Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re: Josh Brent
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Think we need to reserve judgement until Goddell makes his ruling on the matter. Because if he is suspend for the season or 8 games this is a mute point.

Agree 1000%, HT with your post. This guy has not shown us anything more than he is a marginal player at best.

I think he showed he was a marginal player, at *WORST*.

At no point did he ever look 'bad' or 'below average'. He simply looked average. And that was with very min experience.

But, I do agree that I dont get the fascination with him from the staff.
atran35

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the Coaching Staff see something. Give him a SHOT. If not...cut him.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Josh Brent we last saw would definitely be a starter on this defensive line next to Melton. He was really starting to come into his own, and we were discussing contract extension on here.

That Josh Brent makes this team better. However, I have very serious doubts he is currently that player. I think the best case scenario is for him to work his way back and have an impact in 2015.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see him being on a Practice Squad this year. Get in shape...stay in rehab...and see him in camp 2015.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to have him back. I like the Josh Brent of '12 better then any of our current 1-tech. If not in proper shape, I would love to get him on the practise squad and see what he can do next training camp. If he at all can adjust to the scheme, or if he will forever be a 3-4 NT backup. Don't forget, in '12 I remember many speaking of him really have taken a step and looking like our starter for the future.

- I think Josh Brent have been punished enough for his actions mentally, I have no issue seeing him back. We have acted like a real team for him after the inciddent, and the team have showen how much they care for him. I have no issue with him being around the team, and no issue about having him in the locker. He haven't had a bad influence, so I don't see the problem.
Superfluous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's played too much to be allowed on practice squad.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Cowboys are ready to give him a chance;

Quote:
According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones said that Brent is scheduled to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday. If Brent is cleared by Goodell to resume his career, the Cowboys will free up a roster spot to bring him back to Dallas.

“We will, yes we will,” Jones said. “In other words, we wouldn’t have it today, but we will make a roster spot.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/05/jerry-jones-josh-brent-has-a-roster-spot-waiting-if-reinstated/

Superfluous, you are probably right. Don't really know the rules for being allowed on a practise squad.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:

Quote:
According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones said that Brent is scheduled to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday. If Brent is cleared by Goodell to resume his career, the Cowboys will free up a roster spot to bring him back to Dallas.

“We will, yes we will,” Jones said. “In other words, we wouldn’t have it today, but we will make a roster spot.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/05/jerry-jones-josh-brent-has-a-roster-spot-waiting-if-reinstated/

________

Superfluous, you are probably right. Don't really know the rules for being allowed on a practise squad.

That pisses me off so much. Someone who has worked his arse off, does the right things, cares about his teammates and who respects both the game and the star is going to get cut so Brent can have his 8th chance. That disgusts me.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

Quote:

________

That pisses me off so much. Someone who has worked his arse off, does the right things, cares about his teammates and who respects both the game and the star is going to get cut so Brent can have his 8th chance. That disgusts me.

I have no issue with this. You can do all the right things, but if you don't have the talent to play in this league you don't have it. No reason to hold on to a guy that you know you are going to cut anyway, when you can sign a guy that the team know and likes, who have proven that he can atleast be a capable backup.

If you are a real team, you don't ignore a teammember when he needs it the most. Brent have asked for permision to continue to play from Browns family and he got it. If the family don't have a problem, I don't have a problem.

- If he mess it up again though, it's over.
Romotastic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
htfryar wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

Quote:

________

I have no issue with this. You can do all the right things, but if you don't have the talent to play in this league you don't have it. No reason to hold on to a guy that you know you are going to cut anyway, when you can sign a guy that the team know and likes, who have proven that he can atleast be a capable backup.

If you are a real team, you don't ignore a teammember when he needs it the most. Brent have asked for permision to continue to play from Browns family and he got it. If the family don't have a problem, I don't have a problem.

At this point there are 90+ bodies vying for 53 spots. I have no problem cutting a "camp body" for Brent. To be honest, the D-line needs all the help it can get. It is, and will be, one of the worst in the league.
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
htfryar wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

Quote:

________

If you are a real team you don't keep giving a troubled guy chance after chance while you expect everyone else to be boy scouts.

You can support a ex team mate while still not compromising your principles regarding the team as a whole.

Would rather give guys like Ken Bishop a chance rather than giving Brent another chance. This is an NFL football team not a half way house.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 90 bodies in Camp. A good amount of which you have never heard of and have no shot. Brent has a chance to make an impact.

The mother of his best friend forgave him. His teammates forgave him. I won't hold judgment when those far more effect than I have embraced him.

Let him compete. If he makes it, great. If not, oh well - nothing lost.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
There are 90 bodies in Camp. A good amount of which you have never heard of and have no shot. Brent has a chance to make an impact.

The mother of his best friend forgave him. His teammates forgave him. I won't hold judgment when those far more effect than I have embraced him.

Well said TO, I wonder if some of the guys on here would be so hellbent on getting rid of someone if it was one of their close friends or family members. Would they be so quick to shut them out and leave them to fend for themselves? They guy majorly screwed up, I get that, I don't know if they guy feels any remorse. But apparently the Cowboys FO have some faith in him . I am sure they have discussed it and decided as a group to support him so I see no problem in bringing him back. We all entitled to our own opinion but I am amazed how angry some of you get discussing Josh Brent. I look forward to seeing some football Thursday and see a bunch of guys who won't be on the opening day roster Smile
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wrestled with the Brent issue. On the one hand I am always going to be disgusted by what he did. On the other, we all need a shot at redemption. If Brown's mother can forgive Brent, then who am I not to forgive him?

From a football perspective I doubt if he is in playing shape. That being said, Lord knows we have a big need on the DL. Bring him into camp. If he is nothing more than a camp body so be it. If it turns out he can play then we have someone who can fill a need.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Well said TO, I wonder if some of the guys on here would be so hellbent on getting rid of someone if it was one of their close friends or family members. Would they be so quick to shut them out and leave them to fend for themselves? They guy majorly screwed up, I get that, I don't know if they guy feels any remorse. But apparently the Cowboys FO have some faith in him . I am sure they have discussed it and decided as a group to support him so I see no problem in bringing him back. We all entitled to our own opinion but I am amazed how angry some of you get discussing Josh Brent. I look forward to seeing some football Thursday and see a bunch of guys who won't be on the opening day roster :-)

The thing with me is that Brent has been given multiple chances to make something of himself. Let's count them...

1. Given a college scholarship. He screwed it up by driving drunk.

2. Allowed back on the team. He screwed it up by being academically ineligible.

3. Taken by Dallas in the Supplemental Draft. He screwed it up by driving drunk and killing a team mate.

4. Allowed to stay out of jail, but ordered to wear ankle bracelet and adhere to monitoring provisions. Screwed it up by violating his monitoring provisions and should have been thrown in jail if only to protect him from himself.

5. Judge denied prosecutor's request to revoke bond and ordered Brent to have additional monitoring provisions. He screwed this chance up by failing a drug test, while awaiting trial.

6. Judge still allowed him to stay out of jail. He screwed up and failed yet another drug test and went to jail to await trial.

7. Now, that he has fulfilled the slap on the wrist penalty the judge gave him, he is probably going to get reinstated and allowed back on the Cowboys team.

I am all for giving someone a 2nd or even a 3rd chance. Lord knows I'm not perfect and made a couple of mistakes when I was younger. If I hadn't been given a 2nd chance, I wouldn't be the man I am today. But why does Josh Brent deserve a 7th chance? He has proven repeatedly that he is untrustworthy. He obviously didn't care about his college or pro teammates or he'd have done right by them after screwing up the first time with each unit. He doesn't respect the star and what it means to be a Dallas Cowboy and shouldn't be allowed to wear it.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: