Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re: Josh Brent
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
There are 90 bodies in Camp. A good amount of which you have never heard of and have no shot. Brent has a chance to make an impact.

The mother of his best friend forgave him. His teammates forgave him. I won't hold judgment when those far more effect than I have embraced him.

Let him compete. If he makes it, great. If not, oh well - nothing lost.

Well said TO, I wonder if some of the guys on here would be so hellbent on getting rid of someone if it was one of their close friends or family members. Would they be so quick to shut them out and leave them to fend for themselves? They guy majorly screwed up, I get that, I don't know if they guy feels any remorse. But apparently the Cowboys FO have some faith in him . I am sure they have discussed it and decided as a group to support him so I see no problem in bringing him back. We all entitled to our own opinion but I am amazed how angry some of you get discussing Josh Brent. I look forward to seeing some football Thursday and see a bunch of guys who won't be on the opening day roster Smile

The thing with me is that Brent has been given multiple chances to make something of himself. Let's count them...

1. Given a college scholarship. He screwed it up by driving drunk.

2. Allowed back on the team. He screwed it up by being academically ineligible.

3. Taken by Dallas in the Supplemental Draft. He screwed it up by driving drunk and killing a team mate.

4. Allowed to stay out of jail, but ordered to wear ankle bracelet and adhere to monitoring provisions. Screwed it up by violating his monitoring provisions and should have been thrown in jail if only to protect him from himself.

5. Judge denied prosecutor's request to revoke bond and ordered Brent to have additional monitoring provisions. He screwed this chance up by failing a drug test, while awaiting trial.

6. Judge still allowed him to stay out of jail. He screwed up and failed yet another drug test and went to jail to await trial.

7. Now, that he has fulfilled the slap on the wrist penalty the judge gave him, he is probably going to get reinstated and allowed back on the Cowboys team.

I am all for giving someone a 2nd or even a 3rd chance. Lord knows I'm not perfect and made a couple of mistakes when I was younger. If I hadn't been given a 2nd chance, I wouldn't be the man I am today. But why does Josh Brent deserve a 7th chance? He has proven repeatedly that he is untrustworthy. He obviously didn't care about his college or pro teammates or he'd have done right by them after screwing up the first time with each unit. He doesn't respect the star and what it means to be a Dallas Cowboy and shouldn't be allowed to wear it.

also failed drug test while wearing monitoring device, and device detected he continued to use alcohol even though he was instructed not to drink by attorney and judge.

HT, Some people feel like wearing the star is a privilege while others just see it as a symbol nothing more.

Does the team really need another distraction this season to go along with Dez's contract, Romo's back, or Garrett's future?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 bodies in camp? 90? If we knew the complete criminal history of all 90 of these testosterone filled 20 somethings I would be more than willing to bet, Josh Brent isn't the only one who has done something this irresponsible. Most criminal activity happens from age 14-25, and around 75% of all crime is committed by a male. It's a mathematical probability that one of these "lesser knowns" have some of the same demons as Josh Brent. Brent is just famous for his because of the timing, his mild celebrity, and the grave consequence.

I'm not just talking convictions here either, because I would be more than willing to bet that Josh Brent isn't the only one of these sometimes privileged star athletes to receive multiple undeserved chances. Of course, that's all speculation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
90 bodies in camp? 90? If we knew the complete criminal history of all 90 of these testosterone filled 20 somethings I would be more than willing to bet, Josh Brent isn't the only one who has done something this irresponsible. Most criminal activity happens from age 14-25, and around 75% of all crime is committed by a male. It's a mathematical probability that one of these "lesser knowns" have some of the same demons as Josh Brent. Brent is just famous for his because of the timing, his mild celebrity, and the grave consequence.

I'm not just talking convictions here either, because I would be more than willing to bet that Josh Brent isn't the only one of these sometimes privileged star athletes to receive multiple undeserved chances. Of course, that's all speculation.

x 1,000,000

Fascinating that most of the posters here can throw so many stones from their glass whorehouses
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
TheGame316 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

x 1,000,000

Fascinating that most of the posters here can throw so many stones from their glass whorehouses

im going to third that and say that out of the ~50k posters on this very site, probably ~48k of them have done at least a *few* illegal things.

Matts, I whole heartedly agree. I made a pretty bad mistake by hanging out with and trusting the wrong kind of people earlier in my life. Luckily, I was given a second chance afterwards. I wouldn't be the man or father I am today without that second chance. The thing is though, I learned from my mistake and became a better/stronger person. I didn't need a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th chance like Josh Brent. That's why I am so against him. He's apparently too selfish and/or ignorant to learn from his mistakes.

EDIT - Matts, I quoted your post before you deleted it. Laughing

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I deleted that post but you ninja'd me. I only read the last post when responding. After I posted, I went back and read your argument and realized that my comment was unnecessary.
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

x 1,000,000

Get it straight I live in a glass apartment, and its a brothel not a whorehouse.

That's the point of mistakes is we are suppose to learn from them. Not keep repeating them over and over again. That is my argument

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@clarencehilljr 59s
And the word is Josh Brent's visit with the commissioner today didn't just go well but "very well"

^^^Deadpulse
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First preseason game, and I am already opening up to the idea of a 350 fat guy who doesnt get pushed around in the middle.
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Minter seems OK with the 3rd team. We should promote him up to the 2nd team and see how he does.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw on SportsCenter that Josh Brent will be reinstated but will still face a suspension. Even though he took a year away from football it wasn't enough...

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
Just saw on SportsCenter that Josh Brent will be reinstated but will still face a suspension. Even though he took a year away from football it wasn't enough...

I say 4 to 6 weeks. Then he is back. I hate to say I told you so, but I called this one months ago. It's ok, we could use all of the help we can get.
Superfluous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He self-suspended for a year, why add more?
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superfluous wrote:
He self-suspended for a year, why add more?

Because he freaking killed someone and should probably still be in jail.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 5m
Quote:
Josh Brent reinstated to Cowboys but not eligible to return until at least Week 11.

Quote:
Brent would be able to attend team meetings Week 7 and begin practicing fully Week 9 IF he complies with conditions of reinstatement.

Week 11 it is.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL 5m
Quote:
Josh Brent reinstated to Cowboys but not eligible to return until at least Week 11.

Quote:
Brent would be able to attend team meetings Week 7 and begin practicing fully Week 9 IF he complies with conditions of reinstatement.

Week 11 it is.

You aren't giving him enough credit. I fully believe in his ability to [inappropriate/removed] away every chance he's handed. Based off of his past actions, he'll fail a drug/alcohol test long before Week 11.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: