Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers sign GM Ted Thompson to a long-term deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywindO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
I still don't know how Thompson drafting arguably the best qb in the game at #24 overall is a negative towards him. This argument that is being made is so backwards. I'm just glad TT drafted a QB that wins NFCN titles and a SB. I don't care how the team is made up as long as they continue being a super bowl threat year in and out.

Because internet logic. The trolls have made their stance clear, there is no changing the minds of trolls, so why bother. The Rodgers pick was hugely disputed with Favre having multiple good years left. But hey screw facts and logic, I wanna troll.

Not to say that I don't think drafting Rodgers was a good move by Thompson, I just don't think it's really a shining moment of brilliance, nor do I consider it a risky move. Thompson took Rodgers, a guy considered to be a possible #1 overall pick for a team with an aging QB. It was a good value. Good is selling it short even since the pick far exceeded the expected value. I'd also add that finding a franchise QB has way more to do with luck than talent and skill evaluation and it's not inaccurate at all to say that Thompson and the Packers got lucky with how well Rodgers turned out.

Thompson is a great GM and considered by many to be amongst the best in the business because of what of how he put Rodgers into the best position to succeed. Thompson found him a good head coach and QB mentor in McCarthy. He found him different weapons to throw too or hand the ball off too. It always seems like every year there's another name emerging out of Green Bay(in the form of names like Spencer Havner, James Starks, or Jarret Boykin). He's willing to let talented players walk and sign for big money with other teams because he already has replacements in place. He signs impactful free agents(granted I don't have high hopes for Peppers this year but that's just part of the risk of the business) and UDFAs. He's a GM who finds value where others don't.

Maybe I just have a different mindset for evaluating GMs than most people though. For a team to rise to the top from the bottom, it takes a lot of luck. Way more luck than skillful talent evaluation at least. You either have to construct a terrible team to put yourself into position to draft a guy like Andrew Luck or hope that some other players break out and rise up to star status. It's easy to say a GM failed because they couldn't find a franchise QB, but that's just ignorance since most of the time, a franchise QB just isn't there to be found. A team rising to top tier doesn't make a GM good. That makes them lucky. When that team stays at top tier status over the course of multiple years, that's when you know you have a good GM.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
I still don't know how Thompson drafting arguably the best qb in the game at #24 overall is a negative towards him. This argument that is being made is so backwards. I'm just glad TT drafted a QB that wins NFCN titles and a SB. I don't care how the team is made up as long as they continue being a super bowl threat year in and out.

Because internet logic. The trolls have made their stance clear, there is no changing the minds of trolls, so why bother. The Rodgers pick was hugely disputed with Favre having multiple good years left. But hey screw facts and logic, I wanna troll.

Not to say that I don't think drafting Rodgers was a good move by Thompson, I just don't think it's really a shining moment of brilliance, nor do I consider it a risky move. Thompson took Rodgers, a guy considered to be a possible #1 overall pick for a team with an aging QB.

You really can't understand the risk associated with that move unless you were immersed in the Packerr/Favre culture at the time. That was a MASSIVE gamble.
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People on here act like the 49ers, Seahawks, etc have surpassed the packers over the last couple of years while the truth is the Packesr have been the most injured team the past 3 years while those teams have been one of the more healthier teams in the league and that alone makes a huge difference in head to head matchups.
BlueMoon25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornOnDaCobb wrote:
People on here act like the 49ers, Seahawks, etc have surpassed the packers over the last couple of years while the truth is the Packesr have been the most injured team the past 3 years while those teams have been one of the more healthier teams in the league and that alone makes a huge difference in head to head matchups.

I'd take Aaron Rodgers over Kap and Wilson anyday. Heck even Drew Brees, but I think the Packers really been screwed by injuries the most. Like dang.....every week it seems like a player was out for them. ;/
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

That is the mark of a GM who was great from 2005-2010 and has been coasting on it ever since, with continuously diminishing returns.

11-5, 10-6, 15-1, 11-5, 8-7-1.

Five consecutive playoff appearances.

What diminishing returns?

Nnivolcm wrote:

While I agree for the most part, I do think that both Thompson and McCarthy are both over rated because of Rodgers.

Mike McCarthy coached the Green Bay Packers before Aaron Rodgers was the starter. Ted Thompson was the general manager before Aaron Rodgers was the starter. Both of them were established before Rodgers played, especially Thompson. What do you know? McCarthy and Thompson are highly respected/regarded around the league. What do you know about any of it? What do you know about Mike McCarthy other the basics of his schemes you see on TV? Explain to me how these guys are overvalued. I would love to hear it.

Nnivolcm wrote:

I don't know the Packers' record with Rodgers off the top of my head, but I know it's a lot better than the 2-5-1 they went without him last year. Thompson either didn't have a good back up in place or McCarthy failed to develop him.

It seems there are a lot of things you don't know. The funny part about your post is that Ted Thompson and Coach did develop a backup QB over years. Matt Flynn. The problem is that Flynn played so well when he did play, and he developed so well that other teams around the league - because of Thompson/McCarthy's reputation - other teams wanted him. So we scrambled to try to find people when Matt left and it just didn't work out when we did need our backup QB. Luckily we got him back after he didn't pan out as a starter.

SteelKing728 wrote:
But then you have Brian Brohm and Graham Harrell who have done absolutely nothing in the NFL. Why didn't they develop properly?

I forgot Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy were god with the sole purpose of developing every young QB they touch for the benefit of the entire league.

Nnivolcm wrote:
\
I'd like to laugh in the face of anyone who would try to make that argument. Warford in the 3rd is way more value than Bakhtiari in the 4th.

I don't think Bakhtiari played well last season. I think Warford could develop into an All-Pro type mainstay for you guys. I loved your Warford pick last year, I really liked him, but he's not for everyones scheme which is why he was a 3rd rounder. I think Bakhtiari could develop into a Pro-Bowl guard if he's ever put at that position. In my ideal world Bahktiari would be our RG but he's our LT. It's easy to say Warford was a better value now and I don't disagree. But Bahktiari is playing out of position if you ask me. But he's able to play any position which is a great value. So I understand the Packers fans here giving you had a hard time. Could Warford be a filler at LT? No. Could Bakhtiari be a great guard? Yes. But we don't know.

skywindO2 wrote:

Maybe I just have a different mindset for evaluating GMs than most people though. A team rising to top tier doesn't make a GM good. That makes them lucky. When that team stays at top tier status over the course of multiple years, that's when you know you have a good GM.

Well there we go. We have a good GM. He built a playoff team after a couple seasons in Seattle. Did the same thing in Green Bay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornOnDaCobb wrote:

That's because the 49ers and Seahawks have built the depth necessary to sustain success through injuries. We had Percy Harvin go out and the next man stepped up. We lost Brandon Browner unexpectedly and the next man stepped up. KJ Wright went down for the awhile and the eventual Superbowl MVP stepped up. The Niners didn't have Crabtree for most of the year and they dealt with it.

I don't really think it's debatable that both Baalke and Schneider have built a more complete roster since they took over than Thompson has in that same time.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornOnDaCobb wrote:

I personally don't think it's just pure coincidence that some certain teams suffer more injuries than others. I don't think it's just dumb luck. Now, I don't know where to point the finger exactly, because it could be the coaching staff, the training staff, or the GM or even something else.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:

Not to say that I don't think drafting Rodgers was a good move by Thompson, I just don't think it's really a shining moment of brilliance, nor do I consider it a risky move. Thompson took Rodgers, a guy considered to be a possible #1 overall pick for a team with an aging QB.

You really can't understand the risk associated with that move unless you were immersed in the Packerr/Favre culture at the time. That was a MASSIVE gamble.

This. Talk all you want about it not being some great success based simply on player evaluation and scouting but the fact is it's a move that took bigger balls than are possessed by most GMs.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

I personally don't think it's just pure coincidence that some certain teams suffer more injuries than others. I don't think it's just dumb luck. Now, I don't know where to point the finger exactly, because it could be the coaching staff, the training staff, or the GM or even something else.
You can't point to any reason why except that you just believe in it? That's some rock solid logic right there.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

That's because the 49ers and Seahawks have built the depth necessary to sustain success through injuries. We had Percy Harvin go out and the next man stepped up. We lost Brandon Browner unexpectedly and the next man stepped up. KJ Wright went down for the awhile and the eventual Superbowl MVP stepped up. The Niners didn't have Crabtree for most of the year and they dealt with it.

I don't really think it's debatable that both Baalke and Schneider have built a more complete roster since they took over than Thompson has in that same time.

Last season you had 7 guys on IR while we had 13 plus you and the Niners didn't lose your starting QB for half a season. The Niners lost Crabtree? Cry me a river. We lost Cobb 10 games. Your 'Hawks were one of the healthiest teams still standing in February. Don't talk to us about dealing with injuries. Unfortunately we've become experts. BTW, Schneider learned the GM ropes from Thompson. If I came off sounding annoyed it is posts like yours above that come off as condescending.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
SoS wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

Last season you had 7 guys on IR while we had 13 plus you and the Niners didn't lose your starting QB for half a season. The Niners lost Crabtree? Cry me a river. We lost Cobb 10 games. Your 'Hawks were one of the healthiest teams still standing in February. Don't talk to us about dealing with injuries. Unfortunately we've become experts. BTW, Schneider learned the GM ropes from Thompson. If I came off sounding annoyed it is posts like yours above that come off as condescending.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest of who had more injuries. I fully realize the Packers were majorly effected last season. But even if the Packers field all 11 starters on defense, that group wouldn't even come close to what Seattle and San Fran are putting out on the field. We have backups that are better than some of your starters.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest of who had more injuries. I fully realize the Packers were majorly effected last season. But even if the Packers field all 11 starters on defense, that group wouldn't even come close to what Seattle and San Fran are putting out on the field. We have backups that are better than some of your starters.

Bolded made me laugh.

Do the GMs only draft defense? Who drafts the other half?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Pugger wrote:
SoS wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

Which of your backups start for us? Smith/Wright, maybe?
Maybe Borland gets the nod over Brad Jones at the same spot.

On the flip side: Davante Adams likely starts for you guys, and Don Barclay likely starts somewhere along your line be it at Guard or Tackle.
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
SoS wrote:

Bolded made me laugh.

....you do realize that you didn't even bold the entire first sentence right....the two bolded statements weren't even connected.

And no, GMs are supposed to draft offense, defense, and special teams. It would appear Thompson has done a pretty poor job recently with at least one of those areas (defense). Maybe you guys should hire a co-GM to handle the defense though?
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
SoS wrote:

Bolded made me laugh.

....you do realize that you didn't even bold the entire first sentence right....the two bolded statements weren't even connected.

And no, GMs are supposed to draft offense, defense, and special teams. It would appear Thompson has done a pretty poor job recently with at least one of those areas (defense). Maybe you guys should hire a co-GM to handle the defense though?

Maybe that is Scheinder's thing. Cause we cannot draft offense. Together they would be a heckuva team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: