Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys sign LT Tyron Smith to an 8-year, $110M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great contract. I'm sure most of the guarantees are in the first few years. After that, you've got one of the best guys on your team locked up forever, pretty much. And he's really not making a whole lot (comparatively) on a per year basis.

He's done enough to deserve this. No doubt. And he's still learning the position. It's not at all unreasonable to believe he continues to progress. And he's already, what, a top five-ish LT?

Love this contract for the 'Boys.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
*sigh*

Quote:
@JordanRoss08 14m
Dez chatting with T. Will before practice. Lots of laughs. But I thought Dez was mad about Smiths contract? #NonStory

Quote:
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 21m
#cowboys & Dez HAVE exchanged proposals. Offers on table. As @1053thefan BryanBroaddus @Spags52 report it, SJones essentially confirms.

Quote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 23m
When camp started Dez and Tyron Smith deals were equally close to be done. So Dez is close. Absurd to think one deal negates other.

Dez knows a deal is coming. The Cowboys have made it clear that one will be done shortly as they have plenty of remaining cap space to get one done, even after the Smith extension.

And Dez almost immediately tweeted out congratulations to Tyron after the deal was announced.

Quote:
Just to be clear Dez is not upset that Tryon got a 110 million dollar deal. Not at all. He's very happy for his teammate.

Loud enough to hear across lot. "@Rubethedude: Ridiculous that you would assume this @GregSimmonsKSAT"

Being peeved doesn't mean you're mad your teammate got paid.

Dez has no reason to be upset in any way about this. He's going to get paid. So whatever he was upset about likely had nothing to do with the contract and that tweet was an attempt to generate a story.

^^^mack
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:

Yup. Silly to assume that Dez is mad at Smith or mad at another teammate, he has no reason to be. He knows he's going to get paid and he knows his teammates are trying to get paid as well. It's just media making a story out of nothing.

And this is coming from a self-proclaimed Dez hater.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 18 receptions, 168 yards, 9 first downs, 1 TD - 3 rushes, 49 yards, 2 first downs
Corey White - 16 tackles, 1 fumble recovery

Last edited by domepatrol91 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matter of fact...

Quote:
@DezBryant 3h
@GregSimmonsKSAT what?????

So. I'm sorry, but this is just another lame attempt by crap journalists to create a story.

^^^mack
Brian23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Yup. Silly to assume that Dez is mad at Smith or mad at another teammate, he has no reason to be. He knows he's going to get paid and he knows his teammates are trying to get paid as well. It's just media making a story out of nothing.

And this is coming from a self-proclaimed Dez hater.

Whatever he heard, he linked it to Smiths signing. Regardless, just passing it along. There's as much evidence to ignore it as there is to accept it currently.
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
There's as much evidence to ignore it as there is to accept it currently.

If by evidence you mean speculation, sure.

Speculate all you want, but common sense says there is no reason for Dez to be upset. In fact, I consider this a team friendly deal. Dez should be happy, more room for him to negotiate now.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 18 receptions, 168 yards, 9 first downs, 1 TD - 3 rushes, 49 yards, 2 first downs
Corey White - 16 tackles, 1 fumble recovery
DaBoys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

It's not a huge difference, but through 3 seasons, Solder has outperformed Smith in terms of yards lost to sacks + penalties (Solder: 175.5; Smith: 231). [source] [source]

The Pats also have more success running to Solder's side than the Cowboys do running to Smith's. [source]

Sack yardage is such a misleading stat in this case. Brady doesnt move much. Romo is more elusive and moves around more which leads to more sack yardage. Not mention Romo hangs on to the ball more.

The penalties are still very much in Solder's favor.

I never really thought of it that way but you're right. Solder is a better LT than Tyron because of penalties. I wasn't sure anyone thought about it that way, in fact.

EDIT:

I decided to click on your "sources." I'm wondering if you actually looked at them?

Tyron had 8 penalties to Solders 5.

Solder plays in front of a QB who has the 2nd fastest release time in the NFL and STILL allowed 9.5 sacks!

Romo holds the ball longer than most and Tyron allowed 1.5 sacks!

The Cowboys lost 12.5 yards because of sacks allowed by Tyron Smith, the Patriots lost 62.5 yards because of Solders allowed sacks.

I'm not huge sacks allowed to grade a LT but when the eyeball test tells you that Tyron is better AND the stats back it up?

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Gmen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Imagine the payday JPP is going to demand when he gets four sacks on Smith this year. Wink

Smith is a good player young player. However, there is talk that this contract make may it very difficult to resign Dez Bryant. And from a on the field contribution standpoint, there is no doubt in my mind that Bryant is the better player.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Smith is a good player young player. However, there is talk that this contract make may it very difficult to resign Dez Bryant. And from a on the field contribution standpoint, there is no doubt in my mind that Bryant is the better player.

Talk from people who have no idea what they're talking about.

It's been stated multiple times in this thread already that the Cowboys still have $10MM in cap room and that a deal for Dez is imminent. Tyron's extension in no way whatsoever inhibits the team from extending Dez.

^^^mack
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Talk from people who have no idea what they're talking about.

It's been stated multiple times in this thread already that the Cowboys still have $10MM in cap room and that a deal for Dez is imminent. Tyron's extension in no way whatsoever inhibits the team from extending Dez.

Yay for Ian Rapoport..

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Iggles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great contract for JT because he gets a ton of guaranteed money up front, and the Cowboys now have him locked in at market rate (or lower) for a guy of his caliber, at least for the next few years. That said, eight year deals are basically never eight year deals. By the end of this, JT will have held out for more money/leveraged holding out into a favorable extension or, alternatively, the Cowboys will have axed him due to cap concerns. That's not a bad thing, either. The eight year thing is tangential to the fact that Dallas now has their guy at LT for the foreseeable future and at a very reasonable price, given rising cap figures.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome deal for the Cowboys. The last 5 years of the contract have no guarantees because all the prorated bonus money will go on the 2 remaining years of the existing contract and the first 3 years of the extension. Unless of course there's a clause hidden in there to make some of his salary guaranteed in the later years if he hits a performance bonus or something like that.

If he suffers a career ending injury, the Cowboys will have no problem getting out of this contract after the 2015 season assuming they don't restructure this contract.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

It's not a huge difference, but through 3 seasons, Solder has outperformed Smith in terms of yards lost to sacks + penalties (Solder: 175.5; Smith: 231). [source] [source]

The Pats also have more success running to Solder's side than the Cowboys do running to Smith's. [source]

Sack yardage is such a misleading stat in this case. Brady doesnt move much. Romo is more elusive and moves around more which leads to more sack yardage. Not mention Romo hangs on to the ball more.

Again, context.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
MightyMouse07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM TYRON SMITH: Late last week, the Cowboys approached me with a deal I told my agents I wanted to sign. My agents explained the pros and cons of this deal versus one that may be shorter term and/or higher guarantee. After careful consideration, I decided this long term deal was exactly what I wanted. Over the past three years, the Cowboys organization and Jones Family have helped me through trying times and I felt this was my opportunity to return the gratitude. I am beyond grateful for the Cowboys staff, my teammates, and the fans, and wanted to ensure I was locked in as a "Cowboy for Life". I want to thank everyone for their support and look forward to having a star on my helmet for the remainder of my career.
-Tyron Smith
[/quote]

That's the kind of stuff you want to hear and see from players.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I never really thought of it that way but you're right. Solder is a better LT than Tyron because of penalties. I wasn't sure anyone thought about it that way, in fact.

EDIT:

I decided to click on your "sources." I'm wondering if you actually looked at them?

Tyron had 8 penalties to Solders 5.

Solder plays in front of a QB who has the 2nd fastest release time in the NFL and STILL allowed 9.5 sacks!

Romo holds the ball longer than most and Tyron allowed 1.5 sacks!

The Cowboys lost 12.5 yards because of sacks allowed by Tyron Smith, the Patriots lost 62.5 yards because of Solders allowed sacks.

I'm not huge sacks allowed to grade a LT but when the eyeball test tells you that Tyron is better AND the stats back it up?

Not sure what he's trying to say. TS is a top 5 LT. Solder is not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: