Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys sign LT Tyron Smith to an 8-year, $110M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the idea of this contract. A probowl LT locked up until he is 33 on a salary that will be 30-40% below market value halfway through.

Just need him to keep doing exactly as he has for 10 more years, with no major injuries. Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years for 11 a year, sounds like a good deal after the shock of the big number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge deal, but if that's what it was going to take/that's what the going rate is, I'd have given it to him as well. an elite LT as young as he is, I'd do whatever it takes to keep him as well. The only thing I was "surprised" about, if anything, was just how many year he got.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great deal for the Boys. When I clicked on this title, "Cowboys sign left tackle Tyron Smith to jaw-dropping contract extension" I expected more. $110 million is about what I would expect for a ten year deal with a 'probowl' left tackle. I'm sure the deal will look even better in a few years.
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

It's not a huge difference, but through 3 seasons, Solder has outperformed Smith in terms of yards lost to sacks + penalties (Solder: 175.5; Smith: 231). [source] [source]

The Pats also have more success running to Solder's side than the Cowboys do running to Smith's. [source]

Sack yardage is such a misleading stat in this case. Brady doesnt move much. Romo is more elusive and moves around more which leads to more sack yardage. Not mention Romo hangs on to the ball more.

The penalties are still very much in Solder's favor.

I never really thought of it that way but you're right. Solder is a better LT than Tyron because of penalties. I wasn't sure anyone thought about it that way, in fact.

EDIT:

I decided to click on your "sources." I'm wondering if you actually looked at them?

Tyron had 8 penalties to Solders 5.

Solder plays in front of a QB who has the 2nd fastest release time in the NFL and STILL allowed 9.5 sacks!

Romo holds the ball longer than most and Tyron allowed 1.5 sacks!

The Cowboys lost 12.5 yards because of sacks allowed by Tyron Smith, the Patriots lost 62.5 yards because of Solders allowed sacks.

I'm not huge sacks allowed to grade a LT but when the eyeball test tells you that Tyron is better AND the stats back it up?

Set. Point. Match!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this deal! Tyron imo is a top 3 OT right this second and he is only 23 yrs old. I think within the next yr or 2 he will become the very best LT in the NFL for yrs to come. Whoever tried to say he is average and not top 15 obviously knows nothing about football and lost any credibility with that statement. Even the biggest Cowboys hater in the world can't honestly say Tyron Smith is not a fantastic LT.

BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

It's not a huge difference, but through 3 seasons, Solder has outperformed Smith in terms of yards lost to sacks + penalties (Solder: 175.5; Smith: 231). [source] [source]

The Pats also have more success running to Solder's side than the Cowboys do running to Smith's. [source]

Sack yardage is such a misleading stat in this case. Brady doesnt move much. Romo is more elusive and moves around more which leads to more sack yardage. Not mention Romo hangs on to the ball more.

I never really thought of it that way but you're right. Solder is a better LT than Tyron because of penalties. I wasn't sure anyone thought about it that way, in fact.

EDIT:

I decided to click on your "sources." I'm wondering if you actually looked at them?

Solder plays in front of a QB who has the 2nd fastest release time in the NFL and STILL allowed 9.5 sacks!

The Cowboys lost 12.5 yards because of sacks allowed by Tyron Smith, the Patriots lost 62.5 yards because of Solders allowed sacks.

I'm not huge sacks allowed to grade a LT but when the eyeball test tells you that Tyron is better AND the stats back it up?

Set. Point. Match!

Except he was talking about over the past 3 years to which the point is he is right... Solder was easily better for the first 2 years. However, for about the last 20 games Smith has taken a turn and is the better player NOW.

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

EDIT:

Set. Point. Match!

Except he was talking about over the past 3 years to which the point is he is right... Solder was easily better for the first 2 years. However, for about the last 20 games Smith has taken a turn and is the better player NOW.

Well you have to take into account Tyron was only 20 yrs old when drafted. He right now is only just a pup at 23 yrs old. Imagine how much better he can still become? Solder may have been better the first yr or 2 but yes, Tyron this last season was imo and arguably the best LT in football.

Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers smack you in the face, at first glance. But yeah, when you look at it, this is a pretty great deal for the Cowboys.

They get their franchise LT locked down for pretty much his whole career, and he's guaranteed to become a very rich man as a result. 23 is absurdly, ridiculously young for a guy to be a three year veteran.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout them cowboys?!

Good job Cowboys. I hope they get better because we have to see them on primetime anyways so hopefully they become a top 6 team
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great contract for the Cowboys. They have Tyron Smith locked in for a long time. It gives them great flexibility in case something bad were to happen. I don't understand a lot of the comments here regarding the deal. When this contract is completed it will look nothing like what we see now. His contract will be edited more than a doctoral thesis. Tyron Smith is not overrated. He's not an average player. He was a top-10 LT last year. Arguments can be made for top-5. This season he should move into top 5 lock territory for the rest of his prime. I really liked this guy coming out of USC. Thought Dallas made a great pick. Couldn't ask for more from this guy so far.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO at Jacobys Homey and Tzimisce with their ridiculous statements

As for the deal itself, Tyron has earned it and is a top 3 LT and is only 23. It's also a great deal for the Cowboys as they get an elite player for his entire prime on a team friendly deal that pissed off his agent and the NFLPA - that's a massive win in itself.

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: