field altogether). I honestly don't know anymore... LOOK BEHIND YOU! *runs away*

Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

Didn't we have both Manningham and Crabtree last year on one of those lists? I think they were both on the PUP list, though, not technically the IR. Manningham was allowed to return after 6 weeks, and Crabtree after 12, right? I guess the difference between PUP and IR is that with the IR, you get a roster exemption, whereas with the PUP, those players use up spots on the 53. I think Bowman is on the PUP list, and should be activated by the bye week. Dorsey could end up on the IR with a designation to return (although I don't even know if that really exists.. I'm not really familiar with that one. I always thought a player went on IR and never returned for that year. it was like pulling the plug on the hopes of seeing him on the field altogether). I honestly don't know anymore... LOOK BEHIND YOU! *runs away*

I think that is the way it used to be. They changed it so you could designate one player to return a couple years ago. I don't know that we used that on anyone last year, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
imani

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't get too injured guys. I love our rivalry and prefer us at full strength (glad Bowman will be back in time for our games later on this year).

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: